2.4 Could be called a Bait and Switch for PvPers

Skolops

these threads are such a fail, not once did they ever say it was PVP ONLY not once, they simply said the pvp'ers will be excited once they see what they are getting, nowhere within that does it state their will not be PVE content.

When they gave the new hint a month or w.e ago u should have known there was on operation comin, many times has the names "oricon" and "dread masters" been connected to the final operation in this story arch

which justifies them ignoring the numerous issues that are posted on these boards on a daily basis to include some minor content updates that nobody was asking for in the first place.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is gonna shut up because this update is atrocious... to PvP'ers. Right now I see about 70:30 for PvE/PvP or maybe even 80:20 for PvE/PvP.

Really sad.

:rolleyes:

I don't pvp much more then a casual side thing. I feel for you guys though. That said, I remember the first "summer of swtor" thread. It looked miniscule and pathetic. I was like ...."that's it for the entire summer?". Then they released more info and expanded on the original. It sounded pretty good then. I think they got some good content coming.

I think you should wait and see if there is more coming then they already have said. I believe there will be. If not... flame away. I just think its too early yet and that info is very light, like the first "summer of swtor" post was.

which justifies them ignoring the numerous issues that are posted on these boards on a daily basis to include some minor content updates that nobody was asking for in the first place.

heh yea they definetly need to fix alot of things not argueing against that hommie ! just the people who are mad this patch has pve content, but yes fixes are needed like a ****** on fridays

Oh, let's be honest... It could be the greatest PvP update in the history of MMO's and PvPers would still complain about it.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right...some would still complain. Unfortunately, this update for PvP isn't that one. This one just sucks balls and is the most pathetic piece of "hype" they've ever spewed.

Now that the inflammatory title is out of the way, let me say a few reasonable things.

So your thread could be called Bait and Switch? You posted it with an admittedly "inflammatory" title to try to get people to read it, lol. As to your point, it's just the typical overreaction by people on these forums. One post (and it was far from a comprehensive post) is made about some stuff coming in Update 2.4 (and we haven't even hit Update 2.3 yet) and some people freak out as if the entire Update is contained within the blurb about what's coming.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I know you are disappointed but I think the forums have shown that no matter what Bioware says or does there will be complaint threads ;)

Bioware could offer a free month of play and ten thousand CCs to every sub and someone would demand to know why it isn't two months and ten thousand and one CCs for people with red hair. People with strawberry blonde or auburn hair would demand to be assured that it would count as red for the purposes of this "event". Then it would be demanded that people provide birth certificates to prove that one of their parents was not an orangutan, thus giving them an unfair advantage on having red hair. Then the orangutan/human hybrids would revolt claiming that they are being singled out and decimate the human population using their natural ape strength and human cunning, leaving a just a few hundred enslaved humans alive. One human on a beach, staring at a washed up Collector's Edition box of the game will curse how we ruined everything and they that are definitely going to unsubscribe if the ape overlords, who now run things, do not take into account the needs of human survivors and their limited play time as slaves in the next patch.

Silly I know but I see it as a greater possibility than ever seeing an MMO forums that is united in their support and happiness with a game and its direction. :D

Edited by CKHelseth

these threads are such a fail, not once did they ever say it was PVP ONLY not once, they simply said the pvp'ers will be excited once they see what they are getting, nowhere within that does it state their will not be PVE content.

When they gave the new hint a month or w.e ago u should have known there was on operation comin, many times has the names "oricon" and "dread masters" been connected to the final operation in this story arch

oh come on now, you can't see why people would be upset with one mention of a 4x4 warzone?

Also, for those who are curious about the next updates to PvP, I will just say… apart from minor tweaks (like stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2) you should look forward to Game Update 2.4. /rubshands

Game Update 2.4 is also in the pipe and being worked on for an October release. Even though our mantra is smaller more frequent patches this particular update is shaping up to be very big, with tons of new content and big PvP updates especially targeting Ranked play.

I know you are disappointed but I think the forums have shown that no matter what Bioware says or does there will be complaint threads ;)

Bioware could offer a free month of play and ten thousand CCs to every sub and someone would demand to know why it isn't two months and ten thousand and one CCs for people with red hair. People with strawberry blonde or auburn hair would demand to be assured that it would count as red for the purposes of this "event". Then it would be demanded that people provide birth certificates to proved that one of their parents was not an orangutan, thus giving them an unfair advantage on having red hair. Then the orangutan/human hybrids would revolt claiming that they are being singled out and decimate the human population using their natural ape strength and human cunning, leaving a just a few hundred enslaved humans alive. One human on a beach, staring at a washed up Collector's Edition box of the game will curse how we ruined everything and they that are definitely going to unsubscribe if the ape overlords, who now run things, do not take into account the needs of human survivors and their limited play time as slaves in the next patch.

Silly I know but I see it as a greater possibility that every seeing an MMO forums that is united in their support and happiness with a game and its direction. :D

This is the single greatest post I have ever read on these forums, and it bears repeating!

This is the single greatest post I have ever read on these forums, and it bears repeating!

Agree, they are better off not saying **** and just letting the patch release to the test servers then live at the rate they get slammed no matter what they say. The fact its freaking July 16th and the patch Oct 1st target and they are made because they said "with tons of new content and big PvP updates especially targeting Ranked play." And they dont consider 4v4 Arenas as a "big PvP" update. Which really is interpretation really and the forum goers expecting more just like the Sub Bonus some people thought it meant they were getting a Death Star but they in turn only got a lousy 500 CC. Its a never ending cycle and people will never be happy.

**I am a exclusive PvPer and I might want more but the lack of decency and complaining by my fellow combatants is sad wait till Sept and lets see what else is coming and how many Arena maps there are. Hopefully S1 will start, with a ladder system, solo ranked queue (which was in the original ranked release till they pulled it at the last minute) and arena. this would address a number of complaints.

Now that the inflammatory title is out of the way, let me say a few reasonable things.

First, as an avid PvPer who has so little concern for PvE that I haven't even done most of the flashpoints a single time, I'm actually not upset that the dev post today lists patch 2.4 with a lot of PvE items in it and only one PvP item. I will be very happy to try some arean warzones or whatever they end up being.

Second, I think the powers that be have done a lot more for PvP than they are given credit for. For example, I think that 2.0 was almost exclusively a PvP patch. All of that class balancing and those new skills were not for PvErs, after all.

That being said, while I have been in the past thought a lot of folks were being unreasonable in complaining about the state of PvP in the game, if anyone does about this update I really can't look to harshly upon them. 2.4 was billed as an enormous PvP update, so to have it delineated as being 2/3 PvE will no doubt greatly disappoint and upset many people, and while I still look forward to what is to come, I cannot blame them.

I called this back when they posted the original summer of swtor thread and hinted at an ops. I'm extremely surprised there are two ops. If I were a PvPer I'd be mad too. You guys seemed to get no real focus hear. :-/

Agree, they are better off not saying **** and just letting the patch release to the test servers then live at the rate they get slammed no matter what they say. The fact its freaking July 16th and the patch Oct 1st target and they are made because they said "with tons of new content and big PvP updates especially targeting Ranked play." And they dont consider 4v4 Arenas as a "big PvP" update. Which really is interpretation really and the forum goers expecting more just like the Sub Bonus some people thought it meant they were getting a Death Star but they in turn only got a lousy 500 CC. Its a never ending cycle and people will never be happy.

**I am a exclusive PvPer and I might want more but the lack of decency and complaining by my fellow combatants is sad wait till Sept and lets see what else is coming and how many Arena maps there are. Hopefully S1 will start, with a ladder system, solo ranked queue (which was in the original ranked release till they pulled it at the last minute) and arena. this would address a number of complaints.

no. the post referred to was hyperbole. not the mean sort, but an over exaggerated statement intended to be amusing. that's not bad or anything, but it's not helpful in any way either.

bioware should be communicating. the problem is, sometimes they do things that will piss off a lot of their subscribers. what they need to do, in my opinion, is put a bit of effort into listening to the community and try to understand what game their players want to play. then make decisions that will guide the game in that direction. if they don't know their decisions piss off a lot of people, they should be trying to figure out why they don't understand what people want. if they do know what players want, and are trying to piss us off anyway, they should quit doing that.

there is always the possibility they have been listening and the fact is, everyone wants pve content and only tux (plus a few other people on the forums) want to see pvp updates. if that's the case, i really think they need to communicate that. that is the sort of statement that will definitely piss off a lot of people, but players should really know that's the direction of the game.

as you mentioned, the october pvp patch is a long ways off and there is plenty of time. however, bioware did set high expectations. they should try to meet those expectations, and they should be communicating with us, honestly, about what they're planning to do to meet those expectations.

Second, I think the powers that be have done a lot more for PvP than they are given credit for. For example, I think that 2.0 was almost exclusively a PvP patch. All of that class balancing and those new skills were not for PvErs, after all.

See that right there is the biggest problem that I have with PvP and why I honestly feel it doesn't belong in games like this. Inevitably every single time some whacked out balancing is instituted to "balance PvP" it screws up the PvE side of the equation. The worst part is these devs (industry wide not just here) never get it. They never seem to figure out that the only way to ultimately fix it is to either make two completely different rule and skill sets one for PvE and one for PvP or just get rid of one or the other entirely.

Edit: /rant

Edited by Hyfy

no. the post referred to was hyperbole. not the mean sort, but an over exaggerated statement intended to be amusing. that's not bad or anything, but it's not helpful in any way either.

You are completely correct. But I ask you to consider the very real threat that human/orangutan hybrids have not just on this game but the entire game industry! Need proof?

Here it is! :eek:

See that right there is the biggest problem that I have with PvP and why I honestly feel it doesn't belong in games like this. Inevitably every single time some whacked out balancing is instituted to "balance PvP" it screws up the PvE side of the equation. The worst part is these devs (industry wide not just here) never get it. They never seem to figure out that the only way to ultimately fix it is to either make two completely different rule and skill sets one for PvE and one for PvP or just get rid of one or the other entirely.

Edit: /rant

Well I vote for PvE to be gone. Goodbye static and scripted gameplay! Hello dynamic and multiplayer gameplay!

:D

No one is gonna shut up because this update is atrocious... to PvP'ers. Right now I see about 70:30 for PvE/PvP or maybe even 80:20 for PvE/PvP.

Really sad.

Since in terms of importance to the game PvP is about 10%, it's getting 2 or 3 times as much as it deserves.

It is only bait and switch if Arena pvp fails to improve the PvP experience imho. It is no small task making this work either. WoW tried it and failed horribly. I hope they know what they are doing :rod_frown_p:

The problem with small team arena combat is that it puts class balance under a microscope, the QQ for pvp is always bad don't get me wrong, but this shall likely make things even worse.