2.4 Could be called a Bait and Switch for PvPers

Skolops

Now that the inflammatory title is out of the way, let me say a few reasonable things.

First, as an avid PvPer who has so little concern for PvE that I haven't even done most of the flashpoints a single time, I'm actually not upset that the dev post today lists patch 2.4 with a lot of PvE items in it and only one PvP item. I will be very happy to try some arean warzones or whatever they end up being.

Second, I think the powers that be have done a lot more for PvP than they are given credit for. For example, I think that 2.0 was almost exclusively a PvP patch. All of that class balancing and those new skills were not for PvErs, after all.

That being said, while I have been in the past thought a lot of folks were being unreasonable in complaining about the state of PvP in the game, if anyone does about this update I really can't look to harshly upon them. 2.4 was billed as an enormous PvP update, so to have it delineated as being 2/3 PvE will no doubt greatly disappoint and upset many people, and while I still look forward to what is to come, I cannot blame them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the inflammatory title is out of the way, let me say a few reasonable things.

First, as an avid PvPer who has so little concern for PvE that I haven't even done most of the flashpoints a single time, I'm actually not upset that the dev post today lists patch 2.4 with a lot of PvE items in it and only one PvP item. I will be very happy to try some arean warzones or whatever they end up being.

Second, I think the powers that be have done a lot more for PvP than they are given credit for. For example, I think that 2.0 was almost exclusively a PvP patch. All of that class balancing and those new skills were not for PvErs, after all.

That being said, while I have been in the past thought a lot of folks were being unreasonable in complaining about the state of PvP in the game, if anyone does about this update I really can't look to harshly upon them. 2.4 was billed as an enormous PvP update, so to have it delineated as being 2/3 PvE will no doubt greatly disappoint and upset many people, and while I still look forward to what is to come, I cannot blame them.

its definitely a bait and switch.

we are told we are getting one thing, and then given something completely different.

and 2.0 a PvP patch? lolwut.... we got new abilities/class balance for the new level cap and PvE content. we got a new Boslter mechanic, which has been broken since release and not actually be fixed yet.

this is bad. despite the fact that PvP is incredibly popular in this game, bioware continues to ignore it.

Yep. We ALL know that the 4 things they've listed are the only things that will be included. There is no way they could add anything new, and they definitely won't include anymore PvP stuff.

It isn't a bait and switch. If you think you've been baited -- you made a moronic decision. Hardcore PvPers should've probably unsubbed until the 2.4 patch notes came out.

Anyway -- point is. If 2.4 really doesn't include anything more for PvP than just 4v4, break out the torches and pitchforks, because that would be BW making a huge mistake. Until actual patch notes are released, how about everyone steps back and shuts up?

The only thing 2.0 brought was horrible bolster.

I'm not even a PVP'er, and I'm VERY excited about all the PVE content coming, but after hearing all the talk of 2.4 being a big update for PVP'ers, this does seem to be a bit of a let down. Of course, it still is possible that there's more to it that we aren't getting. Last update made no mention of operations at all, let alone two, so it could just be a matter of them not sure how much they're able to complete for this particular target date.

Anyway -- point is. If 2.4 really doesn't include anything more for PvP than just 4v4, break out the torches and pitchforks, because that would be BW making a huge mistake. Until actual patch notes are released, how about everyone steps back and shuts up?

While it's a little early to be going all out, it's not a bad idea for the devs to see what kind of reaction they will be getting if all they release in what's supposed to be a major pvp patch is 4x4 arenas. Early feedback = possible course corrections.

Maybe they found a pvp game-breaking bug that they need to address before they confirm it will be released officially with the patch.

Or maybe it could be a surprise.

Or maybe they don't want to give too much info as that will cause people dream(self-inflicted) up a PVP god-patch, then be extremely let down.

While it's a little early to be going all out, it's not a bad idea for the devs to see what kind of reaction they will be getting if all they release in what's supposed to be a major pvp patch is 4x4 arenas. Early feedback = possible course corrections.

Correct. But the possible course corrections may delay the patch which will cause just as big a uproar.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! That is EXACTLY why I feel we need to make noise NOW. If that's all there is, there's no sense in even doing it...focus on more PvE instead. And I mean that...they would honestly be better off just dropping this facade that they give a f*** about PvP and just dedicate all resources to PvE.

these threads are such a fail, not once did they ever say it was PVP ONLY not once, they simply said the pvp'ers will be excited once they see what they are getting, nowhere within that does it state their will not be PVE content.

When they gave the new hint a month or w.e ago u should have known there was on operation comin, many times has the names "oricon" and "dread masters" been connected to the final operation in this story arch

I really think people are going to have to see the impact of these arenas on PvP before getting too worked up. I mean if they get queues popping and bring more competitive ranks teams in then it will be a great patch.

My guild is PvE focused and has always struggled to field an 8-man ranked team. A four man team is more than within our ability to do. I would expect that many other guild like mine will see this as a more viable way to be active in ranked PvP without having having to make it our focus.

Again they have to work and be fun, but if Bioware can make it so I think it will grow the PvP community and allow Bioware to make improvements/expansions to PvP a greater priority to development without worrying about having to feed the endgame PvE beast at every turn as well.