Taunt ,Challenging call,

genesisization

Those skills are useful only during pve (with the exception of the skill Guardianship - Challenging call combo) . Since the times of L - L2 a game that was named king of MMOs tanks had those 2 skills in order to aggro not only mobs - bosses but players too ... You will prolly say that it works like that but those taunts should be the ID of the tanks therefore they should be affect players on the same way. That means Change of the Target for 4-6 sec ...I would seriously rock since it would give a better meaning in the word "Tank". Edited by genesisization

In PvP the taunt skills just work different.

Example: single target taunt: In PvP, a player who is affected by the taunt and does not attack the taunting player, will have their damage dignificantly reduced.

There is even a medal category for this kind of taunting effect.

I disagree. I do not care about mobs, but I as a player should be the only one to decide, who I am attacking. Crowd Control can stop me from attacking, but it should never make me attack someone, that I do not want to attack.

Besides that would create a real hassle with the knight/warrior thorn ability... First force the enemy to attack them and then reflect the damage back at them? Sorry, no way. I do play my char, noone else should ever be able to decide, what my char is doing (except for dying).

I disagree. I do not care about mobs, but I as a player should be the only one to decide, who I am attacking. Crowd Control can stop me from attacking, but it should never make me attack someone, that I do not want to attack.

Besides that would create a real hassle with the knight/warrior thorn ability... First force the enemy to attack them and then reflect the damage back at them? Sorry, no way. I do play my char, noone else should ever be able to decide, what my char is doing (except for dying).

That's a word of a random pvper that he can only spam blind skills on one target . Plus the Reflect has a cap and it lasts for 6 seconds . it can't reflect a lot of dmg .This is the only MMO that taunt doesn't have this effect and it's a killer for those that wish to enjoy pure tanking on pvp too .If you were even close to be called a decent pvp player you should be able to cease your attacks or just see the animation of the saber reflect .But it seems that it's so hard right ? :D

Edited by genesisization

This is the only MMO?

Oh is it? In Rift the taunting abilities got absolutely no effect in PvP at all.... so I guess that invalidates your 'fact'.

Also here in SWTOR the taunt abilities already got a pretty decent effect. To be honest, I would be really irritiated, if some measly skill were able to totally confused my heroic Jedi or sneaky smuggler to attack an enemy, which I absolutely know to be no threat but only a nuisance, that I cannot possibly kill as long as the healer lives.

This is the only MMO?

Oh is it? In Rift the taunting abilities got absolutely no effect in PvP at all.... so I guess that invalidates your 'fact'.

Also here in SWTOR the taunt abilities already got a pretty decent effect. To be honest, I would be really irritiated, if some measly skill were able to totally confused my heroic Jedi or sneaky smuggler to attack an enemy, which I absolutely know to be no threat but only a nuisance, that I cannot possibly kill as long as the healer lives.

Rift was a 99 % pve based mmo . Plus the thing you are qqing for is actually THE ROLE OF THE TANK.

Rift was a 99 % pve based mmo . Plus the thing you are qqing for is actually THE ROLE OF THE TANK.

Rift is as much a PvE game as SWTOR is. Rift had PvP servers and warzones and with the namegiving rifts there was actually quite some fighting in the open world.

And if you believe, that calling my arguments "qqing" will in any way make you look good, then I got to say... You are mistaken.

Your definition of a tank is to control who other players can attack and who not.

Biowares definition of a tank in PvP seems to be to protect their fellow group and to significantly lower the damage of the enemy.

You advocate a change in the system. I like the system as it is.

You call my arguments crying... I will not go that low in return.

Rift is as much a PvE game as SWTOR is. Rift had PvP servers and warzones and with the namegiving rifts there was actually quite some fighting in the open world.

And if you believe, that calling my arguments "qqing" will in any way make you look good, then I got to say... You are mistaken.

Your definition of a tank is to control who other players can attack and who not.

Biowares definition of a tank in PvP seems to be to protect their fellow group and to significantly lower the damage of the enemy.

You advocate a change in the system. I like the system as it is.

You call my arguments crying... I will not go that low in return.

Common let's be realistic . You are just countering my arguments cause you can't play anything else than a F1-F4 buttons class . Plus instead of following the steps of wow & rift bioware should think about this cause Tank's role is to aggro & absorb a percent of the dmg .If you are such a good pvp player i dare you to accept this and sign . 4 seconds aoe aggresion per 1 min is not that big deal . Unless you can't even face that . o.O

I actually never claimed to be "such a good" PVP player and I surely will not sign a suggestion of some individual who cannot get a point across without needing to belittle other people, who do not agree with their suggestion.

Taunts have no effect on pvp in WoW as well, or at least they didn't for the 4 years that I played

RFO taunts did not have any effect on pvp and that was a pvpmmo

the only one I have heard of it actually controlling a player's actions is L/L2

SWTOR's taunt effects are brilliant, IMO, it's a debuff in pvp, you're distracting another player with a taunt, causing them to do significantly reduced damage to their targets, unless they attack you.

actually controlling characters actions like that is overly exploitable, everyone would roll tanks in pvp and spam taunt/spikes or taunt/cd's, it would cause some serious balance issues

also, 4 seconds in pvp is an eternity, and worse

not only does it force you off your original target, but you have to chase your new target down, by then it will have worn off, if you're not already dead on the ground, you lose additional time trying to reaquire your original target

Edited by AnonConundra
additional info

I don't like this idea. The taunts work perfect as is. The role of a tank in pvp is completely different than in pve. In pve the goal is to take up as much Aggro so only you are taking damaged (at a reduced rate if a dpser) and the healer only has to focus you instead of trying to heal everyone at once. In pvp tanking is about reducing the damage players take. Whether you guard them and soak up some of their damage or use the taunt to reduce their damage output. Your goal is not to take damage as to instead reduce damage. Taunts would never be used if they changed it to how you were suggesting. Use aoe taunt everyone automatically switches to you at once and creams you. just seems ridiculous to change it to something like that when their system works just fine.

eh, I'll keep my "oh so you thought you could kill that ball carrier, please do keep attacking them and dealing no damage" ability

and as much as I hate to bring up WoW

1 . there is no such thing as guard at all (and I find guard extremely useful in pvp)

2. taunts ARE 100% useless in pvp. and before you say anything about pve based game - TOR is primarily pve based game and through sheer quantity, it has far less content for pvp, then WoW.

so. no. I don't see how your claim that taunt is useless has any validity. and I definitely dislike your suggestions. players are not npc's. its the whole point of playing with real people rather than artificial intelligence greater degree of unpredictability.

incidentally, for anyone that's wondering - the way guard and taunts and a lot of other tricks in pvp work in SWTOR - is thanks to mythic developers who originally worked on warhammer. say what you will about warhammer, but it IS a primarily pvp based game and its kinda sad that its population keeps dwindling due to barely there skeleton crew and no new additions to the game to speak off. because as far as pvp goes? its pretty darn fun

Edited by Jeweledleah

By implementing taunts in PvP, that would make the warriors source of life, namely the healer, virtually untouchable. You will almost allways take out the healer first in a somewhat controlled fight in PvP. If you take that option away from the fight, then you will make any PvP event play out similar to a PvE event.. Sorry, I dont think that would be a such a good idea..

Seriously ? You dare to compare wow & wh with Lineage ? ? ? Those games were based on L series(that exist since 1998) and now they are nearly dead while Lineage got more than 200 k players and that's only on retail servers .(Not mentioning the private ones) . You are all arguing with this cause obviously you won't be able to do w/e you wish during pvp . Aggression means initiation of a hostile attack .The word itself means the violation of the rights you got @ targeting someone . Prolly you don't even know the difference between Taunt & Aggression as words. Plus i can't find how an Aoe Aggression per minute that lasts 4-6 seconds can be such a bad idea . Lmao if you can't counter such an effect . :D .You are just all playing dps classes and you just want to blindly kill others w/o something being able to stop you except death ofc ... Edited by genesisization

By implementing taunts in PvP, that would make the warriors source of life, namely the healer, virtually untouchable. You will almost allways take out the healer first in a somewhat controlled fight in PvP. If you take that option away from the fight, then you will make any PvP event play out similar to a PvE event.. Sorry, I dont think that would be a such a good idea..

If you can't find more than 4 ways to counter this effect during pvp w/e class you are using the only thing that makes me think about your pvp experience on various mmos is that you should be better killing lvl 1-2 mobs .Players are not mobs .Mobs can't counter those effects , Players can . PvP means Player vs Player so i can't find any good reasons why those effects shouldn't be applied on PvP.

Edited by genesisization

I think you got the wrong idea, in pvp tanks uses taunt to reduce enemy players dmg and peel off some angry kiddo from your uncle healer while your brother in law can kill the raging kiddo who will leave wz while tank dps healer combo reduce his dmg wont die and kill him like a boss, tanks cc/interrupt/peel/mitigate the enemy's dmg and protect healers or dpses and have the best orgy in your life:) Edited by Neptuka

I think you got the wrong idea, in pvp tanks uses taunt to reduce enemy players dmg and peel off some angry kiddo from your uncle healer while your brother in law can kill the raging kiddo who will leave wz while tank dps healer combo reduce his dmg wont die and kill him like a boss, tanks cc/interrupt/peel/mitigate the enemy's dmg and protect healers or dpses and have the best orgy in your life:)

They should be able to force a player to change his target . This is the meaning of aggression .I don't have any probs . I can still keep alive a healer even versus 5-6 imps .Though i would love those skills to work like L series that prove themselves immortal since 1998 instead of being WoW like .

Edited by genesisization

City of Heroes and City of Villains had this exact same set up. It was horrible. You might think it sounds good, but if it was actually implemented, you would be right back on these forums wanting things to go back the way they were. Been there, done that, glad it's over.

City of Heroes and City of Villains had this exact same set up. It was horrible. You might think it sounds good, but if it was actually implemented, you would be right back on these forums wanting things to go back the way they were. Been there, done that, glad it's over.

I am not talking about the set up of a failed game . I am talking about the effects of those skills on the most Successful game ever created in the history of MMos and it's stile alive since 1998 with huge numbers of players.

simple answer, just because it worked for one game does not mean it will work for another

wow is not swotor is not lineage is not warhammer is not anything else

the actual effects are based on the mechanic of the game's engine itself

if swtor used lineage's engine it would probably work great, but it does not, and that's where your problems arise

if this was to be implemented, the only way for it to be unbalanced, would be fore you to have a 'soft' target for those 4-6 seconds, after which you would automatically re-target your original target, the range would have to be limited, close to melee range. at that point, it would still be more of a CC than 'aggression' like you call it

and as for your slurs and slanders, no, I don't dps, I heal, offensively, it would help me keep people alive, defensively it wouldn't really have an effect on me, unless again, you're using it as a CC and forcing me to stop heals to attack you, at that point, there are just better options

Edited by AnonConundra