Cutscene storytelling; A small problem worth a think!

Zoxos

This isn't a large problem. Nor is it a crucial bug. Just a small potent fix we may all want to consider for the advancement of the wonderful stories your content provides. Without bragging for a few paragraphs I will just say I do know a little about storytelling and just let barking dogs lie.

Tragic Problem: The cut scene of a player ship taking off from a planetary spaceport should happen only after a character has selected an intended destination. A major glitch eh?

Example: On Taris in the Smuggler storyline our hero must head back and forth from his/her ship to speak with an NPC. The ship taking off and landing cut scene between that point in the story doesn't fit. This is an example and isn't exclusive to the Smuggler.

The Fix: From a planetary destination, or all, save the cutscene until just after the character chooses a destination. This saves loading a landing scene in such rare events as players who don't have enough money to fly anywhere, or when a player has remembered he left his wife and clingy group member wallowing at a spaceport. Excuse me while I cringe.

Benefit: Try it out in your mind, or while testing. The effect is that it adds drama and power to the overall game play. Imagine being the player who is about to fly off to face his sworn nemesis, on that last click of the space map the cutscene plays pulling the ship away with all the John Williams and engines wailing- suddenly you are OFF into the limitless realm of space. Just try it, please. If not for me, for the fuming spouses of Anchorhead Spaceport.

To the IT Staff: If I humbly inspire this change, and you, the IT gurus, are required to fix it- I hope it is an easy one. If it isn't and long hours away are required- I hope you stay sane. If you can't stay sane remember, it is you that ultimately controls the fate of the galaxy.

That is it. Ranting done. All finished. Have a great morning, and a better tomorrow. May the Schwartz be with you.

Warm Regards,

I tend to agree here, the cutscenes should be moved to the selection of a destination, not entering the ship. This does, however mean the ship viewport(s) would need to be updated to show the room the ship is in, not space with x planet whacked in.

I tend to agree here, the cutscenes should be moved to the selection of a destination, not entering the ship. This does, however mean the ship viewport(s) would need to be updated to show the room the ship is in, not space with x planet whacked in.

One small problem. I already apologized to IT for the minor change. I mean, it would be too much work to look outside your ship and see the side of a hangar. That would bring the dreaded Graphics Team online, and everyone knows IT hates graphics. They can take years to copy and paste something, it is like they do it on purpose.

Okay...drafting a new apology to the Graphics Staff Chick, you are right. Of course they could fix it all by pinning the same "wall of hanger" graphic to every spaceport, and a "space" one to the fleet and orbitals :-)

Thank you for the support Chicktopus and Thalen_Loire. The lost wives of Anchorhead salute you.

Edited by Zoxos

The cut scene of a player ship taking off from a planetary spaceport should happen only after a character has selected an intended destination.

500% support from me in that matter! :)

Then your character could run inside your ship and interact with a chatty companion, the holo terminal or as Zoxos stated selected a destination. I suggested in another thread yesterday that I even wanted to have a toggle option on if I wanted to see cutscenes more than 1 time. I use space bar every time in about 90% of all cutscenes; Flashpoint, landing/taking off with your starship etc, and I would very much be able to autoskip if I've seen the cutscene before.