Why are all the SWTOR databases dying?

Dawginole

The game's launch was quite ambitious. On the order of World of Warcraft. Item DB sites anticipated something more socially significant. When this did not pan out, interest and therefore third party support dropped off accordingly.

Very true. But WoW allowed api's that would auto update from what I understand. If all we have is .dat mining then you really have to have a good crew that is willing to mine .dat files and post up the findings. Which is a pain the butt and a part of the bygone era of MMO's that most people don't have the patience for anymore.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a misnomer. SWTOR's QA hasn't gone away, it's never been there to begin with.

That's not the correct usage of misnomer. "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."/Inigo Montoya

Probably because GW2 updates their game 3x as often.

FREE game, with FREE content update every 2 weeks. Just thinking about it why am I still subbed to this game? I pay a monthly sub, don't even get monthly content and the swtor cash shop gets updated nearly twice as much as new content goes out for paying a sub. Even when we do get new content bioware seems to monetize half the features within it.

I'm not against the cartel market but I am against being ripped out. The worst part is this dev cycle will never be broken as long as people keep cranking in hundreds of dollars. Can you imagine the kind of bonuses Corey and Jeff get now? Do you honestly think they will put their team into a direction that gives subs content in a timely manner? 10 Months for a pvp update? Over a year without a new FP? And almost 10 months of running the game OP and having the title of new slapped on it because they scaled the level?

Its just sad.

FREE game, with FREE content update every 2 weeks. Just thinking about it why am I still subbed to this game?

Obviously I cannot answer this question for your case, but for me the answer is: "Cause SWTOR does entertain me, while GW2 does not" :)

See there.. neither important or notable to me. :)

Mods are pretty self-evident IMO... with just a little assistance from Mr Google.

Crafting recipes....yeah....BUT don't you need something much better then the broadband databases for this... like an actual crafters website?? If I were a crafter.. I would consider this a special purpose website category.

Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Where does "Mr Google" get "his" data? It's all from datamined sites. If they stop updating, "Mr Google" isn't going to generate that data from scratch.

As for Crafting, the Ask Mr Robot database is just about perfect for the schematics, and torhead has discussion on each of the materials as to the best places people have found to get them. Much as I love(d) crafting sites such as EQtraders for EverQuest, this game doesn't need that, the "levelling path" is pretty self-evident.

Incidentally, this is why I paid for premium access to Ask Mr. Robot -- even though they were losing money on the site, they didn't want to just close it down and indeed updated their databases.

Shame torparse is going to die but it was expected. Those who undertake such projects will quit after a while because, correct me if I am wrong, but SWTOR does not allow a lot of things. A trivial task, which I have to do on a daily basis, is to cross match my guildies with an excel **** and manually enter teh GB amount on my site. This is nothing compared to creating a database with all the items, stats, etc. So thank BioWare for neglecting this side of the community. Guess we don't buy enough cartel pax!

Database been semi-dead for a year now, most of the stuff added recently were data-mined back during 1.2 PTS.

Torhead is probably the worst they want me to sub to their network, yet they jumped from 1.4 to 1.7 without adding anything, 4-5 month without any update.

Probably because GW2 updates their game 3x as often.

4x actually (they moved to a 2 week patch cycle ) + daily (or 3 daily bug fixes, which only need a game restart and they tell you its gonna happen an hour or 2 before), the fact thats it pay once and you get more stuff out of it than a subscription should give you an idea how bad this game has become.

(Potential = 110%)+(Greed = 110%)= (Content and update = 10%)

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Torhead just updated their datebase too 2.2.2. So its far from dead.

It may not be dead but it's terrible and useless. I'm actually more frustrated with it now knowing someone is still updating it but it's still that bad.

To answer the question of the poll I think there were some people that really thought this game would be a WoW killer or at least thought it was worth hedging their bet by making a database for it. When it proved not to be most people decided to drop their focus on and focus on WoW like a lot of games did. I hate to say it, but this is the reality. The game could still get better and draw back the numbers it had a launch, but unless that happens I doubt will have a good set of databases or a great theorycrafting community. There's stuff out there, but it's pretty few and far between.

It's because BW keeps changing things too much and there's no ad money anymore in keeping the database sites up to date. Not enough hits anymore. Heck, the Codex window isn't even coordinated with the Legacy window. It's a mess and no-one wants to deal with it.

Shame torparse is going to die but it was expected. Those who undertake such projects will quit after a while because, correct me if I am wrong, but SWTOR does not allow a lot of things. A trivial task, which I have to do on a daily basis, is to cross match my guildies with an excel **** and manually enter teh GB amount on my site. This is nothing compared to creating a database with all the items, stats, etc. So thank BioWare for neglecting this side of the community. Guess we don't buy enough cartel pax!

In the Torparse dev's case, it's simply because he stopped playing swtor and his heart isn't in putting the time in anymore, not because his hands are tied by any limitations or financial reasons..

I've noticed that since 2.0 none of the SWTOR databases like swtor-spy or torhead are adding new items. What's up with this? Seems like a bad sign for the game for this to be happening. Anyone know of a good up to date database besides these?

Torhead died months ago, they just never even bothered to post that they stopped updating it. If they ARE updating it, they are doing a god awful job. It's more broken now than it was before 2.0.

Worse still, TorParse is going down as well now. I think it's just the beginning of the end - anyone playing this game any more than casually needs these out of game ressources. Without them ... well *turns off the lights*.

Edited by Asavrede

The only reason why the fan/community sites are dying is because Bioware have been one of the WORST CM teams for supporting such sites. To them, a community is a forum, facebook page and twitter. FORCE YAWN

Did you forget that they actually went to fan sites to bring information about 2.0? Of course everyone here was like "OMG Bioware why you know give us information here and go to the fansites! (despite that they linked to all the fansites on the main site and forum)"

What do you suggest that they do?

Did you forget that they actually went to fan sites to bring information about 2.0? Of course everyone here was like "OMG Bioware why you know give us information here and go to the fansites! (despite that they linked to all the fansites on the main site and forum)"

What do you suggest that they do?

Too little way too late. I was running a fan site. And thanks to my contacts at LucasArts, attended several hands on events pre-launch, generated my OWN content - until a one David Bass told me to stop going when EA took everything over. So I challenged him and he just said to use stuff from the official website. BIG DEAL.

They dont understand community - never have and never will and the proof is already out there because for an MMO thats not even two years old, its left with a handful of sites that are bothering

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Those who undertake such projects will quit after a while

Those who undertake such projects will quit when they lose intrest in game, simple as that. That is why running popular site for game makes one 'important person', as you quitting sends message to everyone using you site that there is something going on with game. Also reason why usually those sites recieve extra attention (when possible) directly from devs/community representatives, to keep them with game. Well, as I've said, usually.

Too little way too late. I was running a fan site. And thanks to my contacts at LucasArts, attended several hands on events pre-launch, generated my OWN content - until a one David Bass told me to stop going when EA took everything over. So I challenged him and he just said to use stuff from the official website. BIG DEAL.

They dont understand community - never have and never will and the proof is already out there because for an MMO thats not even two years old, its left with a handful of sites that are bothering

Now this is an interesting post. Let's stick with this for a moment. Because I do believe you are right, but I would like to talk about what needs to change from EA/Bioware's standpoint that could improve the community. It may or may not be too late, but it doesn't hurt to try. I don't believe the average person knows what goes on with fan sites and user generated content.

Now this is an interesting post. Let's stick with this for a moment. Because I do believe you are right, but I would like to talk about what needs to change from EA/Bioware's standpoint that could improve the community. It may or may not be too late, but it doesn't hurt to try. I don't believe the average person knows what goes on with fan sites and user generated content.

It's too late and frankly, once Mr Bass said that to me, I gave up. I used to run a very successful website for Star wars Galaxies and various other SW game sites so I knew what to do, understood NDA etc and if a company like LucasArts could trust me, that says it all.

Community is more than just posting on a forum - they need to get out there - play on servers with the community, interact more, talk about the community sites, the pvp videos, the 'how to guides' and actually show some community love. But when you treat your job as a typical 9-5, you are either not passionate about community or the game you are working on.

Essentially the finger of blame points at both Sean and Stephen who simply didnt have a plan, or they did and EA/Bioware said 'no'. If you look at the success of other games and not just MMOs, it all centres around PGC(player generated content) and for any MMO to be a success, community and their fan sites are critical.

Hence why almost 2 years on, SWTOR is on life support.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Neither of those sites have real backing of sponsors. Torhead being the exception, being signed on with Curse (I believe) DarthHater is still running and has its own database. It happens with a lot of games where they have all this data to collect but nobody around to help them collect it.

It's too late and frankly, once Mr Bass said that to me, I gave up.

Alright, move along then.

Neither of those sites have real backing of sponsors. Torhead being the exception, being signed on with Curse (I believe) DarthHater is still running and has its own database. It happens with a lot of games where they have all this data to collect but nobody around to help them collect it.

Torhead is owned by Zam. Darthhater is owned by Curse.

Alright, move along then.

I will be. sub runs out in 2 weeks. But you miss the point totally. If you want things to move forward, then the Bioware Community Team need a total brain transplant and start activity getting involved, instead of being over paid forum moderators.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Hence why almost 2 years on, SWTOR is on life support.

Is it? I was under the impression that since going F2P, the game had gained a lot of new players (1.7 million new accounts by the end of last year) and was beginning to stabilize.

Obviously I cannot answer this question for your case, but for me the answer is: "Cause SWTOR does entertain me, while GW2 does not" :)

Same here. Sure, they may have more content updates that are free, but they dont interest me in the slightest, especially when compared to SWTOR, a game I really do love playing. :)

Edited by Cyberwoman

I will be. sub runs out in 2 weeks. But you miss the point totally. If you want things to move forward, then the Bioware Community Team need a total brain transplant and start activity getting involved, instead of being over paid forum moderators.

I didn't miss the point. I just didn't have anything to say to you from that response.

Not sure how much more involved they can get, I'm trying to think of how community teams in other games get involved and I don't personally know any that do much more than this one does.

:(

The only reason why the fan/community sites are dying is because Bioware have been one of the WORST CM teams for supporting such sites. To them, a community is a forum, facebook page and twitter. FORCE YAWN

SWTOR is not responsible for fan sites. Fan sites are responsible for fan sites.

It is clear from listening to Dulfy and a few others over the last year that they DO in fact support fansite content owners. Ones that in their assessment have the actual interests of the fans and the game in mind. You are just using this topic to further promote your hate rhetoric that you splatter all over the forum about the game and the devs. Get over yourself and move on IMO.

You know what the real issue is with fansites in most cases now days? THEY ARE NOT FANSITES... they are internet profit centers for the owners. Problem is... they are not profitable and so they fold shop. They are not doing it for the fans.. they are doing it for themselves and just leveraging off of whatever the next MMO launch is. This is why most of them are centered around a database core....not because players need that most, but because it is the easiest thing for them to launch and maintain that has potential to draw page hits and ad revenue.

It used to be fansites were actually fansites. Most now days are not. This is one of the reasons why I appreciate Dulfy so much. She is doing exactly what classic fansites do. There are some others as well, such as torparse, but honestly they are in the minority today.

Edited by Andryah