Why are all the SWTOR databases dying?

Dawginole

I've noticed that since 2.0 none of the SWTOR databases like swtor-spy or torhead are adding new items. What's up with this? Seems like a bad sign for the game for this to be happening. Anyone know of a good up to date database besides these?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that since 2.0 none of the SWTOR databases like swtor-spy or torhead are adding new items. What's up with this? Seems like a bad sign for the game for this to be happening. Anyone know of a good up to date database besides these?

You could make one yourself.

One of the main reasons is that SWTOR doesn't allow addons that collect data like other games do. Torhead, for instance, has the majority of its data uploaded through a program that people can download. It's more more difficult to do it manually.

The other reason is just a smaller dedicated community to put the time in to upload data.

Also, the smaller the community, the less they can make money off their sites to keep them going.

However, Dulty keeps her site up to date.

Edited by chuixupu

One of the main reasons is that SWTOR doesn't allow addons that collect data like other games do. Torhead, for instance, has the majority of its data uploaded through a program that people can download. It's more more difficult to do it manually.

The other reason is just a smaller dedicated community to put the time in to upload data.

Also, the smaller the community, the less they can make money off their sites to keep them going.

Which is surprising since she does 3x as many GW2 updates.

This!

Dulfy keeps us up to date on all the new gear.

The databases always sucked anyway IMO. Who cares about thousands of randomized gear pieces?

I much prefer Dulfy's approach. Anything actually important or notable.. Dulfy has it covered.

Torhead just updated their datebase too 2.2.2. So its far from dead.

Really the only one I have ever used. Even then.... it does not get enough player submitted content (photos, comments), so it's kind of worthless IMO. I want a picture of the item, first and foremost.

Edited by Andryah

This!

Dulfy keeps us up to date on all the new gear.

The databases always sucked anyway IMO. Who cares about thousands of randomized gear pieces?

I much prefer Dulfy's approach. Anything actually important or notable.. Dulfy has it covered.

Dulfy does not have it covered by any stretch of the imagination. What Dulfy covers is good for F2P'ers or casuals that just want to know what new armor shells, pets or mounts are coming with a new CM, event, or Op update. Folks who are looking for crafting recipes or BiS mods need more than a blog post with some pictures, they need traditional databases. I enjoy Dulfy's guides and use them often, but that doesn't supplant the need for a database.

Torhead just updated their datebase too 2.2.2. So its far from dead.

I'm not sure what they are updating, but it's not equipment. Test me on this. Go search for these random 2.0+ gear pieces I just randomly picked:

Advanced Adept Enhancement 31

Kell Dragon "anything"

Underworld Force-Master's Gloves

Folks who are looking for crafting recipes or BiS mods need more than a blog post with some pictures,

See there.. neither important or notable to me. :)

Mods are pretty self-evident IMO... with just a little assistance from Mr Google.

Crafting recipes....yeah....BUT don't you need something much better then the broadband databases for this... like an actual crafters website?? If I were a crafter.. I would consider this a special purpose website category.

Edited by Andryah

Dulfy however has taken a whole year off to focus on the world of MMOs (talk about dedication!)

one wonders how much focus she will be able to put on her site and her love of MMOs once her gap year comes to an end...

As an aside I sure wish I had the luxury of taking a year off to just play games (damn you Real Life!):o

The game's launch was quite ambitious. On the order of World of Warcraft. Item DB sites anticipated something more socially significant. When this did not pan out, interest and therefore third party support dropped off accordingly. Edited by Laiov