Speech Bubbles coming?

metwars

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/1i24n4/til_that_chat_bubbles_are_mentioned_in_game_rules/

Sorry if the link doesn't work. Anyways, apparently in the game codex, under game rules/other people, it now says that when you enter a message in chat a bubble will appear above you that will be visible to anyone within viewing distance.

hoping this means that the speech bubbles are coming sooner then later.

• 1 month later...
Yeah that's so bad there are no speech bubbles in SWToR... that would be nice when they'll be visible for all players (rep/emp)... there is alvays something you could say to your foe on wz/world before you slash him down. Also it would increase the reality of gameplay on RP servers...

If they add chat bubble they need to give the option to turn them off completely. I don't need kindergarten chat bubbles to follow chat or know who saying what.

Agreed...plus, personally I don't want to see them. The first thing i do after logging in to a character is turn off chat.

Edited by Khenti

As much as I really want speech bubbles, the reasons they said they haven't done it is lag and seeing as they current;y increase the lag in-game with every patch, I'm afraid of what it would do.

They believe each one of those patches would not add lag before they push them out. So yes, imagine the lag when they actually acknowledge it will happen before hand.

The crashing of the servers will definitely happen.

Every game that has chat bubbles has them enabled by default for ease of use, and if you dislike them they can be disabled in settings. I don't understand the outright HATE & fear of them in the Star Wars community, but it's not like your screen is going to be flooded with word bubbles and you die to not being able to see an enemy.

Interestingly enough, this was actually a thing in Phantasy Star Online; 3 man loot thieves would party together and play with a 4th "mark,", and go through level 1. When they get to the dragon boss, the three players grouped together would spam and keep up the largest chat bubble possible when the dragon would lift off and the camera went to crap, making it really hard to see and dodge the incoming fire attacks, so the player might die, dropping his weapon and meseta(money). A scary but obsolete anecdote, chat bubbles have been limited range or very small with preventative measures because of this, and it's been a non-issue since early 2000.

Please forgive my ignorance, but people have been yelling about speech bubbles pretty much as long as this game exists, and I still don't really get why we're supposed to need this stuff.

Could someone enlighten me?

Just what people are used to, I guess. Plenty of games come with them default.

I don't have an opinion either way. I liked them in SWG and of course that's all we had in UO when I played, but otherwise don't have a preference.

Every game that has chat bubbles has them enabled by default for ease of use, and if you dislike them they can be disabled in settings. I don't understand the outright HATE & fear of them in the Star Wars community, but it's not like your screen is going to be flooded with word bubbles and you die to not being able to see an enemy.

Interestingly enough, this was actually a thing in Phantasy Star Online; 3 man loot thieves would party together and play with a 4th "mark,", and go through level 1. When they get to the dragon boss, the three players grouped together would spam and keep up the largest chat bubble possible when the dragon would lift off and the camera went to crap, making it really hard to see and dodge the incoming fire attacks, so the player might die, dropping his weapon and meseta(money). A scary but obsolete anecdote, chat bubbles have been limited range or very small with preventative measures because of this, and it's been a non-issue since early 2000.

Because this community is brain-washed and think every feature left out of the game is a bad thing such as Day and Night cycles and Chat Bubbles a bunch of more things as well. People were complaining about them adding a LFG saying Its going to ruin! the game!11 Remember the days when people had to have actual interaction with other players!, like spaming LFG LFG LFG LFM in chat!"

Now since has been in the game for a while people are not complaining about it at all because it didn't ruin anything at best it made the game a lot better.

What I'm pretty much saying here is that this forum and the fans of this game are completely blinded by their love for star wars and Bioware. All they are is just white knights who will stand for every bad decision this game (bioware) has made and will happily be fed crap. Like the threads saying WHY I THINK SWTOR IS GOOD NUMBER 1, ITS STARWARZZ whenever i see that I just want to punch my screen.

Because this community is brain-washed and think every feature left out of the game is a bad thing such as Day and Night cycles and Chat Bubbles a bunch of more things as well. People were complaining about them adding a LFG saying Its going to ruin! the game!11 Remember the days when people had to have actual interaction with other players!, like spaming LFG LFG LFG LFM in chat!"

Now since has been in the game for a while people are not complaining about it at all because it didn't ruin anything at best it made the game a lot better.

What I'm pretty much saying here is that this forum and the fans of this game are completely blinded by their love for star wars and Bioware. All they are is just white knights who will stand for every bad decision this game (bioware) has made and will happily be fed crap. Like the threads saying WHY I THINK SWTOR IS GOOD NUMBER 1, ITS STARWARZZ whenever i see that I just want to punch my screen.

Someone doesn't pay very close attention to anything, do they?

We had bubbles in beta. They caused a horrific amount of lag. BioWare has stated that chat bubbles, at the moment, are a no -- because the engine cannot handle it.

That isn't being a white knight. It is being intelligent. Chat bubbles are absolutely useless -- so adding them in, while simultaneously making the game perform significantly worse, yeah no.

Strangely, I've never seen anyone say SWTOR is #1. Unless they're speaking from personal preference. And, unless you're currently subbing to multiple MMOs -- the same is true for you. The LFG tool issue -- there WERE legitimate concerns when the feature was first added to the genre (LONG before SWTORs time). All of those issues were quashed even before WoW put it in. Anyone who was crying about it, well, they're just the people who will always find something to complain about.

Someone doesn't pay very close attention to anything, do they?

We had bubbles in beta. They caused a horrific amount of lag. BioWare has stated that chat bubbles, at the moment, are a no -- because the engine cannot handle it.

That isn't being a white knight. It is being intelligent. Chat bubbles are absolutely useless -- so adding them in, while simultaneously making the game perform significantly worse, yeah no.

Strangely, I've never seen anyone say SWTOR is #1. Unless they're speaking from personal preference. And, unless you're currently subbing to multiple MMOs -- the same is true for you. The LFG tool issue -- there WERE legitimate concerns when the feature was first added to the genre (LONG before SWTORs time). All of those issues were quashed even before WoW put it in. Anyone who was crying about it, well, they're just the people who will always find something to complain about.

Oh yeah I forgot Bioware are incompetent developers who cant optimize a feature that has been in mmos for over 10 years. (And they have had over a year to fix this and yet they do nothing along with a bunch of other problems with this game.) And chat bubbles are extremely useful a lot of the time people are trying to say something to me and I have no idea and then I see a few mins later and say damnit why aren't there chat bubbles almost 2 years in to friggin release.)

And about the LFG tool concern all the concerns can be washed away by just not allowing cross-server LFG and that's what SWTOR did which is why it worked.

Edited by MAXIMUMFAIRYSUIT

Please forgive my ignorance, but people have been yelling about speech bubbles pretty much as long as this game exists, and I still don't really get why we're supposed to need this stuff.

Could someone enlighten me?

The biggest community really wanting chat bubbles are role players.

There is some desire for them for emotes and making sure people pay attention in FP's, OPs, and Warzones.

I don't fully understand the constant desire but I can sympathize with people who for them personally this may be a big thing (like RP'ers). But we have also recieved word from bioware on a few occasions that there are tech reasons they have not done it (it was in beta but it was disabled)

Oh yeah I forgot Bioware are incompetent developers who cant optimize a feature that has been in mmos for over 10 years.

And about the LFG tool concern all the concerns can be washed away by just not allowing cross-server LFG and that's what SWTOR did which is why it worked.

It's worked in other games with cross-server.

And, BW didn't do cross-server because they can't figure out how to get it to work. Hence ranked PvP dying.

BW itself isn't incompetent. They did, however, make the mistake of forking an Alpha engine with EA backing them. You KNOW EA has not put anywhere near as much time or resources into this game as most other MMO Devs do. Had BW had their full team working on the engine with no time limits, it would probably be excellent. Once upon a time, BW did create their own engines for their games.

There is a reason many of the original BW members have left though. And that would be because of EA. There are a few stragglers -- which I'm happy for -- but EA really is becoming the scourge of the gaming world.

Edit: To your edit -- over two years to fix what? The engine? You don't know much about development, do you. The ONLY real way for them to make drastic changes to this game now would be to re-build it on a better engine. They've made obvious improvements from launch, but it doesn't change the fact that this game was written for an alpha engine that couldn't handle the ideas they were working with.

Edited by Kilora

Agreed...plus, personally I don't want to see them. The first thing i do after logging in to a character is turn off chat.

Ditto. General chat is horrible and it's nice that we can get rid of it. I don't want chat bubbles cluttering up my already cluttered screen.

If they ever do happen, we will need a way to turn them off.

Oh yeah I forgot Bioware are incompetent developers who cant optimize a feature that has been in mmos for over 10 years. (And they have had over a year to fix this and yet they do nothing along with a bunch of other problems with this game.) And chat bubbles are extremely useful a lot of the time people are trying to say something to me and I have no idea and then I see a few mins later and say damnit why aren't there chat bubbles almost 2 years in to friggin release.)

To be fair, those other MMOs aren't using the Hero engine :p

If they add speech bubbles without a way to turn them off, they will lose my sub.

I agree.

They definitely need to be optional if they are ever implemented.

I honestly do not understand why people want them...they take away from any immersion you can get from the game.

Edited by VitalityPrime