How healthy is Ebon Hawk?

landdon

I don't pvp on this server anymore unless I'm back from Pot5 to play a few rounds with friends. Otherwise it's just too godawful painful - especially when you lose to a teams whose *** you would have kicked across the map just a few months ago before the talent drain. Edited by Prisoner

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played on Harbinger, TEH, and Shadowlands, and TEH is definitely the best.

Sure, you can PvE better on Harbinger. But that is all they care about, clearing content, getting gear, and sitting on their thumbs. If gearing up and doing end-game is ALL you care about, Harbinger is a better fit.

However, if you are a more well-rounded player, looking for a more complete experience, TEH is where its at. Better community by leaps and bounds. No excessive drama unlike Harbinger. And a balance of RP, PvE, and PvP.

Some people like a single-focused experience (such as raid gearing). Others like a more complete experience, even if the whole experience comes at a slower rate.

Grindstone and others like him just seem disgruntled. Thats okay. Cant please everyone. If TEH isnt for you, the old saying of moving on to greener grass might just ring true for you. As for never finding groups and playing a "solo" game from 1-40, Ive NEVER had a problem finding groups OR guilds. Maybe its you and not the server?

So it all depends on what you are looking for. A good community? Progressions and raid-gearing only? PvP? Here's a hint: TEH is a ROLE-PLAY server so expect that to be a strong focal point. The community is, however, a lot more mature overall. Not like Harbinger where I turn chat off.

If your looking for a small but strong PvE Community, the Republic Side of Ebon Hawk is good. Many guilds run 55 Operation Content at all modes, but most of them are team-based and thus makes it hard for new people to want to join a guild (I have always hated Team PvE, people need to be exposed to other people and not the same 7, and it just ruins your chances of increasing your pool of people interested in PvE). On the flipside, the Imperial Sides PvE is very weak. The last time I attempted playing on my Sorcerer (Who I basically wont play anymore), I was having trouble pugging even storymodes with people (This was pre-2.0).

The Empire however is very strong at its PvP. Lots of Premades and lots of potential to win. I don't pvp often but just from what I know they outshine the Republic Side. If your looking for consistent PvP, the Empire Ebon Hawk is great.

If your looking for a small but strong PvE Community, the Republic Side of Ebon Hawk is good. Many guilds run 55 Operation Content at all modes, but most of them are team-based and thus makes it hard for new people to want to join a guild (I have always hated Team PvE, people need to be exposed to other people and not the same 7, and it just ruins your chances of increasing your pool of people interested in PvE). On the flipside, the Imperial Sides PvE is very weak. The last time I attempted playing on my Sorcerer (Who I basically wont play anymore), I was having trouble pugging even storymodes with people (This was pre-2.0).

The Empire however is very strong at its PvP. Lots of Premades and lots of potential to win. I don't pvp often but just from what I know they outshine the Republic Side. If your looking for consistent PvP, the Empire Ebon Hawk is great.

This is pretty much correct. Pubs have way better PvE, and Imps way better PvP. Things are *maybe* starting to look better for PvE on imp side, with some more guilds adding on to CI, like Proper Villans, several guilds completing HM ops at least, but not forum posting, and ones that are. As i earlier said, it swings back and forth, and..eh.

And TBU, wow...i haven't seen that guild name much since the Shien days when you guys were pretty much the dominate pub guild. Good to know you are still active. :)

Edited by MasterJacer

I know it's probably the morning thing, but we had about 61 people on the fleet this morning at 7:30 on imperial side, and I think this is starting to feel like Kath-hound all over again. I'm not sure how your going to get an RP experience in this soon to be ghost town. I do hope it picks up though I just don't know how if at all, and I checked out Harbinger (sure it's PVE not RP) but it's easy to be jealous when they have 4-7 imperial fleet instances and several instances on any of the worlds.

I know it's probably the morning thing, but we had about 61 people on the fleet this morning at 7:30 on imperial side, and I think this is starting to feel like Kath-hound all over again. I'm not sure how your going to get an RP experience in this soon to be ghost town.

Keep in mind that most people work Monday mornings and don't have the luxury to get online... :/

Aaaand in addition to being asleep, some of us live outside of the Eastern time zone (gasp), which means at 7:30 for you, it's 4:30 for West Coast, 5:30 for Mountain, and 6:30 for Central.

Meaning, people aren't gaming at that hour! School kiddies are sleeping, and people in the real world are working. :s It's not the end of the world, lol

I do hope it picks up though I just don't know how if at all, and I checked out Harbinger (sure it's PVE not RP) but it's easy to be jealous when they have 4-7 imperial fleet instances and several instances on any of the worlds.

Did it ever occur to you that mayhap the 4-7 fleets is a direct result of the server type? Where are all the raids and flashpoints located? :rolleyes: Where's all the planet leveling content? Planets. Where's the prime location for RP? Preeeeetty much anywhere we want. We spread out more. Again, not the end of the world.

Edited by Aikiyc

Also, Harbinger has a LOT of APAC (Aussie, Asian) players so that is why at 730 am the server is more full. A better indication is server status during prime time, in which TEH, Harbinger, and Begeren are typically the ONLY "Heavy" pop servers. How does that make TEH a "ghost town"? Edited by Garic_Wildstar

But like I said, I play on Harbinger and TEH, and the same exact complaints I'm hearing here are the same complaints people whine about on Harbinger. Same... exact... complaints...

PvP, raid groups, FP groups, seems no one on any server can find groups if they have to wait more than 5 minutes (the biggest complaint on Harbinger, having to wait 30 minutes as a DPS to get a group... really? You have to wait in line like everyone else and whining about it as if Bioware can "force" tanks to group up?) Its the same everywhere. The grass is hardly ever greener on the other side.

My opinions:

Harbinger is a *little* faster at getting groups. A little. Other than that its PvE and PvE some more. None of the guilds are "themed" like here. Its all progression and raid guilds. NO RP WHATSOEVER!!! I mean none. The biggest draw to joining a guild there? Getting geared or XP bonuses. Nothing more. PvP.... people have the same exact complaints as here. Everyone is a noob (except for the people complaining, who typically are the real noobs). Community reminds me more of WoW than smaller games. Its all about the gear you wear and the threat you bring. And tbh the whole Aussie/Cali attitudes get on my nerves. Chat is very middle school.

TEH is slower on PvE. But there are "themed" guilds here. Overall, nicer and more mature gamers. A more "balanced" experience for players like me who like a balance of PvE, PvP, RP, and story. My only complaint is that guilds here *sometimes* demand more RP than I care to do. Like I said, I like to RP but Im not trying to write a book, nor do the whole ERP nonsense. The community here reminds me more of SWG and EQ, tight-knit communities who arent so concerned with the gear you wear. And more mature players (25+ with a lot of people I know here being 40+).

So do you want apples or oranges? If an RP server isnt for you, there is no excuse other than money as to why you have not transferred to another server. If you arent happy, do something to change that. But I play on both and can say the grass isnt greener. Its either give up RP and PvE 100% of the time, or give up some PvE and RP a little more.

On the Republic side (PUB) [Though over 50% of PUB is IMP alts XD so, eh, argue if you want]

The Ebon Hawk is one of the worst servers of all time. I've rolled TEH a combined 4 months of the last 1.7 years since launch. 3 separate groups of main an alt characters. The result was the same everytime. 75% of the people that go there won't make a single friend in the first month. There's good general chat from time to time, but that is the only good thing on the server unfortunately.

Roleplay, sure, that would be great, if only Roleplayers didn't insist on secluding themselves from the rest of the population. Guilds are secluded too, making the problem worse. You are basicly completely alone in a solo XP grind until you are lucky enough to meet a group that will social/group/roleplay with you. That's just a estimate. In truth is nearly certain you will be stuck in solo mode, friendless.

The 1-49 game is dreadful. You are trying to get to 50-55 just to be able to have fun, which sucks. The 1-49 people around you nearly all play class an sides in solo mode, skipping convo an power leveling the whole time. I believe it comes from there being a very large mix of people on TEH, which leads to social disfunction. Thus people develop a defensive avoidance of group content for the duration of 1-49.

It goes well beyond what we normally consider in these matters. Not only is friendship undervalued, the majority of the 1-49 players lack any understanding of social skills. All the stuff that was bad about PUG is present in an abnormally high amount of groups one is lucky enough to find. This an a few other things leads to a somewhat grumpy situation between all of the players, both new an old.

Besides the social disfunction there is a pretty clear lack of understanding of large amounts of the game's mechanics. How stuff works. Anything cool or unique about the game is often ignored, because they are new players or perhaps were not motivated to learn how TOR works. PVP for example, they don't understand it, and end up with a negative experience from PVP. Leading to deep seeded problems in the PVP section of the server.

Holes in the que, nobody rolling ranked, pre-made vs noobs, Warzone quiters, ignoring the team, ignoring the rules. There was also a large amount of exploiting in PVP in TEH's history, an there still is. The worst part is that somehow all the other negative sides of the server force players into becoming PVP crybabies, or well complainers. Is that even a word. Whatever it is, players can't help but complain. It's lackluster PVP.

Groupfinder is the only exception to the solo mode. That que is dreadful. Only 1 out of 3 que pops will have all players accept, the other two or more someone will decline. This goes along with a general lack of understanding of what groupfinder is, because the server majority relies on PUG. [pick up groups] You can just imagine what players with poor social skills end up doing in PUG just to get FP's an Heroics.

Over population an crowding has become more of a problem with server transfers abroad, an the addition of twice as many F2P players than subscribers. So going along with all your other problems in 1-49, you are constantly surrounded by what can only be called F#%*tardism. Kind of like if you read comments on any social media website, only it's in a MMO an they have zero idea how anything works in the game or server.

The GTN market was healthy an stable for a long time . Somehow it's turned bad though an goes up an down. There's no way to be sure why, but it's a terrible market. Items listed for double the amount it's worth, an that fluctuates up an down without reason. No way to be sure, but I get the feeling from some other telling signs that a majority of the server are children & teenagers.

Healthy with population yes, but don't forget quality. If you fill one of the best servers in TOR history with the worst players imaginable, it's not exactly the best version of TOR. You should roll there an see for yourself. There is probably more bad things an more good things about The Ebon Hawk. What difference would a few more good or bad things make when nearly all the major areas of concern are a bust?

The Ebon Hawk has never been a good server. It has nothing to do with The Ebon Hawk server itself, just that there are other servers where you have more fun in a single day than in a whole month of The Ebon Hawk. The day you start on a server, should tell you everything you need to know about if it's a good or bad place to roll. It's not like life, if the first day isn't good, it's not going to change.

Fatman for example. There were no servers to compare to it. It might as well have been two completely different games. That's why it was shut down. You had the Fatman version of TOR, then all the rest. If they didn't shut it down it would of exploded with flowery joy. If you rolled everywhere, then rolled a server like Fatman then you notice the difference immediately. The same is true today with the mega server structure.

Sounds to me like you were the one not being social. I'm not even in a guild and RPing with the guild and I'm getting my guild involved with RP, they're mostly PVEers, end game. You have to be social in order to get people to socialize with you.

Sounds to me like you were the one not being social. I'm not even in a guild and RPing with the guild and I'm getting my guild involved with RP, they're mostly PVEers, end game. You have to be social in order to get people to socialize with you.

Maybe if he quit using "an" to stand for "an", "and", or "than" people would socialize more with him.

An - indefinite article used before a noun that starts with a vowel sound, denotes a singular quantity (AN article)

And - connecting word, used to join similar words or phrases together (me AND you)

Than - preposition, used when comparing two things (I use grammar better THAN you)

:cool:

Edited by Garic_Wildstar

In that respect, The Ebon Hawk has failed 3 separate times spread across over a years time as the Server becomes more defined. This being caused from the acceptance of the manipulation of the human mind by using a reward system by the masses that has resulted in undervalued friendship. Things that don't exist, are more valuable than things that actually do exist. It's not only from my experiences, but the experience of others that I see around me. It is only a rare occasion that I see any difference in the two.

Actually, I think what he's saying is someone choose loot over being friends with him. (I don't blame them, that whole post gave me a headache.)

Also, the server is at a strange time. PVP is better because ranked is happening, but it's also worse because of the seriously huge number of experienced players who left. A lot more new people are seeming to que for regs, but only time will tell if they stay with it long enough to understand the mechanics, etc.

This is a fair enough point but Ebon Hawk is a terribly insular community over all. Groups are secluded in terrible ways and not overly accommodating to new players. Barrier of entry is unnecessarily high. Along with numerous other problems.

This is a fair enough point but Ebon Hawk is a terribly insular community over all.

I find it the exact opposite, actually. Everyone is just so damn friendly and inclusive that I can't find time to play with them all...

I find it the exact opposite, actually. Everyone is just so damn friendly and inclusive that I can't find time to play with them all...

Or like me, where my guild throws a series of tackleglomps, huggles, and other assorted types of crippling affections at me as soon as I log in. And then I get like a bajillion whispers for PvP groups (okay, it's really like... 2, but still!)

So... much... friendly!

If you enjoy walk-up RP, the imperial side on this server is by far best ever seen (even surpassing LOTRO). On the republic side, RP is much more guild centric so not as much visibility in the RP department compared to imp side.

Flashpoint ques typically runs 20 to 45 min as a DPS during peak times. Late nights.... forget about it. Morning times tend to get better ques probably due to less competition for DPS spots.

PvP on this server is a joke. Not going to lie on that one. On imp side about 75% of the battlegrounds are total blowouts.

My PVP win/loss ratio is just about the same.

But it is about a million times more fun these day.

I don't know what word you would use for PVP was before the mass exodus.

But fun? That wouldn't even have cracked the top 10 of PVP adjectives.

My PVP win/loss ratio is just about the same.

But it is about a million times more fun these day.

I don't know what word you would use for PVP was before the mass exodus.

But fun? That wouldn't even have cracked the top 10 of PVP adjectives.

Win loss ratio doesn't matter too much to me compared to competitive games. My experience on TEH lately is that games are generally a blow out one way or the other. And most often its imps blowing away pubs because there are simply more pvp oriented people in imp side. And most pvp pubs seem to have imps they also play regularly on but not as much vice versa. I'd say there is around 1-3 decently competitive games for every 10 I join.