How healthy is Ebon Hawk?

landdon

I can't speak to the RP side of the game...I don't really get involved in that much.

For PvE I think it's fairly solid. There's a fair amount of guild grinding NiM modes right now and several more that have HM basically on farm. We aren't too heavy on the progression 'scene' here but we have both HMs on farm and have been working on NiM TfB...just haven't had a chance to get our starters all on at the same time. TWH is so close to coming down, we had a 1% run and several below 5% just can't quite get over the hump.

As far as PvP, I can only speak to the Pub side cuz my imp is on another server now. The quality of players varies wildly and it's really a luck of the draw if you're solo queuing. I win in solos way more on the other server than here. I can usually finish my weekly over there in a day, maybe two. Here it usually is a true weekly and I rarely complete on more than one toon. I've heard the ranked scene is starting to pick back up and I've helped fill in a couple times so I know there are at least a few games happening. Overall the PvP population is just too low for me. Usually there's only 8 total people in a given WZ map..meaning there's only one Pub team running on that map. And a lot of time there's only 2 or 3 total pub teams. On that other server there's generally 4-5 teams on a given map at any given time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak to the RP side of the game...I don't really get involved in that much.

For PvE I think it's fairly solid. There's a fair amount of guild grinding NiM modes right now and several more that have HM basically on farm. We aren't too heavy on the progression 'scene' here but we have both HMs on farm and have been working on NiM TfB...just haven't had a chance to get our starters all on at the same time. TWH is so close to coming down, we had a 1% run and several below 5% just can't quite get over the hump.

As far as PvP, I can only speak to the Pub side cuz my imp is on another server now. The quality of players varies wildly and it's really a luck of the draw if you're solo queuing. I win in solos way more on the other server than here. I can usually finish my weekly over there in a day, maybe two. Here it usually is a true weekly and I rarely complete on more than one toon. I've heard the ranked scene is starting to pick back up and I've helped fill in a couple times so I know there are at least a few games happening. Overall the PvP population is just too low for me. Usually there's only 8 total people in a given WZ map..meaning there's only one Pub team running on that map. And a lot of time there's only 2 or 3 total pub teams. On that other server there's generally 4-5 teams on a given map at any given time.

Imp side PvP is definitely a lot more active then Pub side on this server, which sucks. But Imp side has quite a few guilds that are pretty good and are trying. But other servers definitely have more PvP and if that's what you want, I would look elsewhere.

Well the garden needs tending. The Ebon Hawk is the worst I've seen it in the last 10 months. We don't see you in the 1-40 game. RP an 40-55 might as well be playing WOW, because it's not even the same game. Anyone that makes it to 50-55 would have to suffer the worst MMO experience of all time to get there currently. That's your server 1-40. Leaving us alone to completely ruin the game is only ruining your game by filling it with jaded damaged players. You should consider doing something about this. Good luck with that.

Im sorry you had a bad experience here. But it's definitely not a bad community. I have characters on The Shadowlands and Harbinger, both of which have worse communities than TEH does. I love this community, and even the people I hate, I can get past that. It is a tight community, and I have made some awesome friends here. Wouldn't leave it.

RE: PvP on TEH. Chance of winning a match*...

Queue solo: 30%

Queue w/ 1 friend: 40%

2 friends: 60%

Full 4-man premade: 80%

* Group composition mostly unimportant. Players must meet bare minimum competency requirements.

As for the PvE side of things, I haven't raided since 1.3, and can't really comment on it. As for being able to find a group for leveling up 1-54...there's really no need. You can blaze through solo and get to 55 in 2 weeks anyway, so it's not that important. If you like to do Heroics and Flashpoints, it seems like it was difficult to find people to group with the further you progress. By the time you reach Hoth (level 40ish), it's darn near impossible to find enough players to do heroics, at least in my experience.

RP seems to be mostly insular and guild-driven. Open world "casual" RP is mostly newbish and godmoded. I see far more RP on the Republic side than Imperial, and this coming from someone who spends 90% of my time on the Imperial side. But again, I'm not part of the RP clique, so your mileage may vary. The run of the mill non-RP community here is decent, but as a disclaimer, I'm not social enough to pass judgement. There are some really cool players, and there are a surprising number of ******s as well.

Edited by TheronFett

Community? Also, <Aisthesis> actually gets a fair amount of recruitment interest from people looking at the progression thread.

We're not recruiting.

The community available exclusively through the board - jabbering about who's first on a list of guilds - doesn't appeal. For the same reason we discourage participation on the DPS leaderboard (although we appreciate those who do participate), discourage participation in the PvP leaderboard (although that that's a subject of much discussion), and generally discourage participation in artificial competition in all its forms.

[Also, while historically we participated in the PvE leaderboard, we're afraid of CI cooties.]

Hey Iiked Tabula Rasa. The base attacks were greatness.

Anyway, I just transfered here a few days ago and I'm having lots of fun. PVP pops fairly quick and there's very few whiners and quitters. A much better experience for me than pot5 was.

Honestly, I've tried to read Grindstone's walls of text on a few occasions now. He keeps trying to communicate in rarely even half complete thoughts. Most of the time he uses terms that don't even make sense, for instance:

We don't see you in the 1-40 game. RP an 40-55 might as well be playing WOW, because it's not even the same game.

What does that even mean?

If he can't clearly articulate any issue he has with the server, I'm forced to assume he doesn't have one and is simply string up trouble because he can.

I just want to make friends an do stuff. This wasn't possible on The Ebon Hawk.

As far as I can tell, this is his major issue. And, quite frankly, if your having that much trouble making friends . . . it is probably you.

Let me be the first to introduce you to this thing I like to call 'the door'. Don't let it hit you on the way out. Bye.

@ Ordo

Well, RP & 50-55 is secluded from 1-40. Also when either rolls an alt they also stay secluded. There are exceptions, but by an large an alt remains secluded in solo. The majority of the 1-49 game, an 1-40 in my experience is limited to people that have very little experience with the game along with very little desire to see TOR succeed as a game. Instead the entire 1-40 or 1-49 is only about relentless power level to the "fun part" There are no representations of what we want the game to become in the part of the game that determines what the game will be in the future.

First off, let me thank you for being infinitely clearer in this post.

Your premiss is flawed. I've RPed with many groups on this server (6 or 7, probably more I'm forgetting, but, yeah.). Not a single one is secluded in any way shape or form. Let alone by level bracket. I point you at the 'you probably are trying to RP with the wrong people argument'.

Are you sure you are not talking about PvE content? PvE is a separate beast from RP. Your issues here seem to make more sense if we replace the term 'RP' with 'PvE'. And, what you've hit upon there is a long standing issue for many serious MMO gamers. Not only for this server, or even this game, but the breed of online games as a whole. I fail to see how you get around to blaming TEH for long standing issues that have existed since the dawn of gaming time.

Also, when did 'rolling alts' becoming a 'secluded' activity. The people with more then one character up and running tend to be the people who understand the game more then most, like the game a lot, are very good at the game, and are very nice people.

Metrics say that 70% of TOR is played in solo mode, with 30% grouped on average. Though from a lack of representation of those whom are secluded. The 30% that understand the game an want to direct where it's going in the future have very little effect on possibly the most important part of a TOR based career. Instead seeding "bad habit" into the crop of 1-49 players which in turn becomes the 50-55 game. The people that care the most about this server are effectively secluded from it 98% of the time.

What is your point? That's a nice bit of statistics there. A) Where in the verse did you get that data? B) Again, this issue is not an 'Ebon Hawk' issue, this is an 'online gaming as a whole' issue.

You're second spoiler isn't answerable because you are being a troll if you realize it or not. That's fine, it's been this way on http://www.swtor.com for the last 5 years. By all means continue your quest to belittle the only people on this planet you have something in common with. Being that I'm still here 5 years later despite the quest to troll should indicate that everything the trolls did was a waste of time. Sounds like revenge to me, but heh, everybody has to float their own boat. Best of luck with that.

This is the response not even worthy of a grade school play ground. I'm gonna' ignore you made it and move on. I suggest you do too.

I can elaborate on the quote I guess. Idk if it's helpful though. The game is designed to be addictive in the human mind based on a reward system along with the deep desire in humans to have things that other humans do not. Because of this manipulation solely for monetary gain, the result is that anything you can get or do inside the game has very little if no actual worth. This is both in the real world an simulation itself. So in the big picture the only thing of any significant value is the community an relationships developed within.

Again, this is an issue with gaming. Not even online gaming this time. But, the whole act of pleasurable activity as a whole. Please don't try to blame us because 'playing a game' has 'no significant value outside of the world of the game'.

In that respect, The Ebon Hawk has failed 3 separate times spread across over a years time as the Server becomes more defined. This being caused from the acceptance of the manipulation of the human mind by using a reward system by the masses that has resulted in undervalued friendship. Things that don't exist, are more valuable than things that actually do exist. It's not only from my experiences, but the experience of others that I see around me. It is only a rare occasion that I see any difference in the two.

Again. Please stop trying to blame TEH for things that have existed long before Star Wars was a twinkle in George Lucas' eye.

@ AnduuDursty

In that respect, The Ebon Hawk has failed 3 separate times spread across over a years time as the Server becomes more defined. This being caused from the acceptance of the manipulation of the human mind by using a reward system by the masses that has resulted in undervalued friendship. Things that don't exist, are more valuable than things that actually do exist. It's not only from my experiences, but the experience of others that I see around me. It is only a rare occasion that I see any difference in the two.

"You have smoked yourself retarded." - Dave Chappelle

Edited by Varkantos

This mirrors my experiences as well. Calamitous Intent is the most serious Imp guild. Bane is around, but has scaled back their raiding a lot recently. Silent Council seems to have refocused primarily on PvP. Empire is still around, but a lot of the core has transferred and the rest have essentially withdrawn from the progression community (my understanding though is that they are farming both HMs). Progeny of Sorrow used to be good, but obviously they've transferred away. Nemesis has mostly dissolved, though I still see a few around.

Um.... Nemesis is not at all mostly dissolved. I believe, right before I joined the guild the GM Biggs vanished, and Nemesis went into a lull for a while. Then eventually, with Hal'stadat becoming the GM we have been able to clear the HM raids pretty much every week. We even are starting to go into some rated wzs. Also, Empire is still on the server, I see several of them log on frequently.

As to some people who said the PvP on this server is terrible, I believe it is the best it has maybe ever been right now. Guilds like Reprisal, Berserk, Republic, Pax on both sides, Exo Imperium, Nemesis, Azure Blades, Underworld Alliance, Project Mayhem, Veritas, and many others I can't think of are very talented at pvp. There are also several solo queuers or unguilded people who are really good. Sure there are idiot pugs....but what server is there not? If you queue with a good group of friends or guild and are using good communication, you'll probably win.

We did have a lot of talent transfer off like Game Genie/Guerrilla, Dark Empire??. Anyways they are still around this server a good bit, and we have still a lot of other talent.

I feel this server is in a shining period for pvp (a little imp heavy, yes), and that progression on the Republic is just former imps rolling alts over there, eventually they will come back imp side, then pub side, then imp side. IMO what caused the imp raiding collapse was <Empire> ending progression. Pretty much, this server is very healthy and always has been since transfers last year that made it a mega server.

Edited by MasterJacer

Um.... Nemesis is not at all mostly dissolved. I believe, right before I joined the guild the GM Biggs vanished, and Nemesis went into a lull for a while. Then eventually, with Hal'stadat becoming the GM we have been able to clear the HM raids pretty much every week. We even are starting to go into some rated wzs. Also, Empire is still on the server, I see several of them log on frequently.

Yeah, Wisteria corrected me after I wrote that. I simply haven't heard anything from Nemesis, progression, PvP or otherwise. I run into them on fleet on average once a week or so, which made me think that they were completely gone. Glad to hear otherwise!

I feel this server is in a shining period for pvp (a little imp heavy, yes), and that progression on the Republic is just former imps rolling alts over there, eventually they will come back imp side, then pub side, then imp side.

I said it earlier, but it bears repeating: only one member of any of the progression raid groups on Rep side is an Imperial alt (Dasmon in the <Aisthesis> Sunday progression group). The entire cores of <Anger Management>, <Underworld Aliance> and <Aisthesis> are Rep mains. Assuming <Wrath> isn't dissolving, they also bear mention as a progression group that is 100% Rep mains.

I'm not sure where the impression of Rep progression as just being Imp alts comes from, but it's far from true.

IMO what caused the imp raiding collapse was <Empire> ending progression.

Yeah, I was sad about that, too. <Proper Villains> is now stepping up to push content, which gives us a second Imp-side progression guild (along with <CI>). I do wish that scene were more vibrant, though.

I feel this server is in a shining period for pvp (a little imp heavy, yes), and that progression on the Republic is just former imps rolling alts over there, eventually they will come back imp side, then pub side, then imp side. IMO what caused the imp raiding collapse was <Empire> ending progression. Pretty much, this server is very healthy and always has been since transfers last year that made it a mega server.

It may be more competitive, it is deffinately not better. I came back for a match or two after about six weeks on Pot5. The talent drain has been huge. Any serious PvPer has seen this, its just much more obvious to someone who didn't see it happen gradually.

It may be more competitive, it is deffinately not better. I came back for a match or two after about six weeks on Pot5. The talent drain has been huge. Any serious PvPer has seen this, its just much more obvious to someone who didn't see it happen gradually.

^ This, lots of it. Big talent drain, still plenty of headaches. If before you may have been up against very solid players, now you're likely to get boneheads and undergeared noobs. It is what it is.

Queues have been popping more often than pre-transfer though.

^ This, lots of it. Big talent drain, still plenty of headaches. If before you may have been up against very solid players, now you're likely to get boneheads and undergeared noobs. It is what it is.

Queues have been popping more often than pre-transfer though.

I agree there is a big talent drain, but there are still many talented players on this server. Several of GG's players have alts in other guilds that they play sometimes on this server.

This is exactly what <Aisthesis> is doing, actually. Just thought I'd mention it...

This I will agree with. I know some absolutely TERRIBLE players on this server.

i disagree. I consider myself an average player and I do the same on every server. In PVP my stats are equal fairly consistent to here. So no, the average players on this server would do the same on any other server. The elite players on this server would do equally well on other servers individually. The bad are just universally bad.

i disagree. I consider myself an average player and I do the same on every server. In PVP my stats are equal fairly consistent to here. So no, the average players on this server would do the same on any other server. The elite players on this server would do equally well on other servers individually. The bad are just universally bad.

Yes, just that there are a lot less bads on PvP servers, and a lot more elites. Average is not a universal thing, and is different between servers. Average here is not average on pot5.

55 pub pvp is pretty miserable right now. There's a handful of decent players and if you don't get with a group of them you have no shot. There's a huge lopsided talent pool between pub and imp right now.

Don't tell me that. I don't want to know this. Maybe I have been in the happy circumstance of finding these groups frequently, but pvp has not been terrible for me. Of course, imps have always seemed to attract more than their share of competent players. I suspect this is because players seek more escapism than can be provided by immersing themselves in fantasy worlds via avatars; they wish to completely disconnect from society and rules and conformity to wield power in our game with impunity (at least in the story portion of the game) and/or because they simply hate Jedi. Or, as the Venture Brothers puts it, "...do you watch movies about costumed heroes and think, 'wow that guy's a (redacted), I sure hope a much cooler bad guy kicks his (redacted)..."

Anyway, I hate it too. I wish once that the faction I chose were the stronger faction. At least SWTOR does not favor the evil faction the way some other game did for so long.