What's the Point

cymonguk

Peels, node guarding, good utility for hutball (pull+leap) group debuffs and guarding key targets like squish dps and heals.

Regardless of what I have heard I think PT tanks are in a pretty good spot right now as far as 'pure' tanks are, they are not as far behind jugs as they used to be.

Peels, node guarding, good utility for hutball (pull+leap) group debuffs and guarding key targets like squish dps and heals.

Regardless of what I have heard I think PT tanks are in a pretty good spot right now as far as 'pure' tanks are, they are not as far behind jugs as they used to be.

You are also the single best Ball Carrier/Healer killer in game, with your Harpoon and Automatic Root. If you use primarily dps gear, then you can pump out some better than average damage with some pretty good burst.

You are also the single best Ball Carrier/Healer killer in game, with your Harpoon and Automatic Root. If you use primarily dps gear, then you can pump out some better than average damage with some pretty good burst.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves now. Jugg/Guardian is still the best ball carrier with 4 leaps available. But PT with root/snare immunity is a very solid choice as well.

At level 20, you really don't have much to work with. Throw your guard on someone and make sure your gear has tank stats so you can mitigate damage. The one thing I can tell you is that accuracy is bolstered poorly at low levels because you don't have gear with accuracy on it. My sent in lowbies missed like half the time against tanks when using white damage. Use your taunt on the top DPS on the other side and if you're not sure who it is, taunt the sniper/gunslinger. They pack a punch below 30 and are guaranteed to be DPS.

Is there any down side for the guarded player to being guarded?

The only downside is that they can't guard another player. So don't guard a tank. Also, you'll have to stay within 30m in order to have the full effects of guard active.

The only downside is that they can't guard another player. So don't guard a tank. Also, you'll have to stay within 30m in order to have the full effects of guard active.

Yeah don't be that guy that throws a guard on someone, leaves and does not remove the guard.

Yeah don't be that guy that throws a guard on someone, leaves and does not remove the guard.

And if you are carrying the Huttball, stop guarding someone else and taking more damage for no reason. Also, you can appropriately be guarded then if there is another tank/tank capable class.

as I see it, the only significant advantage to a PT tank over a jugg tank is the ranged taunt. as pure tanks go, push > pull. the oil slick slow is really cool, especially in bottleneck areas, but a jugg can spam aoe slows, so it's not a big deal. I would say juggs got nerfed a little more than PTs got better (moving CC immunity after leap to center tree hurt jugg tanks). just can't beat the jugg for a traditional guard/peel role though.

in lowbie bracket, tanks are useless. wear and spec dps. if you want to tank, switch into tank cell.

when you move into middle bracket, you might think about switching over to full tank spec, but would still stay dps spec until around lvl 40 or so.

the rationale is that the lower your level, the less impact your skill tree has on your performance/abilities, and everyone starts off with good dps. thus, if you're a tank spec at a low level, you won't have significantly better defenses than everyone else (or hp), but you WILL nerf your dps ability.

And if you are carrying the Huttball, stop guarding someone else and taking more damage for no reason. Also, you can appropriately be guarded then if there is another tank/tank capable class.

Yes. That really grinds my gears when a tank has the ball and is guarding the healer as I will switch to tank stance to help give them the extra protection and onslaught if there happens to be the whole team focusing on the ball carrier.

Yes. That really grinds my gears when a tank has the ball and is guarding the healer as I will switch to tank stance to help give them the extra protection and onslaught if there happens to be the whole team focusing on the ball carrier.

as a healer, I usually just turn off the guard myself. for those who don't know, if someone is guarding you that you DON'T want to guard you, you can right click the buff above your portrait to turn off the guard. this is useful when a carrier guards you in hb or when a tank guards you then goes off to the other side of the map so your buddy who's also a tank and standing right next to you CAN guard you.

also, in hb, if you leave your guard on someone, another tank won't be able to guard you.

Edited by foxmob

I rerolled a Powertech Tank, and at level 20 but cannot understand what role a tank would actually play in PvP?

Taunt. Guard Swap. Peel DPS to assist team healers.

BTW...Van/PT Tank is awesome.

Edited by DarthOvertone

wanted to thank you guys.

Went online and got wasted, but I knew this as soon as we got on as we had 5 players at sub/= 20, the opposition was 8 players all at 28/29 on novae with 4 in premade guild.

However I guarded the only healer we had, they healed me and the best dps and we held one turret all game. I kept hitting their gunslinger dps with my dfa, exploding dart and then taunt. He got real arsey at the end of the game. :rak_01:

I love playing my PT tank

If you got a pocket healer with no other tank, go ahead and guard them even when you got the ball. If you dont, they will assist down the healer first and then kill you.

A good healer tank combo can easily withstand 6+players on them. Just know when to use your aoe stun and when you jump to enemy targets.