Why can't you dye sub-15 items?

There are certain item restrictions on the Dye system that I understand. I don't really agree — I think it's annoying nannying — but I can see reasonable motivations:

• No dying green-quality items. OK, you don't want confused players putting expensive dyes in garbage that gets replaced in 2 levels. Nannying, but a reasonable motivation.
  • No dying KOTOR lore gear. OK, you want someone wearing that character's armor set to look exactly like the character. Stubborn grognard thinking, but it's still a comprehensible motivation.

But then we get to the "No items below level 16" restriction that blanketly affects non-Lore, Custom gear that people would love to use with dyes:

• Sorcerer's
  • Traditional Nylite
  • Dark Acolyte's
  • Consular's
  • Force Initiate's
  • Inquisitor's
  • Agent's
  • Drelliad
  • Apprentice's
  • Aspiring Knight's
  • Hardweave
  • Rugged Smuggling
  • Sith Dueling
  • Sniper's
  • Warrior's
  • Hardened Plastifold
  • Hydraulic Press
  • Mercenary's
  • Professional's
  • Republic Trooper's

And most frustratingly:

• Republic Dancer's
  • Imperial Dancer's

This makes no sense to me. If it's moddable and not from a "famous" lore character, why are you preventing us from dying it? What harm would that possibly cause? Is there something sacred about going "Oh, they look just like ... uh ... every random level 7 Inquisitor on Korriban!" the same way there's apparently something sacred about going "Oh, it's Calo Nord!" ?

You can dye level 1 Cartel Market gear, you can dye level 19 moddable gear that looks like rewards from Tython / Korriban / etc., why can't we dye level 11-15 moddable gear, our special stuff off the Security vendor, etc.?

Please remove these restrictions and add dye slots to these items.

And for christs sake bioware get over yourselves. you aren't the first people to use the name Tali. For the love of God let me name my character Tali Demon. It is nothing like that useless alien from Mass Effect. Its not even an original name you came up with.

And for christs sake bioware get over yourselves. you aren't the first people to use the name Tali. For the love of God let me name my character Tali Demon. It is nothing like that useless alien from Mass Effect. Its not even an original name you came up with.

Dude, my RL name Magnus is on the banned list, because there is a side boss on Mando imp side named it. No one owns it. its on the banned list.

Back on topic I agree. I don't understand why there should be ANY restriction of dye slots on lvl 15 and below and lore gear.

You already have a dye slot on Revans Mask and Mask of Nihilius from the rep vendor, so thats already a contradiction to what you say already.

Agreed 100%. Let people dye what they want. Some of the outfits you can't dye look quite nice when you apply dyes to them in the preview window (which the game still lets you do :rolleyes:) and some of the ones you can dye have a 3rd or 4th or more color you can't dye and just generally look terrible dyed.

Some of the older stuff they didn't bother to even add slots to like the CE stuff and I also don't agree about the KotoR character stuff not being able to be dyed. Who cares? It's our game. Let us do what we want.

Agreed, it makes no sense whatsoever. It is not an oversight, because they stated that it was an intentional restriction. You can see from the preview window that in most cases these armour sets respond to dye very well, so it's not a technical issue, it's an arbitrary decision. But there seems to be no logic to it.

Some of the low level custom sets are among the best looking gear in the game. They are simple, elegant and often free of the fussy adornments that a lot later armour sets have. As such they often fit the Star Wars theme a lot better than many of the endgame gear sets which are often over-designed and sail too close to high fantasy.

I'd love to be able to dye some of the lower level custom sets. Please make it happen.

there's no reason for even the "Lore" sets to not be dyed.....most, if not all, of them don't even match the friggin character they came from

Malak is the worst example...he did NOT have a full cape. his "lore" armor in SWTOR isn't even his.

the restriction is stupid.

All orange gear, with the exception of perhaps lore sets should be level one when empty from mods, have no class restrictions and should have dye slots.

Crafted, dropped, purchased on the market, should not matter.

Just my opinion.

Edited by LordArtemis

They can't have you dying the low-level craftable orange gear, because then it would no longer look like hammered dog****. And that means more people would buy crafted gear instead of gambling pack drops. Once you realize that crafters can never, ever be allowed to make anything that anyone actually wants, then the reason for plainly stupid and nonsensical lines like this becomes clear.

All orange gear, with the exception of perhaps lore sets should be level one when empty from mods, have no class restrictions and should have dye slots.

Just my opinion.

I agree.

actually I think we should get an "appearance tab"

there's A LOT of wasted and useless items from gray to non-moddable purple that drop that are never used.

an appearance tab would be great..like that relatively unique green item that just dropped but has crap stats? so what..appearance tab! boom...now what was once a waste of database space..is now desired and useful

• 3 weeks later...
To make it worse, you can loot sub level 15 blue armor that does have dye slots. :rolleyes:

I'd really like to see their reasoning in the light of this fact.

I understand lore items not being dye-able, but level 11/15 orange gear being exempted seems arbitrary.

Quit yer whining... i cant even name my character Magnus, which is my REAL NAME.

As for the Dye thing, im completely onboard with this thread. REMOVE THE DYE RESTRICTIONS! (especially since you can already dye some of the blue/green stuff below lvl 15 :/ )

quit yer whining... I cant even name my character magnus, which is my real name.

As for the dye thing, im completely onboard with this thread. Remove the dye restrictions! (especially since you can already dye some of the blue/green stuff below lvl 15 :/ )

**** me too. O.0 I went as far as calling them, emailing them, demanding to know why the name Magnus is a banned name on the list of blocked names.

There shouldn't be any dye slot restrictions for any peice of armor, If you are morally objectified something is painted like a clown, then like. don't look?

Edited by Magnusheart

Yeah, I'd love to see dye slots on the sub-15 items.

And this! But no exceptions for lore sets.

Just my opinion.

I totally agree with this.

I totally agree with this.

Thank you.

I feel very strongly about that. I think that crafted and drop gear of all types that is ORANGE should have a dye slot.

There are some very attractive sets early on with iconic looks, like the drelliad set for smugglers that would really benefit from dye slots.

I think it is also important to remove the class and level gates from orange equipment....and have those gates adaptable based on the mods and who is wearing it.

I also do not think that crafted or drop Orange gear should be collectable...but all Cartel Market armor should be. That means they have to remove the mods in the current armor, reduce it to level 1, and keep the mods out. Perhaps sell them in a separate pack (they can lock them to that armor set if desired).

There shouldn't be any dye slot restrictions for any peice of armor, If you are morally objectified something is painted like a clown, then like. don't look?

Wanting to avoid "morally objectifying" players (whatever that means) is not the reason "lore" armor is not dyable.

Thank you.

I feel very strongly about that. I think that crafted and drop gear of all types that is ORANGE should have a dye slot.

There are some very attractive sets early on with iconic looks, like the drelliad set for smugglers that would really benefit from dye slots.

I think it is also important to remove the class and level gates from orange equipment....and have those gates adaptable based on the mods and who is wearing it.

I also do not think that crafted or drop Orange gear should be collectable...but all Cartel Market armor should be. That means they have to remove the mods in the current armor, reduce it to level 1, and keep the mods out. Perhaps sell them in a separate pack (they can lock them to that armor set if desired).

My real only problem with it is that I want to have the level 43 CM sets at level 1, or atleast 10, and to be able to collect them.