Necro Ganking - a serious problem

SebastiaanZ

What an unfair thing to say. Competitiveness and aggression are "lower class?" It's a game for God sake. Nobody is talking about cheating or exploiting here. We're talking about behavior strictly within the rules of the environment created, and condoned and encouraged by the devs (see my post above about OPvP achievements).

Please just go to a PvE server if you don't like things on PvP servers. There are transfers now. Nobody is making you stay.

What is competitive about ganking someone of lower level that has no chance to defend. That's not competitive.

It is a game, and it is an unfortunate consequence of PvP servers that bored or childish end game PvPer's find one-shotting lowbies "fun". You can try to excuse it all you want with the old and tired "you rolled on a PvP server" argument but the fact remains that while the behavior may be "within the rules", it doesn't make it a desirable component of world PvP.

Fun is competing against someone who could conceivably beat you. In PvE, it isn't fun to go to Tython as a level 55 and destroy the low level mobs. There is no challenge.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an unfair thing to say. Competitiveness and aggression are "lower class?"

He was referring to the mindset that gets it's jollies ganking lowbies. There is nothing competitive about ganking players that are gray con to you. It's what bullies do and even most PvPers agree that it is a low class move.

I grant that it is also a tactic by some guilds to aggravate the opposing faction to come out and fight about it. But even then.. it's still weak sauce. There are better ways to go about this.

Edited by Andryah

What an unfair thing to say. Competitiveness and aggression are "lower class?"

Tell me, how exactly does killing your opponent before he can get up again make you competitive? That sounds more like a domination complex than a competition to me.

It's a game for God sake. Nobody is talking about cheating or exploiting here. We're talking about behavior strictly within the rules of the environment created, and condoned and encouraged by the devs (see my post above about OPvP achievements).

That sounds a lot like a justification. A justification that ultimately fails because of one thing - Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I could steal cars and use them to intentionally cause accidents. I could learn how to hack and create even more bugs in the game. I could become a psychiatrist that intentionally makes my patients worse so they have to come back to me. I could be a troll on every forum, posting **** with puppet accounts over public networks that won't be IP banned. I could sit around Wall Street convincing people not to invest so that the economy and the prices of stock go down.

All of these things sound wrong because they are malicious and selfish. These are traits that are shared with the actions you are trying to justify, albeit yours are much more smaller scale. Regardless of how grand or minute the crime is, it needs to be stopped.

Have a nice day.

That's a saying, not factual information. I actually disagree with it.

It IS factual information; it's the way the world works. You can disagree with it all you want, but it's not going to change human nature. Of course, if you can get a law passed to something you agree with, i.e. Change the rules, then you can tailor the world more to your liking by restricting what others are allowed to do.

What is competitive about ganking someone of lower level that has no chance to defend. That's not competitive.

It is a game, and it is an unfortunate consequence of PvP servers that bored or childish end game PvPer's find one-shotting lowbies "fun". You can try to excuse it all you want with the old and tired "you rolled on a PvP server" argument but the fact remains that while the behavior may be "within the rules", it doesn't make it a desirable component of world PvP.

Fun is competing against someone who could conceivably beat you. In PvE, it isn't fun to go to Tython as a level 55 and destroy the low level mobs. There is no challenge.

I think it's fun is seeing how far I can push it until the enemy faction calls in the reinforcements to kick my butt.

You're right, it's absolutely not fun to go fight lowbie mobs. In fact, I don't think it's very fun to fight any mobs at all. I do think it's fun to fight other players, and I think that the game play and social dynamics that evolve out of challenging others as opposed to challenging a mob whose actions can be predicted with perfect accuracy are infinitely more interesting.

And I do think it is a desirable component. I joined a PvP server understanding full well the implications of what that meant. And I have been killed many times as I leveled various alts by enemy players who were of a significantly higher level than me. It's part of the thrill of the server, never knowing what might happen next. If you want to have a more relaxed predictable experience, roll on a PvE server. You will not catch me coming over and telling you there is anything wrong with how you like to play the game.

Edited by Axe_Faktor
grammar

Tell me, how exactly does killing your opponent before he can get up again make you competitive? That sounds more like a domination complex than a competition to me.

That sounds a lot like a justification. A justification that ultimately fails because of one thing - Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I could steal cars and use them to intentionally cause accidents. I could learn how to hack and create even more bugs in the game. I could become a psychiatrist that intentionally makes my patients worse so they have to come back to me. I could be a troll on every forum, posting **** with puppet accounts over public networks that won't be IP banned. I could sit around Wall Street convincing people not to invest so that the economy and the prices of stock go down.

All of these things sound wrong because they are malicious and selfish. These are traits that are shared with the actions you are trying to justify, albeit yours are much more smaller scale. Regardless of how grand or minute the crime is, it needs to be stopped.

Have a nice day.

Stealing cars, hacking and creating bugs, being a sadistic psychiatrist and the other things you mentioned are not acceptable comparisons in the way you're trying to use them. You're talking about violating laws and trying to break systems and exploit people. I'm talking about working within the system, following the rules, and treating people the way I expect to be treated.

I never said it was nice. But nowhere in the rules does it say you have to be nice. It just says you're not allowed to break the rules.

PvP server?

All fair.

Yes it sucks, yes I disagree with it, but hey it's allowed. Got a problem with gankers or any other pvp'ers giving you problems? Grabs friends and solve it, many a pvp battle that last for hours start this way. If you don't like this then I'm inclined to agree that PvE servers are ------> that way.

PvP server?

All fair.

Yes it sucks, yes I disagree with it, but hey it's allowed. Got a problem with gankers or any other pvp'ers giving you problems? Grabs friends and solve it, many a pvp battle that last for hours start this way. If you don't like this then I'm inclined to agree that PvE servers are ------> that way.

+1 for your pragmatism. I wish there were more pragmatism in the forum. :D

Stealing cars, hacking and creating bugs, being a sadistic psychiatrist and the other things you mentioned are not acceptable comparisons in the way you're trying to use them. You're talking about violating laws and trying to break systems and exploit people. I'm talking about working within the system, following the rules, and treating people the way I expect to be treated.

I never said it was nice. But nowhere in the rules does it say you have to be nice. It just says you're not allowed to break the rules.

Because it's in the system pretty much everyone agrees is flawed (especially the PVPers) it's ok? Am I getting this right?

You roll on a PvP server.

You expect to slog your way to max level.

So you you can gank.

That's what a PvP server is about.

PvP endgame content is:

Ganking Lowbies

PvP servers, unfortunately, serve a lower class of human.

I learned this when WoW first released. My SWG guild moved to WoW, Azgulor (sp?) which was a pvp server. I played funky hours and did not always have my guildmates available for retaliation. PvP stopped being PvP and became a gankfest. I am not certain how that is fun for anyone. Since then, I do not roll on PvP servers. It's really that easy, OP.

By loophole do you mean exploit? Even on a PvP server, people being somewhere they shouldn't through the use of an unintended mechanic is reportable.

I was trying to be diplomatic :)

Yes, I do mean exploit and yes it has been reported.....numerous times and yet it still exists.

There are certain areas that the opposite faction are not supposed to be able to get into but the "creative tactics" (yer, me being diplomatic again) allows them to and BW seem to be hell bent on doing nothing to stop this.

This is the issue I have. Be it PvE, PvP server or whatever. If I am being res-killed over and over in an area the opposite faction are not supposed to be able to get to then it should certainly NOT be a suck it and see attitude at all. It should be an exploiters are banned and the exploit fixed attitude.

This thread is hilarious.

Honorable, treacherous, cheesy, dirty, clever, whatever, is OWPVP. Be prepared for all of the above while logged.

If you're not and want the rest of the pop. to play by your own rules a PVP server isn't for you.

Edited by Joesixxpack

What an unfair thing to say. Competitiveness and aggression are "lower class?" It's a game for God sake. Nobody is talking about cheating or exploiting here. We're talking about behavior strictly within the rules of the environment created, and condoned and encouraged by the devs (see my post above about OPvP achievements).

Please just go to a PvE server if you don't like things on PvP servers. There are transfers now. Nobody is making you stay.

In your post prior to this one you went out of your way to state you are the kind of "buttface" who entertains himself by ruining the fun of another human being attempting to play a game. Then you take offense that people generally believe that PvP servers cater to a less mature class of human being?

Aggression is fine and can be a useful tool in life. Aggression against those who can't possibly defend themselves (in a game or RL) is something else. That's called bullying.

Gankers who claim to gank to "attract real pvp" are usually full of it because the facts don't support it. There are much easier ways to find a level-appropriate fight if that's what you were really after. If you sincerely wanted competitive open world pvp you'd be attacking same-level players in daily areas who might be able to put up an actual fight rather than ganking some poor slob in a lonely corner of a leveling map. And nine times out of ten, if that poor slob was lucky enough to find appropriate reinforcements on that map, the player ganking him would run when they got there.

At least wait for the lowbie to come out on their own and walk into the gank fest.

Then it is their fault by walking back into the fray.

But Corpse camping a toon 30 levels lower in the med bay. Yeah, Not very cool or challenging.

I understand about that toon calling his/her friends and a major PVP battle starting.

But I would agree that I would like to see at least a small time period or a small zone around the med droid where you can at least have a chance to get up, dust yourself off and either get back into it or fleet pass out if it is getting too much.

To the OP, i never play on pvp servers because 1. i dont like getting attacked by players higher than me whom i have no chance of killing, 2. i'd rather not be interrupted while questing, 3. if i want to pvp i can flag myself for it.

and are you telling me that you would NEVER attack a character that is lower than you by a few levels, because i highly doubt that, i think you would see them and attack them

and are you telling me that you would NEVER attack a character that is lower than you by a few levels, because i highly doubt that, i think you would see them and attack them

I think it is about your personal playstyle.

If i am out and about doing my own thing and I see Opposite faction when they are 5 or more levels lower. I leave them be unless they attack.

However, when there is a battle of some sort, well, no one is immune.

Again, it is just one's personal play style in my opinion.

This happened to me once. I was questing on Voss near the temple entrance on my BH, level 43 or something, and a few lvl 50 rep players were camping the imperial respawn point. It was a coordinated effort, some rep players were "out in the world" killing questers, and their buddies were camped at the med center waiting for the dead players to respawn to kill them over and over again.

That was the final straw for me. I started over on a PVE server and have been much happier in the game.

I'm not sure if the OP is just new to the PvP server scene, but there are several things we PvP server denizens do when we're being camped:

1) Log over to a same faction toon, and ask for a pass. For me, this works about 90% of the time. If you're cool about it, and don't include any of the whine that is present in the OP's thread, the gankers will tell you whether or not you're in the clear. In those instances that they don't want to stop...

2) Log onto another toon. Unless you're F2P you should have some open character slots. Go do some crafting, FP's, level in another area with an alt, etc.

3) Call in backup. If you're in a guild with a bunch of 55's, try to call them in so they can wreck the guy ganking you. To make sure he's caught unawares, make sure to keep rezzing so he can gank you (you take no durability damage by PvP death), then when your friends arrive, watch him twist in the wind, and your friends corpse camp him. (Yes corpse camping is nasty circular business.)

4) Transfer servers. This is the last option, if you're so utterly disgusted by the PvP realm's "Red on Red" violence, greener pastures maybe better for you. But be sure to avoid certain areas of Ilum and Tatooine as they're PvP areas, and you'll be flagged regardless.

You roll on a PvP server.

You expect to slog your way to max level.

So you you can gank.

That's what a PvP server is about.

PvP endgame content is:

Ganking Lowbies

PvP servers, unfortunately, serve a lower class of human.

Oh bull ****! That is NOT what being on a PvP server is all about, especially not in this freaking game.

OP...how the hell were they continuously clone camping you? You can rez in stealth and walk away, you can switch instances, switch toons...you have some options. Where did this happen exactly?

And imo, even on a PvP server, clone camping should be prevented. That's going beyond "PvP" to just being a dick.

Sadly, if the PvPers had something besides another 1 of our only 5 old as hell freaking WZs to do, maybe they'd be somewhere else. This is Bioware's fault for failing on massive levels to 1) protect the clone area 2) provide PvP content.

In your post prior to this one you went out of your way to state you are the kind of "buttface" who entertains himself by ruining the fun of another human being attempting to play a game. Then you take offense that people generally believe that PvP servers cater to a less mature class of human being?

Aggression is fine and can be a useful tool in life. Aggression against those who can't possibly defend themselves (in a game or RL) is something else. That's called bullying.

Gankers who claim to gank to "attract real pvp" are usually full of it because the facts don't support it. There are much easier ways to find a level-appropriate fight if that's what you were really after. If you sincerely wanted competitive open world pvp you'd be attacking same-level players in daily areas who might be able to put up an actual fight rather than ganking some poor slob in a lonely corner of a leveling map. And nine times out of ten, if that poor slob was lucky enough to find appropriate reinforcements on that map, the player ganking him would run when they got there.

GREAT reply!!!

The moment you revive, they attack you again and again.

Reason# 4,281 of why I stopped playing on PvP servers more than 5 years ago. :D The kids get bored with CoD, and log into their MMO to PvP. And by kids, I mean immatures of all ages. PvP ganking is a way of life and PvP happens on PvP servers. People are warned when they make a character, but they do it anyway. They need to hang a sign behind your character in the creation screen that says:

"YOU ARE CREATING A CHARACTER ON A PVP SERVER. YOU WILL GET GANKED REPEATEDLY UNTIL YOU ARE AT LEVEL CAP, AND THEN YOU WILL LIKELY GET GANKED SOME MORE BY SOMEONE WHO LIVES FOR WARZONES AND WORLD PVP. ARE YOU SURE YOU WISH TO PROCEED WITH CREATION AS YOU WILL LIKELY HATE YOUR LIFE UNTIL YOU HIT LEVEL CAP? BE WARNED: PVP HAPPENS AND WE WILL NOT INTERVENE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WHINE LATER. HAVE A NICE DAY."

I think that would make people stop and think about what they are doing. And then folks could take a screen shot of the window and use it anytime someone QQs about PvP happening on a PvP server.

Edited by Superman_AZ

my how low pvpers have lowered themselves over the years. what used to be rare and frowned upon is now totally acceptable by so many. it is all ok as such shenanigans will only cull the pvp servers population. in time it will just go away as no one is left to play. new players whom most are unguilded and have no friends will just leave the server. yep please continue on.

I guess your argument that pvp takes so much more skill than pve is true. those greyed out players are challenging content for so many of you.

what is really sad is that these people are not twelve year olds but rather adults.