How do you deal with players capping in stealth?

vanpurdie

Hello,

Recently returned to the game and I've been enjoying PvP, but today I experienced somebody cap a door I was defending in Voidstar while they were in stealth. Is this supposed to be possible? Is there a way to counter it without basically placing AOE on the ground near the door constantly?

Cheers.

Edited by vanpurdie

This is one of the head scratchers that comes about here and there. I have seen doors get capped with seemingly nobody there and have heard of people being able to get in doors and cap free from harm, but it happens so rarely, I seem to forget about it.

Any more; since they added stealth detect to being in cover while on my GS or Sniper; I will see them either way. It amazes me how many stealthers do not seem to realize this.

I know there is a bug with scamper from stealth which when they start to cap they will still be stealthed or something along those lines (was a video from a stram which showed this). Other than that I have not really heard or seen a stealth cap in probably a year.

I've seen this several times fairly recently. One of those times was on my own team. I bug reported it (multiple instances).

Interestingly, given a post regarding 1.1, I was looking at the old 1.1 patch notes and ran across this:

Players who are interacting with a Warzone objective and are then affected by an area of stealth effect will have the objective interaction interrupted. This ensures players cannot exploit area of stealth effects to secure Warzone objectives unaffected and unseen by defending players.

Given one of the two instances in a single Voidstar I witnessed with a clump of what I thought was all stealthers on my team by the door, I wonder if this little ol' bug has made a resurgence. BW?

I remember when people could get in doors and cap them, but that was a long time ago and has seemingly been fixed. This just really bugged me today as it undermined the whole point of the PvP game. The 15 other people in the warzone were effectively bypassed by one person.

Thanks for the replies anyway. I've decided to cancel my sub after giving it some thought. I'll come back for the free-to-play version as I can't really justify giving over money when the most basic stuff doesn't work.

I think I may dedicate a few hours of my weekend to try to recreate this bug and create a video informing bioware how to do it and how to fix it if it is in fact a bug. They seemed to respond pretty quickly when I posted a bug about jumping through the void star force field.

I have noticed a few times as of late, people planting bombs and defusing them while being shot and/or with AOE's going off all around them.

That is getting a bit annoying, attacking someone while watching the timer just run and then "Alert" or "Bomb defused".

Right at the beginning of the round I've seen this happen. I know I have to pay REALLY close attention to the door, because I'll sometimes see the capper show up with the door already half planted. It only happens right at the beginning if we are on defense first, so I always assumed it was my client being slow to catch up.

That might not make much sense, given that I'm often in the WZ for a minute before the gates go down and things start - but I've seen other similar seeming things. Like the HB announcer being way behind right at the start - announcing who gets the ball first, and then the turnover/score like 30 seconds after they actually happen. Or, in CW, my own team mates will drop from the gate when it opens, and then they will vanish from my view for a few seconds - which is really annoying when I'm trying to keep track of a healer for guard purposes. :)

The other thing I've seen is that after affected by an AOE stealth from a team mate, I got stuck invisible unless I plopped down in cover (well, even then, but I could see the cover screen) or attacked something - at least from my own point of view. I don't know if the enemy could see me or not, but I know they didn't have any trouble finding and killing me... but I didn't try to do anything stealthy.

I think its a client side bug/glitch/lag for when stealthers break out of stealth. Ive noticed that it take a few seconds sometimes for a stealther to completely render on my screen. During this time I cannot click on or tab to a target effected by this bug. It really sucks when I suddenly start taking damage from a Sin/Shadow or Scound/Op from behind and I cant target them to CC or attack back.

I have noticed a few times as of late, people planting bombs and defusing them while being shot and/or with AOE's going off all around them.

That is getting a bit annoying, attacking someone while watching the timer just run and then "Alert" or "Bomb defused".

I think that might be the result of some talents. Arent there some talents that increase Defense ( read Resist/Dodge/Block) by 100% for a couple seconds?

Oh and also when doing AoE if the target is on a node and it LoS from you, you need to place the center of the AoE Targeting Reticle so that the center is not effected by LoS.

Edited by Keese

Thanks, I was not the one doing the AOE, but I was hitting him with Cull, the whole time cull was going off he continued to plant and I was doing damage, I could see his health drop. But he got the bomb planted. I don't see that often but I have seen that about three times in the last month. Just someone ignoring damage and twice planting a bomb and once defusing it.

I've seen this happen a few times as well - it shouldn't be possible, but it does occasionally happen. Quite frustrating when your whole team is defending that one node yet the enemy manage to cap it even though there wasn't visible capping it. :mad:

It is here in game, and people do it, not sure if intentionally or it is coincidence.

Visual appearance of bug/exploit.

Voidstar door - nobody here, suddenly capper appears on screen, while having 1-0,5 sec left on cap channel.

No lag, no anything.

There's a bug that causes players not to get PvP-flagged in warzones which causes this. One of my gildies has this bug on his assassin (only char who has this). When he joins a warzone he's not PvP-flagged. That means, when coming from stealth not being in combat, AoEs won't hurt him until someone directly attacks him or he initiates combat himself. That makes it possible to cap while being in AoE. He tries not to exploit this, filed a report, tried to get rid of it by switching the flag on and off, relogging etc but it remains. Only on that char, weird.

It takes 8 seconds to cap the door, if you let yourself get distracted it's easy to lose the door. I personally never take my eyes off the doors. I don't watch who is coming because they are always coming that does not matter. If someone gets to me I'll take the first hit and let them beat me up and call the incoming, but they will never stealth cap on me. I've seen so many times where someone will attack and everyone will try to kill the person and run after. There may be one left but they are looking at the fight and not the door. 8 secs. That's all it takes.

Personal experience .....

I am nod guarding snow and i see GUNSLINGER coming from center. I target him and wait for him to start capping .... before he reach the stairs to the turret he rolls to get the to the turret ... and at that moment he dissapers from my screen ...... he is invisible but i can see his cast bar trying to cap ... he is already 50% through the cap and i still cannot see him on my screen. I do a force push and thank god i interupt him....

What the heck was that? some will say lag .... but come on i could see the guy coming from center how the heck did he dissapear from my screen?

Personal experience .....

I am nod guarding snow and i see GUNSLINGER coming from center. I target him and wait for him to start capping .... before he reach the stairs to the turret he rolls to get the to the turret ... and at that moment he dissapers from my screen ...... he is invisible but i can see his cast bar trying to cap ... he is already 50% through the cap and i still cannot see him on my screen. I do a force push and thank god i interupt him....

What the heck was that? some will say lag .... but come on i could see the guy coming from center how the heck did he dissapear from my screen?

That is a visual bug that I think both snipers and operatives can get from that roll since they both have one. I am not sure though if it is 100% random or something that can in fact be exploited.

I've seen this several times fairly recently. One of those times was on my own team. I bug reported it (multiple instances).

Interestingly, given a post regarding 1.1, I was looking at the old 1.1 patch notes and ran across this:

Players who are interacting with a Warzone objective and are then affected by an area of stealth effect will have the objective interaction interrupted. This ensures players cannot exploit area of stealth effects to secure Warzone objectives unaffected and unseen by defending players.

Given one of the two instances in a single Voidstar I witnessed with a clump of what I thought was all stealthers on my team by the door, I wonder if this little ol' bug has made a resurgence. BW?

Given the most recent post about fixing backfilling/games starting with less than 8 players on a team, and how the "fix" will only result in less instances of the issue and that it won't fix it outright, I would imagine the same is true for this bug. Less instances, but it can still happen.

That's the basic theme for all their "fixes" really - Bolster, Map rotations, Mercs... Things get a little better, but they can never fix anything completely. I'm not sure if it's incompetence, laziness, or just the game engine limiting their ability to fix things.

Edited by jibboo