Carrots.

Deluged

Things get put out there by the Developers-and-or Moderators, in an effort to keep us after the carrot.

"Watch for it guys, its coming"

"when?"

"snicker, we're not telling"

What will it consist of?

"chortle, we're not saying either"

Seriously, it all feels sophomoric and silly to me.

How about this.

Announce things to come when you can do more than just play mind games.

Why the need to put things out there when so little is known about it?

They've been like this since Beta and all it did was wind people up, it didn't create excitement or tension it was just really poor quality customer interaction.

You don't see Banks doing teaser adverts "we might be launching a new savings account, we might not, but if we are we won't tell you anything about how it might work or what the interest rate will be!"

Things get put out there by the Developers-and-or Moderators, in an effort to keep us after the carrot.

"Watch for it guys, its coming"

"when?"

"snicker, we're not telling"

What will it consist of?

"chortle, we're not saying either"

Seriously, it all feels sophomoric and silly to me.

How about this.

Announce things to come when you can do more than just play mind games.

Why the need to put things out there when so little is known about it?

If you allow the moderators of a game forum to play mind games with you, you need to work on strengthening your mind.

You say it like this is some new idea. This has been a marketing tactic for lord knows how many years in a lot of different industries

There are also alot of people that rape, murder, etc, and have for a very long number of years. Doesnt mean we should suddenly start accepting it for common acceptable practices.

There are also alot of people that rape, murder, etc, and have for a very long number of years. Doesnt mean we should suddenly start accepting it for common acceptable practices.

I think you just pulled off the mother of all false equivalence. :rolleyes:

I find most "carrots" intriguing. It keeps me interested and guessing at possibilities. I think where most players falter is in their expectations. People get their hopes up for something grand in a game, when, at the end of the day, the game is still just pixels which you only take with you as memories. There is no Silver Star or Medal of Honor at the end of an MMO. If more people reigned in their expectations, they would find more joy in the carrots and less disappointment.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." ~

I find Carrots a really stupid idea. I am all for in Spring 2015 we will have 2 new species, a new class for both factions and a new level 55 end game zone. It gives people something to look forward to and know what they are getting.

When they offer half truths like "Super big announcement coming this Friday, make sure you are around." When they then announce that cantina tours are coming most players are not super excited they are pissed off they expected something bigger that had some impact to them. Now I know Fanboyz will claim every announcement ever made was the greatest announcement every and they were never disappointed. However the majority of players are often disappointed and feel cheated. The feeling is irrational because we have not lost anything but all the hype makes up hopefully and then that hope is crushed.

Why don't the Dev's just tell us what is coming, what is planned and when we will see it not all half truths which blow minor events and news out of all proportion.

This just in: Companies hype their products! :eek:

OP,

Every company will try to sell their product as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

Your job, as a consumer, is to remain calm around words like "amazing", "awesome", "mind-blowing" etc and understand the fact that a company can and will do anything in their power to keep you guessing and interested in remaining their customer to find out what you're getting.

But it's not only the company's fault that people just seem to enjoy over-hyping things.

A "mind-blowing" update will start from "a new planet" and if you allow it, will end up as "Darth Vader will personally deliver a special edition Jawagram to your house".

That's not their fault. That's OUR fault.

Hopefully, you'll understand that marketing is a great tool which -much like a knife- can and will be used for both good and bad stuff.

But a video game's marketing is rather harmless, really. Anyone can just leave at any time.

What I'm concerned about is that marketing seems to have found a new favorite customer - politicians.

That's what you should be worried about.

Not a game not delivering exactly what your imagination created.