Which Sniper tree is better?

I've been curious for a long time which tree is best as far as all around DPS/aplicability goes. Really looking for a strong build for pvp that doesnt limit my pve ability as well. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

To be honest, MarksMan all the way.

If you find yourself a good rotation, you don't run out of energy not even if you try and with that, you keep a constant flow of DPS.

Wow this is a hard one to answer...lol. Here's a link to a parses thread: 2.0 PvE DPS Leaderboard. As you can see on a dummy and big circle bosses Engineering is going to be the highest dps. But on others bosses, it kinda depends. A single target boss that needs lots of burst would be good for MM. A boss that has lots of adds or several things you need to hit at one time (desert boss in S&V is a good example), Lethality is a good choice. On any average boss hybrid Lethality/Engineering is going to do the most dps generally, but it can be hard to maintain energy, and is somewhat variable. I personally for PvE prefer either Lethality or MM, as they both come close (MM closer on dummy) to hybrid's dps.

For PvP, i personally prefer Lethality. I go about somewhat of a rotation like CG - CD - Cull - TD - Filler - Switch Target. With target swtiching happening, especially in Voidstar the DoTs which have a lingering toxin effect are hard to cleanse and do a lot of damage. For single-target dmg, which can be better in Huttball or Ancient Hypergates, MM or Hybrid are better (mainly MM) if you think you can respec in time. :D

For leveling: pre - 30, the best is engineering getting the cunning and energy benefits, IP at 30 letting you have 2 DoTs, then later cluster bombs and they will give you energy. Once you hit 30, Lethality seems to be the best spec as you have an almost full rotation just missing WP, which doesn't really matter, SoS, which can be replaced by ambush or EP, and TD after Cull. MM at that point is too weak without SoS and unlike Lethality, doesn't work w/o full rotation. At 36, when you get SoS MM is full rotation, and Lethality has it's main filler. At this point MM might be better for PvE, but as i said earlier Lethality is beast in pvp. At lvl 45, you can get a full Lethality rotation making it now viable for pve over MM (maybe), and MM gets the Volley which gives SoS a buff and also lets you better use CD and EP. Also at that point full Hybrid is pretty much or nearly possible.

I don't know that much about engineering post 30, Paowee has good a good Google Docs presentation with videos about it. It can be pretty good for pvp as i've heard, but in PvE it is useless w/o big circle bosses pretty much.

Hoped that helped. :)

lethality is sustained tankbuster with some burst. Tiny bit of AOE

MM is sustained squishyburner, with short, frequent bursts.

Engi has long term long setup burst that can burn squishies but also isn't useless against tanks. Also tons of AOE, best survivability from straight defense

Those are the niches that I can find in the specs

Try an MM/Engineering Hybrid.

1. Ambush + Explosive Probe + Followthrough = >12k dmg

2. SoS + Cluster Bombs + Followthrough = >12k dmg

Give me a higher burst than that in a shorter period of time!

Plus you get Orbital Strikes that can hit for >5k per hit, with a 45 sec cooldown.

But of course mobility would also be the worst part of the build.