Sub perks...what kind of things would make traditionalists happy?

LordArtemis

This however, is a valid contention. There are many issues in game that are in need of address but seem to be swept aside to allow focus on the next cartel release. In fact, the cartel market has received more updates, in its short life, then has the game.

I hope you understand that the people designing items for cartel market and the people fixing bugs in the game mechanics are completely separate. Neither can do the job of the other. Stopping cartel market updates until all bugs are fixed would not get those bugs fixed any faster. If anything, it would be detrimental to the game, since players would not get any new packs to spend cartel coins on, Bioware would get less profits, and would have to downsize.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you understand that the people designing items for cartel market and the people fixing bugs in the game mechanics are completely separate. Neither can do the job of the other. Stopping cartel market updates until all bugs are fixed would not get those bugs fixed any faster. If anything, it would be detrimental to the game, since players would not get any new packs to spend cartel coins on, Bioware would get less profits, and would have to downsize.

Every 100,000 subscribers equate to $1,500,000 per month. If they have the equivalent of 500,000, through actual subs or CM average, then they are making $7,500,000 per month. That's not chump change.

Edited by CosmicKat

Every 100,000 subscribers equate to $1,500,000 per month. If they have the equivalent of 500,000, through actual subs or CM average, then they are making $7,500,000 per month. That's not chump change.

7,500,000 dollars, while substantial, is just a drop in EA's bucket, even if you factor in all the Cartel purchases. Plus most of that money is probably going to finance EA's other projects instead of being reinvested in the game. I would be very surprised if the developers actually received more than a million dollars per month to maintain the game.

The development team downsizing, the Cartel Market takeover and the constant stream of reused content is all evidence that they want to keep the game just good enough that they don't start losing subs drastically again. All the while, investing minimal actual effort in the game and hoping to get as much money from the CM as possible.

Not quite maintenance mode but a mere fraction of what the game could (should) be.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

6) Subscriber rewards (loyalty)

Similar to the system that was in SWG, except that rewards would be based on total SUBSCRIBED time for the account. At different intervals you would receive a gift...title, emote, pet, etc....based on the total amount of time you have been a subscriber.

Some examples

30 day - "Loyal citizen" title

60 day - jawa emote pack

90 day - Legacy equipment token

120 day - faction holo

This actually sounds like a awesome idea...your rewards imo...are lame. But hey 10 for effort. As a sub...sometimes I feel like I am gearing up f2p and enabling them to play without supporting the game. What I mean is that the unlocks...they sell very well. I dont need them. And I would be a fool to ignore how many credits they go for...so I sell them, and a f2p gets to play like a sub...not fair I think. And yet, I continue this because it is a good way to make credits. I feel as the f2p model is a "trial version"...something to hook people. And the idea is that the will sub and BW gets all happy. But it seems to have an opposite effect. Subs are creating these "fake subs" And BW is holding a steady income rather than a rising one.

I could be wrong though...

BUT GOOD IDEAS...

I'm well aware of the concept of resource allocation. I've run a successful business for 30 years. That does not mean that you take your janitor and put him in the lab, it means that one would allocate sufficient funding and personnel to the department in question , not have one department do another department's job.

Further, I did not imply that they stop all work on the cartel market, but to insure that resources are equally distributed to other areas of need. Stopping all production of the cartel market would not be recommended in this case, just as limiting, to almost nothing, the efforts currently placed on quality of life issues is a bad thing.

Proper resource allocation is one of the keys to business success. I do not see it being accomplished here.

I quite liked the City of Heroes loyalty rewards.

Based on the number of months you've subscribed for you unlock little extras, free respecs, items, low level abilities, titles.

Once the system is in place all you need to do it think of one little thing new each month.

E.G:

Number of Months / Reward

1 - Title & Emote

2 - XP Boost x 5

3 - 10% CM Discount Voucher

4 - Title & Emote

5 - XP Boost x 5

6 - Unique Legacy Ability

7 - Title & Emote

8 - XP Boost x 5

9 - Fun Item (ala Party Jawa)

10 -Title & Emote

11 - XP Boost x 5

12 - Cartel Pack

Based on the number of months you've subscribed for you unlock little extras, free respecs, items, low level abilities, titles.

Once the system is in place all you need to do it think of one little thing new each month.

E.G:

Number of Months / Reward

1 - Title & Emote

2 - XP Boost x 5

3 - 10% CM Discount Voucher

4 - Title & Emote

5 - XP Boost x 5

6 - Unique Legacy Ability

7 - Title & Emote

8 - XP Boost x 5

9 - Fun Item (ala Party Jawa)

10 -Title & Emote

11 - XP Boost x 5

12 - Cartel Pack

Yes, this type of milestone system has been or is being used in many games in the market and I think it would be a good fit here.

That was one of the (many) things that kept me subscribed to CoH, even when I went through burn out periods where I didn't play for a month or two, and even after they went f2p. A free power that teleports your team to you, one that teleports you to your mission entrance, one that clears the fog of war from a map? Yes, please! Free respecs, costume change tokens, and character slots? Yes, please! Free costume pieces, storage, pets, and base items? Yes, please! Now, I'll grant that not every reward was a grand slam, but many of them were really nice. I'd love to see something like this implemented here.

Anyone who has not unsubbed is by definition satisfied enough at least to keep subscribing.

That isn't saying much, satisfied enough won't keep people playing for years.

This game has a management problem. They are more worried about making quick money than creating a sustainable cash flow. I just paid to unlock Cathar and I was upset at how few hair options they had. Obviously part of a plan to charge for a hair pack in the future. Nothing wrong with bringing our an additional option pack, but charging people for a pack with intentionally limited options is just insulting.

I'm only here because I like MMORPGs, and there isn't another out there now I want to play at all.

As soon as something pops up I'm out and hopefully not coming back. I certainly won't be buying anything else from the cartel market before finding out if EA is being a shyster again.

I think more free for subscriber content is required.

And F2P are too limited. From playing Neverwinter the difference is amazing.

They need to focus on what made this game popular and put some real work into it.

Work on the story, fix bugs, do something WoW didn't do.

Right now SWTOR is a great example of how not to run an MMORPG.

That isn't saying much, satisfied enough won't keep people playing for years.

It will keep them playing as long as they are satisfied. BWEA doesn't care if people are ecstatic, just as long as they pay. It's a game to us and a business to BWEA. They owe us nothing we don't pay for and we owe them nothing at all. The game will eventually die. I will keep playing as long as I have fun. Then I will quit. That's what everyone will do.

I'm only here because I like MMORPGs, and there isn't another out there now I want to play at all. As soon as something pops up I'm out and hopefully not coming back. I certainly won't be buying anything else from the cartel market before finding out if EA is being a shyster again.

That's what you should do if you don't like something.

I think more free for subscriber content is required. And F2P are too limited. From playing Neverwinter the difference is amazing.

Amazing "good" or amazing "bad?" I found Neverwinter to be a mind-numbingly boring hack-fest.

That was one of the (many) things that kept me subscribed to CoH, even when I went through burn out periods where I didn't play for a month or two, and even after they went f2p. A free power that teleports your team to you, one that teleports you to your mission entrance, one that clears the fog of war from a map? Yes, please! Free respecs, costume change tokens, and character slots? Yes, please! Free costume pieces, storage, pets, and base items? Yes, please! Now, I'll grant that not every reward was a grand slam, but many of them were really nice. I'd love to see something like this implemented here.

I liked CoHs reward system as well. I was playing the game when it shut down, that was a sad loss.

It will keep them playing as long as they are satisfied.

Or until something better comes along, which is my point, I'm sure tons of people are just waiting for something else to come along to leave. The beter the game becomes, the less people will leave, and more will come back.

Amazing "good" or amazing "bad?" I found Neverwinter to be a mind-numbingly boring hack-fest.
It is a very different game, not social enough for me. Just the F2P system was much better is what I was saying.