Sub perks...what kind of things would make traditionalists happy?

LordArtemis

I would like to see companion crafting OR personal crafting. In WoW, (sorry to use this example), I could stand in one spot and make 40 items in 5 minutes. In SWTOR I can make 5 items in 40 minutes. The time sink is drastically unnecessary. The crafting speed increase would be nice, but as a sub perk, I would like to send all available companions off to craft AND craft myself as well. This would greatly increase crafting performance and allow more time on missions and less time on Fleet. I'd rather be questing :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I subscribed to this game way back in December 2011, there was no free to play option. I guess that makes me a "traditionalist"?

What I thought my subscription would bring was new content consisting of flash points, operations, quests, planets, all the stuff we play. I wasn't concerned with space missions or war zones because I don't play those, but I expected those to come too for the people who enjoy them.

What would make me, as a traditionalist, happy?

Exactly what I wrote above. I don't care about "perks", whatever those are. I don't care about more cartel coins. I don't care about fireworks or pets or speeders or cute outfits.

I care about content I can play through.

Well put. I heartily agree.

I don't want anything special for my subscription. That defeats the point of being a traditionalist, does it not? It would be hypocritical. I just want them to spend less time making knickknacks for the cash shop instead of making real content.

2) All players are important to a game IMO. Certainly it is impossible to please everyone, but there should always be an attempt to please all of the playerbase, even if such an attempt would be futile.

I agree that it's impossible, but that's all I agree on. It's always a waste of time trying to do the impossible. A game that tries to please everyone will be a below average game to everyone. The best games pick one thing and do that the best they possibly can, whether that's raiding, PvP, story or whatever. That goes for payment models too. This fremium crap is the worst of both worlds.

I think the biggest thing they could do to boost subscription attractiveness, and retention, is to honor the originally stated wording of what a subscription would cover... all playable content (expansions, races, classes, etc) should be included.

That would make having to pay extra for fluff far easier to swallow, and would probably result in more CM sales.

You're living in a fairy-tale land. Races and classes are not playable content....and nobody gives away expansions for free.

While I certainly think a subscriber rewards program would be a smart idea and it's been suggested numerous times in the forums, it's not really a life-threatening decision here. Either people feel their sub is worth the money they pay for it or they don't. If they don't, then stop subbing. People that keep subbing and then whine in the forums that their sub isn't worth the cost just have no credibility with anything they say.

I think the biggest thing they could do to boost subscription attractiveness, and retention, is to honor the originally stated wording of what a subscription would cover... all playable content (expansions, races, classes, etc) should be included.

That would make having to pay extra for fluff far easier to swallow, and would probably result in more CM sales.

They are already doing that, so I am not sure how they could change things to satisfy you.

They are already doing that, so I am not sure how they could change things to satisfy you.

Historically they have done it very, very slowly.

If they can do a couple 2.3's a year and a couple meaningful QOL patches a year, that would be compelling.

A few notes before I begin.

1) Traditionalists, IMO, are players that do not generally care for the F2P/Market system of rewards for RL money. They generally believe that something in the game should be earned by in game means, reward without challenge (or effort, as some have coined) is not healthy for a game. They could also be called hardcore players.

2) All players are important to a game IMO. Certainly it is impossible to please everyone, but there should always be an attempt to please all of the playerbase, even if such an attempt would be futile.

3) Though I do not consider myself part of the traditional or hardcore group I can sympathize with their position. This is NOT an anti-traditionalist thread. This is a thread to discuss what could be added to the game to satisfy, even if only partially, the traditionalist crowd that subscribes to the game.

Now that that is out of the way....

There have been some concerns posted recently by traditionalist players that too many items are making their way to the market....that subs are getting very little love. The coin stipend does not seem to be having the effect it should, as it naturally provides coins for a system that traditionalists do not care for in the first place.

What could be added or changed in the game to satisfy traditionalists if they are subscribers?

Here are my suggestions.

1) Crafting speed and other crew skill considerations

I think this is one way that subs could really shine. Crafting speed is really slow, especially if you can't leave the crafters alone and log out because you are light on resources and are trying to conserve while looking to hit the blue and purple schems. The only way to speed it up at present is affection, and the increase is negligible IMO.

I would suggest they offer a 25 percent speed buff to subscribers in crafting, 50 percent if affection is maxed.

I also think an increased chance for mission success, say 10 percent would be in order, as well as increased output from nodes and harvesting if possible, also 10 percent, but only if the crew skill is max.

Finally, the ability to send out one more companion per level for missions or crafting items for subs. So if F2P and Preferred can send 5 companions, you can send 6.

2) Legacy heroic summon

I have suggested this in the past...the ability to summon one of your other characters or companions, same faction, inside your legacy or crew to fight by your side for 30 seconds during your heroic moment. This would be a sub only perk.

The alternate character would be controlled by the AI, and would not suffer any damage to gear from combat or death. Your alternate characters would use standard companion abilities based on normal setups for that class, but would benefit from current gear and level.

3) Turbo boost for speeders

Again, a sub only perk. This would be a speed boost, similar to "on foot" speed boost abilities that would or could be used while mounted, providing a short burst of speed comparable to similar abilities.

4) Further reduced repair and mod extraction costs

This would be a third tier, the current costs would be moved to preferred, and a new reduced cost tier would be put in place that would provide a 50 percent reduction in both repair and mod extraction costs for subs.

5) Unique subscriber speeder, faction specific color

I would suggest the speeder that is at most taxi points in the game, since that speeder is very rare. Subscribers would be given a gift like this in either black for empire or white for republic. This would be a 3 tier speeder similar to the speeder provided for digital upgrade players, and would be provided across the account.

6) Subscriber rewards (loyalty)

Similar to the system that was in SWG, except that rewards would be based on total SUBSCRIBED time for the account. At different intervals you would receive a gift...title, emote, pet, etc....based on the total amount of time you have been a subscriber.

Some examples

30 day - "Loyal citizen" title

60 day - jawa emote pack

90 day - Legacy equipment token

120 day - faction holo

and so on.

I may add more later. I would like to hear other NON CM suggestions from the community. Thanks for reading.

This is awesome. It sorta looks like STO's loyalty program. While STO did some bad things, one of the best things they did was in part, the veterans rewards. Some awesome looking ships came from that system. :D

This...RACES especially. I understand having to unlock pureblood sith to play a jedi knight, but that is done by getting to 50 as a pureblood. But to add in a new race and make it so even subs have to buy it...I still haven't unlocked Cathar because I refuse to buy something I should have gotten for free.

This...RACES especially. I understand having to unlock pureblood sith to play a jedi knight, but that is done by getting to 50 as a pureblood. But to add in a new race and make it so even subs have to buy it...I still haven't unlocked Cathar because I refuse to buy something I should have gotten for free.

Races are fluff. Fluff belongs in the CM. I don't see an issue.

That's your prerogative. Your personal boycott is not going to change anything on a larger scale, however.

Races are fluff. Fluff belongs in the CM. I don't see an issue.

My issue is when they went F2P model, they stated that all future content , such as playable races, would be given to subs for free........

I'm not really a fan of Cathar, so I wouldn't use it if it was given to me...just makes me mad they backed out of what they said they would do.

Edited by Braxxiss

Yes, because I saved links from that long ago. I remember what I read, I'm sure the post doesn't even exist anymore.

Funny that I do not remember them saying anything about races being free, but you coincidentally do remember it but can't provide a link.

My issue is when they went F2P model, they stated that all future content , such as playable races, would be given to subs for free.

They never stated "such as playable races." They said "content and future updates." Notice it was not "future content and future updates." All they have to do is classify races as "not an update" and they're done.

Funny that I do not remember them saying anything about races being free, but you coincidentally do remember it but can't provide a link.

http://www.swtor.com/free

What do you know...right there it is...

"Enjoy access to the full spectrum of character races in the game – Create the character that fits your personality best"

Sure, we have "access" to it, but this isn't a sub thing...everyone has "access" to all the races if you take it that way.

This is not what I was talking about though...I read it in the forums just as F2P was being brought on, that we would have free access to all future content, baring expansions....

http://www.swtor.com/free

What do you know...right there it is...

"Enjoy access to the full spectrum of character races in the game – Create the character that fits your personality best"

Sure, we have "access" to it, but this isn't a sub thing...everyone has "access" to all the races if you take it that way.

This is not what I was talking about though...I read it in the forums just as F2P was being brought on, that we would have free access to all future content, baring expansions....

You answered your own point. You have access to it.

You answered your own point. You have access to it.

Then why is it under Subscription bonus. Why not under F2P, since they have "access" to it as well. I understand, this is difficult for you to process. All they have to do is move that up under F2P and I would have no ground to stand on until I found the post from back then (that most likely doesn't exist anymore) that promised subs all future content, baring expansion, free.

And on that note, I'm done arguing my case, as it was argued enough with the initial release of the race.

Edited by Braxxiss

Then why is it under Subscription bonus. Why not under F2P, since they have "access" to it as well. I understand, this is difficult for you to process. All they have to do is move that up under F2P and I would have no ground to stand on until I found the post from back then (that most likely doesn't exist anymore) that promised subs all future content, baring expansion, free.

Its not difficult for me to process, lets lay off the personal attacks. They said you would have access to it and you do. If they said free access, then yes you would be correct. But they did not.

For the record I did not buy the Cathar either as I am not really interested and I think they were quite overpriced. That does not change the fact that they are a fluff item and fluff items belong in the CM.

Edited by Icebergy

I would love to see that actually, a legacy cargo bank. Would be very convenient for switching items between alts. Hopefully if its in, it would be subscriber exclusive

Well, the way I suggested it was like this....

I have decided to adjust my suggestion just a bit based on some feedback from others and a few other ideas. I am suggesting that the following be added to the Legacy system..

Legacy Cargo/Bank

This item would be a legacy unlock that a player could get at say legacy 20, with further unlocks adding more function to the bay.

First unlock - Legacy Cargo bay

This unlocks a legacy wide cargo bay shared across all members of your legacy. This bay appears in your quarters on your ship. Any items placed in this single bay are accessible by all legacy members.

Second unlock - Additional Legacy bay

This unlocks a second pane in the legacy cargo bay.

Third unlock - Legacy bank

This unlocks a place to deposit EC that can be accessed by all legacy members. Bank would be limited to 5 million EC.

I would suggest both EC and CC unlock ability for the feature.

This would allow players to transfer items between characters on an account while still restricting the ability to email other players if a person is not subscribed so it can not be abused.

If a player goes to preferred status after a sub, the Legacy bank would be limited to 350k with the rest placed in escrow. Various escrow unlocks, similar to character escrow unlocks would allow more money to be deposited into the bank.

Thanks for reading.

Now, note, I suggested it as something everyone could use to transfer items and coin back and forth between legacy characters, and it would have been most appealing to F2P or preferred players due to mail restrictions. There would be limitations in place if you are not subbed, but it's better than nothing IMO.

That doesn't mean this couldn't be a subscriber only benefit, but I would rather see it as one for everyone.

When I subscribed to this game way back in December 2011, there was no free to play option. I guess that makes me a "traditionalist"?

Well, to be fair DarthTHC, that is not how I defined a traditionalist. If that is what you meant to infer that would not be accurate.

I understand, this is difficult for you to process.

Its not difficult for me to process, lets lay off the personal attacks.

Yes, please do. I can appreciate that people have opinions and feel strongly about them, but I would really prefer that my suggestion threads do not devolve into diatribe filled slugfests.

I'd ask that everyone behave, and appreciate it if you do.

Personally I think that they need to come up with something that is an actual reward for being a sub, not a punishment for not subbing. I really like that they gave F2P people the option to unlock set amount of credits from their escrow. Removing such restrictions that in essence are just punishment for non-subs and not really a "perk" for subbing I think is a first step, then replacing them with actual perks (like lower mod removal costs, better vendor sell prices etc.).

Perhaps though the real problem is that they're trying to balance a sub model and F2P model but not really succeeding at either (F2P/Preferred is too restrictive, subbing doesn't really offer perks). Thus maybe the best thing to do would be to axe the sub model entirely. Give current subs unlocks that will permanently unlock smaller things like credit wallet, unlimited med probes (and all current forever unlocks like artifact equipment) etc. Sell permanent unlocks that do this stuff on the CM for everyone else. Fold all other minor miscellaneous perks into preferred as default perks that come with that account type. Offer a CM package that unlocks WZ, space, FP, Ops etc. for an entire month at 10 USD (in essence offer a pack that provides all the perks not automatically included in Preferred status for a price slightly less than a current sub). FP, WZ, space, Ops weekly authorizations would still be buy able independently like currently for maximum flexibility.

If they did the above they wouldn't have to screw around with the sub/preferred nonsense and would instead be able to focus on just two account types (preferred and pure F2P) and by offering a monthly unlock pack that grants access to everything not included in Preferred status by default or a separate permanent unlock they'd be able continue giving people the full access sub experience. This method would also grant them the ability to offer an expensive permanent unlock package that would in essence be functionally identical to a lifetime subscription.