Quick question about melee combat

Galika

Hello,

After reading some of the provided guides, I still have a question about how combat in SWTOR works for melee classes - is there some sort of penalty when hitting enemies while standing in front of them? In other MMORPGs it's usually recommended to stay behind to get a higher hit chance or avoid some sort of blocking an attack. I still do it because I'm used to it, but it would be good to know if it's worth anything.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Galika

I don't think it affects your damage. How-ever behind the enemy in PvE (Group-play atleast) it's often the safest spot due to many bosses having cleave and/or AoE and often a prefered luxery for healers/tanks to see aggro-loss (I very much appreciate it as a healer.)

In PvP the advantage is that when you're behind someone you're out of their line of sight, meaning they'd have to turn around to be able to hit you (hence so many people keep moving around their targets in PvP.)

Edited by Gloomycakes

I've been playing WoW since late vanilla as a melee and as a prot warrior (when you actually had to work a bit at maintaining threat). One of the things you want to tell yourself is that every mob has a cleave or frontal cone AOE. And even if it doesnt...it still does. As a melee there were very few fights where we had to stack in front of the boss. I dont know if the case is the same for SWTOR, but if a strat requires it you will likely be told (or better yet you can always find out).

And its funny that Gloomycakes should mention it but sudden mob facing changes is how i used to be able to tell if a mob changed aggro from my tank. Back then WoW didnt have individual aggro percentages on nameplates or anything like that. And you were looking at mobs anyways so quick change of facing is faster to detect. As a melee if the boss suddenly changed facing due to an aggro pull we would pop aggro reduction and/or defensive CDs. The boss could also be facing away really quick to cast a spell at a player in that direction. But bosses that have a one shotting type cleave ability generally arent designed to also face someone in the distance and cast a spell at them. If they do have both the devs (unless they're stupid) will make it so that the abilities dont overlap. IE turn around cast a spell+cleave the melee standing back there and kill them all.

EDIT: even if you are 100% sure the boss doesnt cleave or breath aoe, you still shouldnt stack on front where the tank is. It is good for the tank to have as clear a view as possible and it also helps healers sometimes to be able to see the tank clearly. Any obstruction by a npc mob usually cant be helped, but obstruction by friendly players definately can.

Edited by swtonewbie

There is no additional damage to be gained from attacking from behind and it does not give you an increased chance of a critical hit. However:

1. As previously covered most bosses/ enemies have a frontal/ conal AoE. Being behind them means you won't get hit by this. So I guess that counts as a penalty. :)

2. Some melee attacks can only be executed from behind, such as a scoundrel's "Backblast". They may have a high chance of critting, but this is attack-specific and not because you are hitting them from behind.

As a melee character, you have to be very aware of what is going on and your placement. Good luck and have fun. :)

Defenses on this game work different than games like WoW. In wow they parry only attacks from front side. Here all defenses work same way against attacks from all directions.

Only reasons to be behind

1. Many bosses have cleave/frontal cone aoe attack

2. If your class has a backstab type of attack that only works behind

3. It makes easier to see if tank has aggro from which way the mob is facing