[PvE Shadow Tank]: Questions

Liwilliams

I'm a new player, and I've been reading around trying to learn more about my class/spec as a whole. So, even if it's just the answer to one question, all feedback is absolutely appreciated. :)

[

Secondly, you'd be surprised at exactly *how much* of a Shadow's total mitigation is dependent upon self-healing (25+%) and how big of a problem that is, considering how spiky Shadows are. Self-healing is both reactive and non-scaling. [--Kitru]

1.) Where can I get a parse for SWTOR?

2.) I am surprised to see so much self-healing. Personally, I'm pretty sure I'm not taking advantage of all of the abilities that could possible proc self-healing. Which ones do?

3.) Because of this self-healing, would relics that proc additional healing be better than relics for shield absorb/defense? (I know it might sounds crazy :rolleyes:)

Gearing

For a fresh character that is just gearing for 55; is it best to do 50 HM dungeons or get the 55 pvp gear for tanking?

Spec

Is there an ideal spec for tanks? To be honest, there are some pretty random talents on the tree, and I just kinda sit back like -- why would someone use this? I think there are some mechanics I'm overlooking because of it.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Edited by Liwilliams

1: Common parse programs I see used are Mox (don't remember where I got it, sorry) and torparse, which you use by going to torparse.com and uploading your parses there. I think they also have a program you can download as well, but I just upload my parses, personally.

2: Harnessed Shadows and the Combat Charge are your big sources of healing. You also have your Battle Readiness for a burst of healing. They add up quite a bit when you get going on a boss.

3: Yes. The healing relic is considered to be the best relic in the game for shadows and assassins. It's kind of not so good for healers, interestingly enough.

As for gearing, I would start with 66 mods, enhancements, and armorings. These can be crafted without any special operation materials, so should be fairly cheap on the GTN. They are also better than you would get out of the 50 hard mode flashpoints. Once you have that, if you can get a good healer from your guild to join you for a 55 hard mode, you should be okay, but remember to keep your cooldowns ready, as several trash pulls are VERY difficult for someone who is just gearing up. An example of a 66 mod would be Advanced Robust Mod 28B. They are also minimum level 53, so that can help your search.

As for the skill tree, here's a decent place to start for putting your tree together:

http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/jedi-shadow/20/?build=020322201121023002120203020200100300000000000000000000000000000003220000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

And to answer the question about some of the skills, they might be designed for pvp or other aspects of the game. For example, Applied Force is basically designed for dps shadows, so as a tank, there's not much point in taking it. Conversely, Jedi Resistance, despite being in a dps tree, is REALLY good for tanks, so you'll rarely find a decent shadow tank skipping it.

A quick edit: When I say that's a place to start putting your tree together, I mean that's not necessarily the optimal setup. For example, you might find spinning kick useful for some trash, so moving a point out of endurance to be able to use it might work for you.

Edited by Stormskimmer

Is there an ideal spec for tanks? To be honest, there are some pretty random talents on the tree, and I just kinda sit back like -- why would someone use this? I think there are some mechanics I'm overlooking because of it.

sure there are certain talent you'll always take, but in general if you want to have the "best tree" you would have to optimize it for the boss you're facing

As for the skill tree, here's a decent place to start for putting your tree together:

http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/jedi-shadow/20/?build=020322201121023002120203020200100300000000000000000000000000000003220000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

And to answer the question about some of the skills, they might be designed for pvp or other aspects of the game. For example, Applied Force is basically designed for dps shadows, so as a tank, there's not much point in taking it. Conversely, Jedi Resistance, despite being in a dps tree, is REALLY good for tanks, so you'll rarely find a decent shadow tank skipping it.

A quick edit: When I say that's a place to start putting your tree together, I mean that's not necessarily the optimal setup. For example, you might find spinning kick useful for some trash, so moving a point out of endurance to be able to use it might work for you.

Force Synergy is actually a lot worse than Applied Force, and yet both of them are simply damage increase skills. There's no reason to take FS over AF, so I'm not sure what the intent is there. More importantly, AF is actually a 2 point talent, which frees up an additional point for Mental Fortitude (which is a survivability increase, due to the boost to the self-heal, as well as a slight spikiness amelioration).

Based on lengthy discussions on previous threads, the optimal build for a PvE shadow tank is 39/3/4.

Based on lengthy discussions on previous threads, the optimal build for a PvE shadow tank is 39/3/4.

I'm allergic to Mental Fortitude (at least until it becomes more than 1% per point; seriously, why are the End talents 1% when the mainstat talents are 3%?) so I go with Force Synergy instead. As I see it, both of them are minute differences in actual performance so it's really just up to personal preference. Of course, I've been rethinking my position on Mental Fortitude thanks to our disgusting allergy to spike damage and the apparent need to stack the living hell out of Endurance so as not to fall over dead for no good reason. It chafes me, especially since it's such a painfully minute amount, but it at least reduces the risk of RNG death by a tiny amount.