Questions of the sexuality of companions in swtor

braton

Since the same gender romance option will be available soon (at last!) I've been wandering how bioware will accurately show same gender romance. I'm all for same gender romance, and i think that people who don't like it are pretty ignorant but at the same time i don't think that making every romance option in the game bisexual is the right way to do it since some of the characters (like Risha for the smuggler) don't seem all that bisexual. So does anyone know how it'll be done, or if I'm right in thinking that they'll make every romance interest bisexual?

Since the same gender romance option will be available soon (at last!) I've been wandering how bioware will accurately show same gender romance. I'm all for same gender romance, and i think that people who don't like it are pretty ignorant but at the same time i don't think that making every romance option in the game bisexual is the right way to do it since some of the characters (like Risha for the smuggler) don't seem all that bisexual. So does anyone know how it'll be done, or if I'm right in thinking that they'll make every romance interest bisexual?

Where have you heard that SGR will be an option soon, outside of Makeb?

I can't remember the source, but they said that they couldn't get same gender romance ready for the rest of the game for makeb but that they were going to get it out later on when they'd properly finished it or something

While I think that would make the SGR fans happiest, it would be a massive amount of work. Unless they already had some SGR lines they recorded that never made it to final, or they add SGR options to the end of the existing character conversations in some distant expansion - but that's still sixteen characters to add 2-5 cutscenes between each.

They'd probably choose only a few companions for each faction. Kaliyo is an obvious one - her conversations with the female IA are already a little bit charged. Less certain about other ones.

I hope they go all mass effect and choose a few companions who are gay, and leave the rest as they are. And if they're getting the voice actors to work on chapter 5 (Hopefully!) then they'd be on contract anyway, so there's no reason why they can't get them to voice the gay cut scenes. Edited by braton

I think it is great that SGR is finally being implemented in to the gay (I still have no idea why this wasn't an option from the start) that said I think I would be against making every companion bisexual or gay. Their personalities and characteristics should come first, and having some of the characters offer SGR would feel forced rather then a natural aspect for their characters (Although many companions, such as Kaliyo, would be perfect)

I think with the addition of HK and Treek, BW seem to want and implement more companions, so hopefully a few of them will be romanceable and either gay or bisexual from the start. :)

I think with the addition of HK and Treek, BW seem to want and implement more companions, so hopefully a few of them will be romanceable and either gay or bisexual from the start. :)

I think it would be awesome if they did that.

Make two fully voice acted companions (a male & female one) that are bi and that have their conversations integrated into all class storylines.

Of course that'll never happen, since they would have to make them Cartel Market only to recuperate the costs - which would cause entire flamestorms on the boards and everywhere else, ranging from "They are making SWTOR Pay2Gay again! RAGE!!!!" along with the usual "WUT?! A companion you can unlock through the Cartel Market?! Lets start five thousand petitions against it!" - because everything obviously has to be free. :rolleyes:

Edited by Callaron

I think it would be awesome if they did that.

Make two fully voice acted companions (a male & female one) that are bi and that have their conversations integrated into all class storylines.

Of course that'll never happen, since they would have to make them Cartel Market only to recuperate the costs - which would cause entire flamestorms on the boards and everywhere else, ranging from "They are making SWTOR Pay2Gay again! RAGE!!!!" along with the usual "WUT?! A companion you can unlock through the Cartel Market?! Lets start five thousand petitions against it!" - because everything obviously has to be free. :rolleyes:

Not that everything has to be free, but subs have a point in something should be obtainable in game. Notice how they don't give subs access to a much sought after color combo (of the color combos they have in place anyways...maybe I'll get lucky and Black/Tan will be easily available to subs), and instead say "We throw you some color combos, but yeah, not likely ones many would want."

Also, really, cut scenes...outside of expansions, that should just be an obvious one :p

New companions, as a sub, I feel they can be cartel market and I have no worries on it. I mean sure, we could be some of the mindless sheep who think make everything CM is the best way to go. :p

But if they make the companions Bi, it's not Pay2Gay or else it'd be Pay2Straight too :p

What I think will happen is they will make two new companions along the lines of Treek and HK-51 that you can get through in game means(not for Cartel Coins) that will be gay. This is better than re-writing the current companions as something they weren't intended to be.

What I think will happen is they will make two new companions along the lines of Treek and HK-51 that you can get through in game means(not for Cartel Coins) that will be gay. This is better than re-writing the current companions as something they weren't intended to be.

Some companions where intended to be totally hero-sexuality (i.e. bi/pansexual). This was stated at the Guild Summit, but the companions themselves were never named.

All current romance companions are herosexual*, they only discriminate based on gender, so it is not unreasonable for that restriction to be lifted.

(Quinn will romance an alien, Light-sided, Body 4 Warrior as readily as he will a Pureblood, Dark V, Body 1 Warrior, regardless of how they treat Vette, talk to him (outside of romance prompts) and generally act. He is already made to satisfy the "my character is how I want them, but the companion must follow the romance if I say, regardless", so the extension is only logical.)

Not that everything has to be free, but subs have a point in something should be obtainable in game. Notice how they don't give subs access to a much sought after color combo (of the color combos they have in place anyways...maybe I'll get lucky and Black/Tan will be easily available to subs), and instead say "We throw you some color combos, but yeah, not likely ones many would want."

Also, really, cut scenes...outside of expansions, that should just be an obvious one :p

New companions, as a sub, I feel they can be cartel market and I have no worries on it. I mean sure, we could be some of the mindless sheep who think make everything CM is the best way to go. :p

But if they make the companions Bi, it's not Pay2Gay or else it'd be Pay2Straight too :p

Having them available to subs would be great as well, I almost mentioned it earlier in fact.

But then the question came to mind "What if you cancel the sub?" does the companion just go into locked out mode? Similar to those times where a companion is unavailable because of story reasons - AKA kidnapped, crash landed into a hostile zone, etc...?

As for the Pay2Gay commment, you know some would still bring it up - despite the fact that it'd be completely irrelevant. :p

As for the Pay2Gay commment, you know some would still bring it up - despite the fact that it'd be completely irrelevant. :p

Actually, the idea of putting all SGRA companions (but no OGRA companions) on the CM essentially holds that non-heterosexual relationships are not 'standard' nor should they be considered so and that it is perfectly reasonable to say that straight people should get their content free (bundled with the game), but that LGB players should be paying extra for their content (the Cartel Market). And this wouldn't be some up-start company, this would be EA, who stand by their inclusive policies, and Bioware, who have made a reputation of being inclusive and having LGB relations as standard in their games.

But I guess the feelings of the LGBT community are irrelevant to a discussion about same-sex relationships in video games :rolleyes:

Which would be a valid complaint, but at the same time also the reason why we won't be able to get new things - at least until Bioware makes the expense of "upgrading" the current companions.

Well, no "new things" beyond generic companions with no romance interest à la HK and Treek.

Edited by Callaron

But I guess the feelings of the LGBT community are irrelevant to a discussion about same-sex relationships in video games :rolleyes:

Irrelevant to the community outside the game? Yes. Totally.

Irrelevant to the community inside the game? No. But judging by posts in the general forum, I'd say there are many who are of the mind, paying extra for content is okay, and this would be those who are and are not part of the community.