Color Crystals: No rhyme nor reason?

MSchuyler

Could someone please give a rundown on color crystals? (NB: Not dye modules)

I have some color crystals in gear that was dropped. I have a few comms and I was investigating upgrading the mods on the orange and purple gear I happen to have to be as strong as I could for the big assault in my class story. Some of the gear has color crystals, so I looked into upgrading those, but I don't understand the issues.

First, there are not many available at any given level. Second. Prices on the GTN go from 5,000 to 1,000,000 for what looks pretty much like the same stats. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason between price and value (value as in +X Aim, etc.) Third, there are some crystals on the CM for 600 CC, which is also very high.

I'm claiming crystal prices are "high" compared to the same value gain for, say, a mod that can be had for 2 comms.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Yes the only reason they cost more then 5k is because it's either a rare color, or has to be bought or obtained via Cartel market.

Basicaly if you don't care about color, cheaper is better

*5k blue crystal +41 power = 1m white crystal +41 power

I have a question about Premium versus Prototype color crystals.

Is there a rating system for Premium versus Prototype color crystals like the one for armoring, or is the only relevant factor for color crystals the stats they provide? I'm leaving personal preference for a specific color, or the rarity, of the crystal out.

If I use a Premium color crystal that has the same stats as a Prototype color crystal, is there any difference in the effectiveness of the color crystals? For example, would I be gimping myself by using a Premium +4 critical color crystal rather than a Prototype +4 critical color crystal?

Edited by Nmyownworld

Second. Prices on the GTN go from 5,000 to 1,000,000 for what looks pretty much like the same stats. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason between price and value (value as in +X Aim, etc.) Third, there are some crystals on the CM for 600 CC, which is also very high.

I'm claiming crystal prices are "high" compared to the same value gain for, say, a mod that can be had for 2 comms.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Regarding the same crystal going for 5k and 1mil creds? its a pretty common auction house scam to list crappy items for lots of creds. They are hoping that someone is going to click it by accident or someone will just nub it up and click and buy it for w/e reason.

The CM has crystals for 600 creds true, but you can add those to your collection. I forget how much the collection unlock cost me, but once unlocked remember that you can claim the crystal unlimited times on any toon on your account. The only bad thing is it has a level 35 requirement. I have a 41 endurance level 10 crystal that i use on all my toons and their comps. Once I hit level 35 then i claim four +41 power crystals, 2 for me and 2 for my dps comps. For my characters that run tanking comps though i leave the tank comp with the two +41 endurance crystals, and i run the two +41 power crystals for myself.

Edited by swtonewbie

I have a question about Premium versus Prototype color crystals.

Is there a rating system for Premium versus Prototype color crystals like the one for armoring, or is the only relevant factor for color crystals the stats they provide? I'm leaving personal preference for a specific color, or the rarity, of the crystal out.

If I use a Premium color crystal that has the same stats as a Prototype color crystal, is there any difference in the effectiveness of the color crystals? For example, would I be gimping myself by using a Premium +4 critical color crystal rather than a Prototype +4 critical color crystal?

Armoring and hilts is where you want to pay a bit of attention to the rating. Higher rating on armoring means when you put it in a piece of adaptive gear it will give you more armor value. On hilts, the higher the rating the higher the min-max damage. When comparing ratings between armoring and hilts you can ignore if it is premium, prototype or artifact. A premium armoring with 80 rating will be better then a prototype armoring with 70 rating.

For the mods and enhancements, they just add stats, so the more the better.

when your considering buying from AUction house.... forget rhyme or reason. People are ****heads. They will place a lvl 11 gear for 30k as if a lvl 11(new) player can afford it. I've seen other silliness.

My most important advice to you is from lvl's 1-54, don't worry about gear as long as you play storymode/flashpoints you'll have all the gear you'll ever need.

At level 55, where gear tuning is a must, then yes start worrying about looking up Best in Slot for your playstyle. But, even then the game gives your gear opportunities left and right. We are talking about "elite" mentality. If you want to focus that hard on a virtual game character I'd suggest seeking professional help...especially if your a "ganker" waiting ingame "non-pvp" area and waiting for players doing things to screw with them. Pathetic.