Looking 4 pros and cons of tanks.

chrismack

I have never tanked , spent my endgame as a healer and now I am looking to tank , but looking to experienced players to give me the pros and cons of each tank class and which one, would be the best fit for a new tanker..ie with lowest learning curb. I am believer in the k.i.s.s method..as of now I am not leaning towards any class, just looking for the best fit a new tanker. ty in advance all the help and time you take in answering this post ^_^

I have never tanked , spent my endgame as a healer and now I am looking to tank , but looking to experienced players to give me the pros and cons of each tank class and which one, would be the best fit for a new tanker..ie with lowest learning curb. I am believer in the k.i.s.s method..as of now I am not leaning towards any class, just looking for the best fit a new tanker. ty in advance all the help and time you take in answering this post ^_^

Shadow/Sin is pretty solid for threat holding, but also have a large took kit of abilities and cooldowns that need to be used, buffs/procs to watch, and have a higher squishy level than the other two tanks.

Guardians/Warriors are solid tanks, there is the small issue of threat on the initial pull, but once you get 4 or so attacks under your belt threat is never an issue. Guardians/Warriors have a very straight forward attack cycle, some of the most powerful cooldowns for use in game, and are very streamlined for incoming damage.

Troopers/Powertech are also solid tanks. Initial threat on pull is very good, with a very steady threat curve. Cooldowns are not as good as Guardians/Warriors or Shadows/Sins. There is 1 stacking buff and 1 proc to watch for as a Trooper/Powertech to monitor. Incoming damage profile is very stable as well.

Of the three, I personally would recommend a Trooper/Powertech as a first tank for someone to go as. The toolkit is pretty easy to master and have quite a bit of passive incoming damage mitigation.

Guardians/Warriors and Shadows/Sins are both very capable tanks, but comparing the three there is a slight bit higher skill needed for the other two for a first time person wanting to tank.

But, as I always say, play what you want. If you want to be a stealthy, sneaky stabby stab tank...go Shadow/Sin. If you want to be a single saber wielding force of power, play a Warrior/Guardian. If you want to be a walking slab of durasteel and bombard your enemy with fire or ion pulses, go Powertech/Trooper. But remember to have fun.

Errm, while the advice above would be true pre-2.0, I think the general consensus has shifted now.

Guardian/Juggernaut doesn't really have threat issues anymore, and are considered to be the easiest tank now, as their abilities are basically "fire off these three things, then do what you like for the next several cooldowns, repeat".

Shadows/Assassins have a lot of tools, but are considered to have a flaw in the tanking (spikyness). Granted you won't really encounter this until Nightmare Mode content for the most part--and it might be fixed by then anyway.

Vanguard/Powertech technically has the best mitigation, but it's really close to the Guardian/Juggernaut. I hear the ability cycle is really boring, but they are pretty straightforward. They have a lot of tools, and I think one of the largest complaints is a lack of another defensive cooldown compared to the other tanks.

All of them are fun; I love my guardian, and I have a shadow and powertech, but I haven't tanked any operations on them yet.