Petition to make the ewok not buy able by cc

Greenify

Why does it matter to you if people leave the game? It's just a game. It will eventually die. What're you gonna do, hold a wake when it does? We will all find other things to do with our leisure time and money.

you sound quite depressing. is all of your life spent waiting to die, or is that only reflected in your forum posts? I hope there is something else that gives you a bit of passion and something to look forward to. it's a good video that i linked. i think it would be worth your time watch, if you would otherwise be spending that time in a game that you don't care about or forums where you post about topics you don't care about. surely a video you don't care about should be equally entertaining? to enjoy a game, and gain some sort of sense of achievement from a game, is not unusual. if the game died because the dev's quit caring or turned it into swtor the home shopping network, that would make me sad.

To have fun, a distraction from life, to enjoy time with like minded friends.....the same reason I would go fishing.

In order for your above theory to thwart my contention one would first have to narrowly pound me into one of the square pegs listed.

I would buy a Treek because it would be fun to have one? I'm not buying one however because I do not see the fun, beyond a novelty, of having one. Has nothing to do with social standing or achievement felt through a video game. Therefore, having to slog through quests or faction grinds to get one would not be "fun" to me and would certainly not provide any sense of "achievement".

....and again, if someone is playing this game in order to achieve social status or feel a sense of pride and accomplishment I would contend that they should re-evaluate their priorities.

well, 'fun' is pretty vague and probably not what the study was going for. i think they wanted something tangible, maybe more specific, like 'enjoy time with like-minded friends,' which would slide quite neatly into the 'social' peg. social isn't 'social standing' like buying a bmw; he's referring to a get-together with friends type atmosphere. while the cartel market may not directly hurt the social aspect of the game, it certainly doesn't help it.

it sounds like you're not planning on buying a treek because it's not fun. i would expect that is common for most cartel market purchases. for the devs to focus on cartel market purchases that could harm the 'achievement' and 'immersion' aspect of the game, while those who like the 'social' aspect could largely ignore it, is going to hurt the game. they will lose a certain number of players due to the fact their decisions make the game less 'fun' (for those who like achievements, but are seeing their achievements turned into cash shop items), and they won't make much income from social players who ignore the market.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the devs to focus on cartel market purchases that could harm the 'achievement' and 'immersion' aspect of the game, while those who like the 'social' aspect could largely ignore it, is going to hurt the game. they will lose a certain number of players due to the fact their decisions make the game less 'fun' (for those who like achievements, but are seeing their achievements turned into cash shop items), and they won't make much income from social players who ignore the market.

You might have a case had Treek originally been released to only be available via the in game method of acquisition. However, that was not the case, nor is it the case with anything that has been presented in the cartel market up to this point. Either everything in the CM is exclusive to the CM or was released in conjunction with an in game acquisition method. Therefore the sense of achievement for said items is moot. Players have their choice in how to acquire said items with a multiple acquisition method. As such, it is actually more empowering towards achievement because then the power is in the player's hands on how to obtain said object of desire. Right now, history and the market trend would seem to make your theory wrong because not only has the F2P model worked, but has proven to be as (if not more profitable in several circumstances) than one that does not have a cash shop.

I may be wrong, but your posts give the impression that is sounds to me you are just one of those players who dislike games that have a cash shop. The truth of the matter is that no matter what a developer decides to do in their game, it is going to disappoint a certain part of the player base. Whether that part of the playerbase leaves or not is entirely up to them, and their personal feelings on whether the game is still more fun to play than the total sum of the parts that they don't like. The game failed as a pure subscription based model. Had EA decided to do what other publishers have done in the past, we wouldn't be here B&Ming about the CM because the game would have been shut down. Like it or not, the CM has given SWTOR a new lease on life. It is the largest source of income for the game along with the people who still subscribe. The F2P business model for any game must have a focus on the cash shop because that is how the game gets the income in which to continue to exist. Get over it. Don't like it? Well, maybe everyone should have stayed subscribed to the game and we wouldn't have had the need to take such a drastic change in business model to keep it from getting the axe.

As Blackardin said, and the PA video implies. If one needs to have their life and achievements validated by what they do in a video game, then that's a problem with that individual, and quite frankly not my concern, nor should it be the concern of the Developers and Publishers. Their concern should be ensuring their product is profitable. Thus far, the addition of the CM and their continuing work on trying to improve the game and add more playable content has done that. Fortunately for players such as myself and Blackardin, we have no need to be fawned over in a virtual world. Our sense of achievement comes from being able to play a game that we enjoy, and one that offers us the power to acquire certain items however we choose to acquire them. Just like my school bus anology several pages ago - I for one, am glad I now have the choice to reach my destination - I can take the "old school" way of slogging through the mud and rain for 5 miles, because you know, sometimes walking in the rain and mud can be fun. For those other times I don't feel like doing so, I can hop on the bus and get where I want to go quicker and easier because that will then allow me to have more time to enjoy another part of the journey.

you sound quite depressing. is all of your life spent waiting to die

TOR ... a person's life ... not quite the same thing. People run into trouble when they start ascribing too much importance to trivial things like a computer game, a fancy car, a fancy house or other frippery.

or is that only reflected in your forum posts? I hope there is something else that gives you a bit of passion and something to look forward to. it's a good video that i linked. i think it would be worth your time watch, if you would otherwise be spending that time in a game that you don't care about or forums where you post about topics you don't care about. surely a video you don't care about should be equally entertaining? to enjoy a game, and gain some sort of sense of achievement from a game, is not unusual. if the game died because the dev's quit caring or turned it into swtor the home shopping network, that would make me sad.

Obviously I care enough about TOR to subscribe to it. But it means no more to me than a Monopoly set does. If I lose the Monopoly set I either buy a new one or play a different game. If TOR dies or I get tired of it, I'll play a different game. I used to play DDO. I got tired of it. I stopped playing.

well, 'fun' is pretty vague and probably not what the study was going for. i think they wanted something tangible, maybe more specific, like 'enjoy time with like-minded friends,' which would slide quite neatly into the 'social' peg. social isn't 'social standing' like buying a bmw; he's referring to a get-together with friends type atmosphere. while the cartel market may not directly hurt the social aspect of the game, it certainly doesn't help it.

"Fun" is the one and only reason to play a game. Yes, everyone has fun in different ways, but no one engages in any leisure activity if they are not having fun doing it, on some level and for one reason or another, even if it's for someone else's enjoyment (e.g., playing a game you don't particularly like with your nephew because it makes him happy).

it sounds like you're not planning on buying a treek because it's not fun. i would expect that is common for most cartel market purchases. for the devs to focus on cartel market purchases that could harm the 'achievement' and 'immersion' aspect of the game, while those who like the 'social' aspect could largely ignore it, is going to hurt the game. they will lose a certain number of players due to the fact their decisions make the game less 'fun' (for those who like achievements, but are seeing their achievements turned into cash shop items), and they won't make much income from social players who ignore the market.

This was not a reply to something I wrote, but I'll reply anyway. I am not planning on buying Treek because it's not worth 2100 CC to me (I have legacy 17, so 40 is a long way off). If I had legacy 40, I would probably spend 1 mil for it. We could say that Treek's "fun value" does not equal 2100 CC for me. But it does for others.