Is Mortar Volley working correctly?

So the last patch was not very big, something very interesting was in patch notes for us commando's :

Trooper

General

Mortar Volley now knocks enemies down in their current position, making it easier to keep targets inside the blast radius.

I have been running wz's since patch and I have not seen this new thing actually work. Has anyone else seen this happen where they get knocked down. Maybe i'm doing something wrong or maybe it does not work in pvp? It has always worked that way in pve against weaker enemies so I dont know what it would be talking about if not for pvp???

Mortar volley's knockdown only works on weak and standard computer controlled enemies. So it has no effect on players.

basically this, only it doesn't also knock down standard, only weak.

i think the patch note is referring to the tendency for mobs to be caught by the knock down after they've walked through the blast completely or before they've actually walked into it, making it so that they receive the knockdown effect, but none of the damage from mortar volley.

i've experienced it a few times, but always just attributed it to lag

Edited by oaceen

Yeah basically it used to be a knockback, which was fine when the ability had an 8m radius. Back when they nerfed it to a 5m radius it became all too common to see it knock mobs out of the blast radius entirely if they were right on the edge of it. A lot of complaints back when they first made that change. Kinda funny that they finally decided to acknowledge it's a problem. Would rather they just gave us back the 8m radius though if I'm honest >.>

basically this, only it doesn't also knock down standard, only weak.

i think the patch note is referring to the tendency for mobs to be caught by the knock down after they've walked through the blast completely or before they've actually walked into it, making it so that they receive the knockdown effect, but none of the damage from mortar volley.

i've experienced it a few times, but always just attributed it to lag

It DOES knockdown standard mobs. See the description here. Or ingame.

The patch note is referring to the fact that before this patch, Mortar Volley would not only "knockdown" the mobs, it also had a "knockback" affect. So when mobs were a little spread out, the initial tick of Mortar Volley would knock them down and BACK effectively removing them from the radius of Mortar Volley. NOW it just knocks them down where they stand, effectively keeping them inside the radius of Mortar Volley.

This wasn't a problem when Mortar Volley had a larger radius. When the radius was reduced to 5 meters in patch 1.2 (back in April 2012), the knockback effect became a problem. That has now been fixed (slightly over a year later :)).

EDIT: ArchangelLBC beat me to it. That'll teach me to not leave a reply open for too long. :)

Edited by ZeroPlus

It DOES knockdown standard mobs. See the description here. Or ingame.
i am basing my statement by what happens in game, but now that i think of it, perhaps i'm incorrect in my understanding of what a standard mob is.

Would rather they just gave us back the 8m radius though if I'm honest >.>

yeah i never liked, understood, or felt 'to bring its range in line with other Trooper Area of Effect abilities' was sufficient.

you mean hail of bolts, our one other targeted AOE? that vanguards don't have?

Edited by oaceen

i am basing my statement by what happens in game, but now that i think of it, perhaps i'm incorrect in my understanding of what a standard mob is.

I think you are. There are 5 strengths of enemies. There are Weak (no icon and says "weak" on target), Standard (No indications), Strong (Silver Icon and says "Strong" on target), Elite (Gold Icon and says "Elite" on target), and Champion (Silver and Gold Icon says "Champion / Boss" on target). The weak ones are the ones that typically die in 1 or 2 hits verses their stronger cousins which usually take a few solid abilities to end them.

Weak and Standard enemies are the ones that receive the knockdown.