So what did BW get RIGHT? Hard to tell.

FatherJeffrey

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not the OP. I hope you realize this. The OP wasn't very eloquent in what he said but he does have points that can't be easily refuted by us or ignored by the developers.

I understand you're not the OP. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Target of target is good. The UI needs a lot of work. Basically everything else he said was opinion, and thus can't be refuted. You can't refute opinion; if I say I like pizza, this is true, and nothing you can say will change this. And yes, developers are quite right to ignore most of what the OP wrote.

Ahh, what the hell. I'll do it line by line. ;)

- Terrible controls: Clunky, unresponsive and heavy.

Opinion. My opinion differs; I find the controls responsive. But that doesn't matter as it's just MY opinion. My opinion isn't any more important than the OP's. This feedback is arguably unhelpful to the devs.

- Everything is instanced to an extreme.

Objectively untrue. Most of the landmasses are seamless, and most interiors don't require zoning. The game could obviously be a LOT more instanced; whether this would be good or not could of course be debated. The fact remains, the game isn't instanced to an extreme. The OP could replace this with a factual statement about the OP's OPINION, e.g. "I don't like instancing". This feedback is completely useless to the devs, as it's a sloppy combination of untruth and opinion.

- Terrible graphics: Lack of options too.

The first part is pure opinion and not remotely helpful. The second part is nearly constructive but no details were given, so if a dev were to read this, they wouldn't have any advice to take away.

- No mod support: Recount etc is a must for end game content. However seeing PvE in this game is faceroll I guess it's not needed.

The first sentence is a fact, and it's one the devs are clearly aware of; pointing out which features are in the game is not constructive feedback. The second and third sentences are pure opinion, presented with neither evidence nor reasoning. No dev in their right mind is going to implement features based on someone saying "it's essential"; you need to explain how it's essential, and back that up. Once again, this feedback is unhelpful.

Is the pattern clear yet? Ah what the hells, I'll keep going.

- Companions are silly, why not make the character more powerful instead.

This is opinion again, and also reveals that the OP suffers from a profound misunderstanding about how the narrative in this game works.

- NO DR in PvP: ROFL!

I haven't yet PvPed in this game I admit; I've been pretty caught up in the PvE goodness so far. I can't say if there are diminishing returns for CC abilities in PvP, which is I assume what the OP was writing about. Now, this is very nearly useful feedback! Well done OP. However, to bridge the gap between what we have and constructive feedback, you'd need to provide at least a cursory explanation of why you think DR is necessary.

- No PvP brackets: 50's just dominate all.

I'm unsure if this is true. This could use some explanation, like almost everything the OP wrote. This is however constructive feedback; a problem was demonstrated and explained, however briefly.

Ah screw it. Anyhow, I hope the above makes clear my feelings about the OP. On the one hand, yes, I absolutely agree that this game is flawed and could use improvement. And I agree with two points the OP made, with a few more that I'm unsure about. Most of what the OP wrote, though, is useless as feedback. It's nothing but venting.

Here's an example of constructive feedback:

"The space combat could use a very brief introduction, as players don't seem to all know what options exist there. E.g. you can steer with the mouse, and the ship will follow the targeting reticle... but you can also, at the same time, steer with the keyboard, moving the ship around the targeting reticle. This isn't explained anywhere in game that I can see, and I only found out about it by accident."

Or yet another example of constructive feedback:

"Orange items seem to have base stats that don't "level up with you", apart from the mods we can put in them. I can't find any evidence of this in the UI though; it's not explicitly listed among the base stats of any orange item. This is confusing and misleading. If orange items do have innate stats, those should be clearly listed, so players know which orange items are better for them."

Here's an example of utterly useless feedback:

"In LotRO, there are class quests to learn special advanced skills. That was a great idea, and LotRO came out years ago. Every game made since LotRO came out should have this feature."

The above is useless because it doesn't explain why this feature would benefit SWTOR. A dev reading the above would have nothing constructive to take away - which makes the above much like the OP.

Edited by Aloro

seems to me to work EXACTLY like any MMO, but im not a hardcore pvp'er

class quests and planet story lines, as well as some other quests. meh. lots of the world isnt.

looks great IMO. better than rift imo, especially considering the framerate comparisons between rift and swtor.

- No mod support: Recount etc is a must for end game content. However seeing PvE in this game is faceroll I guess it's not needed.

mods can be good, but mostly theyre just a nuisance and i have great faith that once the lingering problems with the current ui are fixed, you wont need them.

personal preference, not game's fault.

bugged atm, i think, wait for patch.

they dont. sure theyre harder to kill, but 'dominate all'? purrleaze.

- No combat tab: Big ***?

coming soon.

- Broken loot system: Anyone can need on anything, even if they can't use it.

expecting a brand new game to have the sort of features a 5 year old or even 9 month old game has is ridiculous. rift didnt add this until a few months after release. also, dont play with loot ninjas.

- Can't pick another advanced tree without leveling.

this is good. that way you know who will want what loot, and it makes (relatively) sure that people know how to play their class. also, i doubt many people would change even if they had the chance.

- No LFG system - Spamming chat while also being in an instanced area.

see the comment 2 comments above. also, be social. youre not going to die because you type 'dps LFG <insert instance name here>' in /1.

- Terrible UI: Can't hide not used icon slots.

again, brand new game, and UI changes are inc.

- No target of target

agree there.

- Targeting is **** and placement of targets icon is even worse.

targeting is good imo. i assume target icon is the target portrait? it fits nice and snug imo, but also if youre looking at your targets portrait while playing, urdoinitwrong.

- Terrible in game map: Cant zoom or do anything

map is ok, imo.

- No UI scaling, actually pretty much no UI options at all.

again, changes are coming.

- Terrible AH UI: Need I say more?

i find what i need in 5 seconds.

- 50's already with faceroll endgame raids.

wants perfectly balanced end game on day 1. gottabekidding.jpeg

expecting a brand new game to have the sort of features a 5 year old or even 9 month old game has is ridiculous. rift didnt add this until a few months after release. also, dont play with loot ninjas.

lol, you're the kind of player that keeps games from being good. you're okay with being spoon fed horse manure, apparently. expecting a game to have such fundamental features is not ridiculous, SWTOR had 300 million dollars for development, and 7 years of MMO evolution(see: WoW) to learn from. there isn't an excuse. basically what your argument states, is that, players will need to wait X amount of years before they get features they're used to or features the game sorely needs, and that this is justified, because it took another game X amount of years to add them. well, if tor wants to successfully compete in the long run it needs to do better than compete with WoW from 2004.

Edited by dajinn-

I'm having fun. It is the most fun I've had in an MMO yet. I'm grouping up a bunch, and getting to know the people on my server. I think it's way too early to talk about level 50's because most people are just getting started. However, the OP does have a valid point when it comes to the PVE content.

I think that the PVE content is too easy. You had people that were level 50 before the game actually released. I've only died a couple of times and I'm level 19. That was because I tried to take on Heroic content solo. If you ask me the Heroic content should be how the whole game is tuned.

I love the fact that there is no mod support. I've modded other games and patch days were a "CF." There was always the risk of malicious software as well. As far as target of target, I would suggest that the op check the keybind menu under game preferences. There is a complete targeting system in your keybinds menu. There is a target of target keybind (default keybind is alt-p). The fact that you haven't checked your keybind menu leaves your post a little suspect.

I find it interesting that people aren't giving this game a chance. Of course it has problems but it has been launched recently. I'm sure BioWare will fix and develop the game. Personally I like it a lot.

If they haven't fixed these problems already they sure as hell aren't going to fix it now.

VERY VERY VERY basic stuff like DR in PvP, looting rules on items you can't use etc. Seriously basic as it get's yet they still failed.

They should stick with SP games, which this pretty much is anyway.

Holy crap, you're still here?

Before you go,

Can I has your stuffs?

*EDIT* Also! Please forward the design and implementation of your MMO when you get a moment. I wanna see how good yours is compared to these guys. If it's awesome, I take back everything I said about you.

Edited by KinkyKel

First of all this game isn't a MMO, it's a SP game with some MP aspects and heavy instancing, on par with Guild Wars if not worse.

- No target of target

Most if not all of these things are TOTALLY unacceptable, especially for a 2012 release.

Makes me wonder *** the beta was for? So many elementary things are broken, it's mind blowing.

Then don't play.

Holy crap, you're still here?

Before you go,

Can I has your stuffs?

*EDIT* Also! Please forward the design and implementation of your MMO when you get a moment. I wanna see how good yours is compared to these guys. If it's awesome, I take back everything I said about you.

HAHAH, give me 130 million like BW had and I'll make a x100 better game and I promise I'll not re-use any of the WoW spell names in the game like BW did.

HAHAH, give me 130 million like BW had and I'll make a x100 better game and I promise I'll not re-use any of the WoW spell names in the game like BW did.

You should have no trouble convincing the people who have that kind of money to invest that you can give them a good return on their investment, then, right?

Why don't you start a blog that details your progress, from drawing up the presentations you'll make to investors, to your business plans, to hiring staff and finding facilities, and so on, and let us all know how it goes, OK?

What BioWare Got Right:

- Great Controls: Everything responds fluidly and great for me.

- Instancing: Neat. The world is instanced off, very rarely have I been stuck standing around for the mobs I need or the objectives I need.

- Decent Graphics: The graphics are neat, exactly what was promised. Nothing overly hardcore like certain games (Age of Conan) that went for the ultrarealistic approach and wound up failing hardcore. Indeed, the graphics are decent looking on their highest settings and lowest settings, allowing people to access the game without having to shell out hundreds of dollars to upgrade their PC. Some more options could be used, but meh.

- No Mod Support: Mod's are generally silly and recount is generally just used for egostroking. That said, Mod support is something they are working for.

- Companins: Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. They can craft for you, fill in extra spots on group missions or even help you solo difficult content.

- Loot System: Hey, neat. The game doesn't have a silly loot system where people cant roll need just because the item isn't "intended" for their class. Hey, if no one else needs the item and my companion can use it, why shouldn't I be able to snag that heavy armor?

- You can't flip-flop around advanced classes or trees. You can respec, but yeah.

- The LFG System. Not perfect, but it works its purpose. Dont mind asking in chat, personally.

- The UI. Personally I like the UI, it is non-intrusive for me and allows me to enjoy the game without being overly clunky.

- No target of target: I'm not so lazy as to need a special button to pick my targets for me.

- Targeting is fine.

- In Game Map: Pretty much tells me what I need.

First of all this game isn't a MMO, it's a SP game with some MP aspects and heavy instancing, on par with Guild Wars if not worse.

- No target of target

Most if not all of these things are TOTALLY unacceptable, especially for a 2012 release.

Makes me wonder *** the beta was for? So many elementary things are broken, it's mind blowing.

Back on topic...

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. But for me they're not as big a deal. I still like SWTOR but I hope some of what you mention gets improved or smoothed out. I like my little droid buddy because he says nice things and I can pick dialog options that make him happy. Tamagotchi for SWTOR or something like that...

- No target of target

This same guy will write the exact same s*** in the same exact manner 1 year from now

Mate I'm guessing you couldn't organise a fart in a curry eating contest let alone design, make, implement, market and sell an MMO. It'd be better if you took you Ritalin and calmed down.