Assassins v.s Sorcerers

JQJkiller

I can never figure out who is better assassin or sorcerer :rak_02: I would like a class more DPS some people say sorc some people say assassin? Can u help me out ?:w_cool:

I don't really know the answer to your question, because I don't have a toon high enough level to really tell which one may or may not be better (altoholic here...)

HOWEVER, I can say that I've tried both... and the playstyle is so completely different for each one, honestly play whichever one is more fun to you. Even if the other is the "better" DPS class... if you don't have fun playing it, it won't be fun.

Sorry for another "just play which one you like" post, but it's kinda true.

As always, the "better" DPS class is the one that you are good at. All DPS classes are viable for end-game content. You should try out both to level 15 at least (won't take long), and decide which playing style fits you better.

Antiri - Dalborra

I have a level 55 sorc. and assassin, which I PvP and PvE on To put it in perspective I will lost the pros of each class:

Sorc:

- Ranged.

- Multiple kiting tools (CCs, slows, roots, push).

- Good burst in the middle tree.

- Can side heal, primary bubble.

- Good utilities for both PvP and PvE.

- Reasonable damage in raids.

Assassins:

- Arguably highest burst damage currently in middle tree.

- Over abundance of CC.

- Can switch to tank stance on the fly for additional survivability.

- High survivability.

As other posters mentioned, for PvP assassins are for the most part better, but sorc are also good. PvE wise for solo play assassin is better, for end game raids sorc is better.

^ Switching to tank stance on the fly is a no-go. You essentially need to be out of combat to switch stances (or god forbid you just stand there helpless for 20s while you change in combat).

Warriors can do this easily though.

Edited by JP_Legatus

• 3 weeks later...
I can never figure out who is better assassin or sorcerer :rak_02: I would like a class more DPS some people say sorc some people say assassin? Can u help me out ?:w_cool:

There is no real answer to this question. It comes down to the skill of a player. (Skill > equipment > class)

Textbook answer

An assassin who knows how to stun at the correct time and uses quickly does their rotations in a correct manner can pick off a sorcerer.

There definitely are some healers that will give assassins a run for their money. Both are good classes if played right and both can take each other down.

Edited by Hatebane

There is no real answer to this question. It comes down to the skill of a player. (Skill > equipment > class)

Textbook answer

The Textbook answer is a myth. Sorcs are a joke as dps in pvp compared to a sin regardless of skill or equipment. In pve, sorcs are slightly better dps and in this case equipment does come into play. However sins can tank and sorcs can't but they can heal.

Anyone that can tie their shoes in the morning can play either class competently.

Edited by MotorCityMan

I play as a assassin using the madness tree which alot of people have said that tree sucks. But i dont care i sorta like it and am more used to the tank role than dps me personally. I am having fun using it at least. Edited by Lightingdebt
word spelled wrong

Not sure about PvE, but as far as PvP is concerned it is really a personal preference question. Just pick the playstyle which you consider to be more fun, both advanced classes are perfectly viable.

The Sorceror is a ranged DPS/healer - you basically want to be at the back of your team with Jugs/Maras in the front taking most of the damage and you yourself freecasting from behind. The burst is not as insane as Assasin burst, but your sustained damage is quite good.

As for the healing spec, it isn't as viable as Operative healers, but is still very good.

The Assasin is a stealth melee/tank character. The class name says it all - you will depend on stealth a lot and move behind enemy lines to wreck their healers and fragile players. Apart from the insane burst you also have numerous CC at your disposal and can use these to protect nodes or kill players in 1v1 situations.

Sin tanks are not really viable in PvP atm, Jugs are better in nearly all tanking aspects.

• 2 weeks later...
Im a level 27 sorcerer and I've been an assassin before and to y surprise the sorcerer is a big help when you or your companions are in the red when it comes to health and at some point you can cast a bubble to keep your self safe for a little while. for warzones its not as good as assassins but you might be good with big stats on your armor and what not.

Not sure about PvE, but as far as PvP is concerned it is really a personal preference question. Just pick the playstyle which you consider to be more fun, both advanced classes are perfectly viable.

The Sorceror is a ranged DPS/healer - you basically want to be at the back of your team with Jugs/Maras in the front taking most of the damage and you yourself freecasting from behind. The burst is not as insane as Assasin burst, but your sustained damage is quite good.

As for the healing spec, it isn't as viable as Operative healers, but is still very good.

The Assasin is a stealth melee/tank character. The class name says it all - you will depend on stealth a lot and move behind enemy lines to wreck their healers and fragile players. Apart from the insane burst you also have numerous CC at your disposal and can use these to protect nodes or kill players in 1v1 situations.

Sin tanks are not really viable in PvP atm, Jugs are better in nearly all tanking aspects.

Sin tanks are just fine in PvP I've found. Especially with a healer...we actually mitigate now! lol.

If anyone is actually still looking for an answer, it's this.

If you want to tank? Go assassin. Dps for PvE? Sorc. Heal? Sorc. Dps for PvP? Depends...I love my sorc, I can 1v1 on him easily, rain death down in the pvp field, hit 700-900k damage in mix unaugmented PvE 69s, no PvP gear, and most kills.

PvP it's really play what you enjoy between the two (imho). I just can't stand Sin dps resource management...so different than the tank.

I almost never group with level 55 Assassin anymore for dailies. And I'm pretty sure that reason is over 60 percent of the population on my server is Dps class. People play Assassins for few weeks and start over with class that has more value to group and/or guild.

Anyways

Edited by Kesica