2.1 - How You Should FIX This MESS

Anzel

This patch hasn't been well received to say the least. Not by folks here on the forums or by folks in the game. I know how fashionable it is to argue and be contrary and pretend to be an expert on semantics or programming or legal matters but I can assure you that this patch is a total and utter mess.

What is truly disappointing to me personally is that I was really looking forward to all of these features. These were the QOL features that I would've pointed to when talking to friends or folks who have left the game. Instead, we ended up with a total mess.

ARMOR DYES

This is by far the worst abomination since playing the space portion of SWTOR. Almost (not quite) as bad as when they announced Cartel Packs. This is a simple system folks. This is one of those things that people were clamoring for well before beta.

Instead of adding a simple color picker or an extra tab on the Cartel Market you choose to over design and over complicate the most trivial of features. We would have all gladly paid our Cartel Coins. We would have all gladly paid extra. You would have made your money. I have no idea what you were thinking on this one.

SOLUTION: Scrap your current scavenger hunt system and add a section to the kiosk (or another kiosk) to generate dyes. I will gladly pay my 30 or 40 cartel coins for a single color or 80 cartel coins for a dual color. Simple problem, simple solution. You still make your money.

COLLECTIONS

I was astonished when I first read this. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Except they forgot to tell you that you have to collect every single piece of armor in a set to unlock. Some of the unlocks are a bit pricey. The interface is HORRENDOUS.

SOLUTION: Add a "Filter" dropdown. Add an "Expand All" button. Add a "Collapse All" button. And for the love of all that is HOLY... add Revan's mask by itself along with some of the other more desirable pieces. Also, would it have killed you to run an update script on the database so that people already had their collections unlocked when they logged in? Come on guys.

DESIGNER/KIOSK

I think the prices for this are a bit too high. I think that class changes are a bit too high. That's really it. Overall I think you did a great job with this. I really don't mind paying extra for stuff like this. I don't mind paying Cartel Coins, even as a subscriber. I just think the prices should be tuned down a bit. I think more people would use it if you did.

SOLUTION: Consider giving subscriber's a bigger discount here. This is something that most of us felt should be offered as part of our subscription fee. Similar to resetting skill points. It should be included in the subscription.

This patch is the perfect example of what happens when:

A.) You don't listen to your customers

B.) You don't test your code. Many of the known bugs and regressions could have been caught on PTS.

C.) Your greed makes you lose site of the big picture. People are willing to pay extra but this is crazy.

Edited by Anzel

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.

Please allow cyborgs to have the "human" hair/dye/eye color.

Again, I think this was an oversight. We'll never know LOL because none of this was tested on PTS. I know that they test internally and that they have other test servers besides PTS but the issues we've seen today show how valuable UAT really is.

This patch hasn't been well received to say the least. Not by folks here on the forums or by folks in the game. I know how fashionable it is to argue and be contrary and pretend to be an expert on semantics or programming or legal matters but I can assure you that this patch is a total and utter mess.

What is truly disappointing to me personally is that I was really looking forward to all of these features. These were the QOL features that I would've pointed to when talking to friends or folks who have left the game. Instead, we ended up with a total mess.

ARMOR DYES

This is by far the worst abomination since playing the space portion of SWTOR. Almost (not quite) as bad as when they announced Cartel Packs. This is a simple system folks. This is one of those things that people were clamoring for well before beta.

Instead of adding a simple color picker or an extra tab on the Cartel Market you choose to over design and over complicate the most trivial of features. We would have all gladly paid our Cartel Coins. We would have all gladly paid extra. You would have made your money. I have no idea what you were thinking on this one.

SOLUTION: Scrap your current scavenger hunt system and add a section to the kiosk (or another kiosk) to generate dyes. I will gladly pay my 30 or 40 cartel coins for a single color or 80 cartel coins for a dual color. Simple problem, simple solution. You still make your money.

COLLECTIONS

I was astonished when I first read this. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Except they forgot to tell you that you have to collect every single piece of armor in a set to unlock. Some of the unlocks are a bit pricey. The interface is HORRENDOUS.

SOLUTION: Add a "Filter" dropdown. Add an "Expand All" button. Add a "Collapse All" button. And for the love of all that is HOLY... add Revan's mask by itself along with some of the other more desirable pieces. Also, would it have killed you to run an update script on the database so that people already had their collections unlocked when they logged in? Come on guys.

DESIGNER/KIOSK

I think the prices for this are a bit too high. I think that class changes are a bit too high. That's really it. Overall I think you did a great job with this. I really don't mind paying extra for stuff like this. I don't mind paying Cartel Coins, even as a subscriber. I just think the prices should be tuned down a bit. I think more people would use it if you did.

SOLUTION: Consider giving subscriber's a bigger discount here. This is something that most of us felt should be offered as part of our subscription fee. Similar to resetting skill points. It should be included in the subscription.

B.) You don't test your code. Many of the known bugs and regressions could have been caught on PTS.

C.) Your greed makes you lose site of the big picture. People are willing to pay extra but this is crazy.

I think everyone agrees Dyes should be able to be purchased by whatever color people want. I even think they would get more sales that way.

Im going to add that a 1000 CC for a legacy and player name change is crazy.....

Get rid of the dyes go to A kiosk system and I might consider spending money on changing my gear.

I felt like the renaming fees were a bit too high as well. Again, this is something that I would gladly pay for. I may even pay MORE in the long term if the price was lower. But at 1000 CC... Yeah... I'll probably NEVER use that LOL.

Just curious what led to this conclusion? What old bugs were introduced in this patch? Or what bugs are introduced in this patch as this statement doesnt fit with the rest of your post. This statement more fits the prior bolster stuff :)

Just curious what led to this conclusion? What old bugs were introduced in this patch? Or what bugs are introduced in this patch as this statement doesnt fit with the rest of your post. This statement more fits the prior bolster stuff :)

I'm referring to a few things actually

1.) The CE dyes weren't supposed to be tradeable. See dev tracker.

2.) Some secondary and some primary dyes just don't apply

3.) You have to actually equip every single item in order for it to show in your collections. See dev tracker

4.) Some sets just flat out don't color. Example: Ancient Vindicator's Chest Guard has a really limited are that actually gets colored. It doesn't look right unless you only use a secondary color.

These are all things that we could have found in testing. This patch wasn't tested and judging by the feedback on the forums and in game I can only guess as to why.

I don't see them ever adding Revan's mask in the collections tab. People burn through so much cash to get that thing, in both hoping for the BoE and for the reputation tokens to buy the BoP.

As for the other items you posted, I couldn't agree more. There should be a color wheel option when you go to customize your armor that charges based on the popularity of the color. 20 CC for an off color, 80 CC for black. Anyone that doesn't have unify colors will spend more than those of us who don't, but it would even out because everyone and their grandmother's dead cat goes for black on their items. An F2P player would provide a steady stream of income to BW/EA, while subscribers and others that can unify colors would spend cash across our alt alts as well. This would be a win-win for the devs.

The current dye system needs to be scrapped and re-imagined to something simpler, along the lines of what you proposed.

I don't see them ever adding Revan's mask in the collections tab. People burn through so much cash to get that thing, in both hoping for the BoE and for the reputation tokens to buy the BoP.

As for the other items you posted, I couldn't agree more. There should be a color wheel option when you go to customize your armor that charges based on the popularity of the color. 20 CC for an off color, 80 CC for black. Anyone that doesn't have unify colors will spend more than those of us who don't, but it would even out because everyone and their grandmother's dead cat goes for black on their items. An F2P player would provide a steady stream of income to BW/EA, while subscribers and others that can unify colors would spend cash across our alt alts as well. This would be a win-win for the devs.

The current dye system needs to be scrapped and re-imagined to something simpler, along the lines of what you proposed.

It would be really cool to preview your armor they way you do your race/image changes. If it were 20-80 CC per dye then I would be doing that constantly for all of my characters and companions, etc. They really really missed the mark on this one. It's not even a question of cost, the design is just really really over complicated and takes away from the game instead of adding to it.

It would be really cool to preview your armor they way you do your race/image changes. If it were 20-80 CC per dye then I would be doing that constantly for all of my characters and companions, etc. They really really missed the mark on this one. It's not even a question of cost, the design is just really really over complicated and takes away from the game instead of adding to it.

I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I think this patch was pushed more by EA's bean counters than it was by the devs. This is usually the culprit when the end-user population is so utterly bypassed during development.

I was really looking forward to this patch, paying cartel coins aside overall I was happy to see it coming. Their delivery system is terrible from my perspective but of course it's perfect for them. They force you to buy random dye packs and hope you get what you're looking for (Btw, do we even know what all the colors are?)

The Eradicators mask...well..I don't know if it's just me but that doesn't really look all that much alike to the one seen in the deceived trailer, frankly I don't even think it works with the Eradicator outfit, the mask has designs and strange textures that make it almost artistic while the suit itself seems to be more functional and foreboding. Maybe it will dye well but really, I have no intention to buy dozens of these dye packs hoping to get a black one if there isn't even a true black in the packs.

The Kiosk itself isn't that bad, well beyond the fact that it's entirely through cartel coins. At least the prices on small things (eye color, skin color) are not that bad. It's a real shame that Bioware/EA decided to make even the new hairstyles and other new features cost additional cartel coins (Like this entire patch won't make them enough money as it is.)

I'm at a loss, I enjoy the game but if 2.1 is a possible reflection of future content I'm not sure if it's worth sticking around for. I don't mind spending money here and there for things I want, but I want to get what I pay for. Not some chance at it. I'm not into gambling as I've seen countless people in real life and in MMO's through away a lot. I'm just disappointed and I guess I shouldn't have expected or hoped for something with a little better delivery system.

The suggestions to fix it are all well and good but I don't seem them happening, this method is a sure fire way to make more money, I guess the question they need to ask themselves, one they probably have already is will they make more money with patches coming out like this, or will they lose more subscribers and players in general with it like this?

For some people this is enough (As many threads have said already), for me it makes me want to take another look at games like Rift. (Who for it's faults has Dyes, Appearance slots (wardrobes), housing and other things some people want. And all for nothing beyond what you make with in game credits.)

They should make more things we can purchase by credits. Its not cool when things are cartel coins only. Players rich in credits and short on $, like myself, aren't able to make other players buy things for them! Look. I am not gonna pay real cash for recostumization but i'd gladly ask someone with cartel coins to spend them for me in exchange of my credits.

Bioware should sell customization TICKETS instead of charging per option.

Also toys should be bound to legacy.

ARMOR DYES

COLLECTIONS

DESIGNER/KIOSK

My reply to each of your points:

1) Armor Dyes: More or less agree. The current system just feels pretty clunky. I managed to find colors I like for each of my characters that I did want to change but a lot of combos I'd like to do I just can't. I'm happy they did patch in a dye system, but they did seem to make it overly complex.

Having said that, at least they did make it artifice to craft the non-cartel pack dye kits. Artifice IMO did need a bit more "love".

2) Collections: Haven't really looked into the system and only glanced at that part of the patch notes, so won't comment.

3) Designer kisok: I only changed some tattoos and scars on a couple characters so far, but the price didn't seem too high to me. I'd have to check some of the other options to really comment though. Otherwise agree, that they did impliment well overall. Mind you, I'd not exactly complain if they gave subscribers a larger discount for appearance and race changes.

Im just going to show this again in this post to try and explain why the dye system is flawed. My current gear coloring is nice and I like it. In the pic I used different color options based on price to show that most color combos available just look terrible, and the really expensive ones look just like what you have already.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa329/drewdown88/lolol_zps23e3544f.jpg

This was one of those things so requested and so waited upon that Bioware should have had the sense to use this to generate some good will from their playerbase instead of trying to make a quick buck.

Instead they opted for the most gimmicky and CC heavy version of it possible.

I was really looking forward to this patch, paying cartel coins aside overall I was happy to see it coming. Their delivery system is terrible from my perspective but of course it's perfect for them. They force you to buy random dye packs and hope you get what you're looking for (Btw, do we even know what all the colors are?)

The Eradicators mask...well..I don't know if it's just me but that doesn't really look all that much alike to the one seen in the deceived trailer, frankly I don't even think it works with the Eradicator outfit, the mask has designs and strange textures that make it almost artistic while the suit itself seems to be more functional and foreboding. Maybe it will dye well but really, I have no intention to buy dozens of these dye packs hoping to get a black one if there isn't even a true black in the packs.

The Kiosk itself isn't that bad, well beyond the fact that it's entirely through cartel coins. At least the prices on small things (eye color, skin color) are not that bad. It's a real shame that Bioware/EA decided to make even the new hairstyles and other new features cost additional cartel coins (Like this entire patch won't make them enough money as it is.)

I'm at a loss, I enjoy the game but if 2.1 is a possible reflection of future content I'm not sure if it's worth sticking around for. I don't mind spending money here and there for things I want, but I want to get what I pay for. Not some chance at it. I'm not into gambling as I've seen countless people in real life and in MMO's through away a lot. I'm just disappointed and I guess I shouldn't have expected or hoped for something with a little better delivery system.

The suggestions to fix it are all well and good but I don't seem them happening, this method is a sure fire way to make more money, I guess the question they need to ask themselves, one they probably have already is will they make more money with patches coming out like this, or will they lose more subscribers and players in general with it like this?

For some people this is enough (As many threads have said already), for me it makes me want to take another look at games like Rift. (Who for it's faults has Dyes, Appearance slots (wardrobes), housing and other things some people want. And all for nothing beyond what you make with in game credits.)

The gambling comes from the Asian MMO market. Perfect World Entertainment brought this to the mainstream in their flagship title and the other games that it publishes (Champions online, Star Trek Online, War of the Immortals, etc). Unfortunately, too many people have bought into this, and with its inclusion into TOR, I'm afraid that it's going to become a new mainstay in the microtransaction arena. I know I've purchased WAY too many blockade packs, and while I'm okay with that, I'm not okay doing that with something as trivial as coloring armor. The reward for paying with CC coins needs to be both virtually tangible (see pack items), and have an intrinsic value. Having to purchase and sift through dozens of worthless items (terrible color combinations) to find the one valuable item is not a way to engender customer support of a product. Giving the customer a real choice, and then charging for that choice offers a far more robust value to the client. A game like TOR where alts are a fact of life, this choice will be repeated over and over again.

As the OP mentioned, there are several opportunities that were missed with this patch, and we all know it's not too late to make the necessary changes required to create further value and monitization.

I agree, none of the dye colors are worth the price, either Cartel Coins off the market or credits off the auction house.

But hey people will buy it and BioWare knows that...like the players who'll buy Cathar, pay for a Cathar race change and then wear a helm so no one knows he's a Cathar lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.