2.1 and why some things should be reviewed for change

Ghyren

I wanted to speak of primarily 2 things and give some thought to both sides of why they are being implemented in such a way and why should they be different.

1) New Species Cathar. Awesome! A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... it was revealed that the Cathar would be a new playable race in the Expansion (along with Makeb, new skills, new level cap, yadda yadda yadda) Ok so we UNDERSTAND there will be delay and I grant patience to our development team and the FLIPPIN CRAZY schedules that have to work around to get things implemented into the game.

Cathar are now playable - sweet. BW and/or EA/Disney think that it should be something purchasable SOLEY through the Cartel Market. Reasoning? They want more $ for the new content. Do they deserve to be paid for new content - sure. It is how the F2P model survives and it is how micro transactions have secured some longevity to the game we play, Ok so their argument for doing it this way - utilize the money generating cartel market for this new content...

The flip side contains more to be reasoned unless a CSM can tell us otherwise. Here is my BELIEF and let's see how many support this thought process as well. Before F2P a games income relies SOLEY on its subscriber base. ALL NEW CONTENT goes to the SUBSCRIBER...

Ok now we are in a F2P and micro transaction environment. The subscriber should still have access to ALL NEW CONTENT. Now we have come adapted to new armor sets and weapon looks to be in the cartel market and we do have access to them from our monthly grant of cartel coins (I already believe the monthly grant should be more). All those armor sets can be accessed by subscribers through in game credits via the GTN. I do not have to buy cartel coins to get what I want from the packs, someone will always be selling and I can run in game content to earn credits to purchase cartel market items... AWESOME - we can be ok with that.

Now looking at other MMOs, have they had to pay past subscription to get their new species. I don't think so, please enlighten me if this is a case.

I BELIEVE CATHAR SHOULD BE AUTO UNLOCKED FOR SUBSCRIBERS. If I start a new character, I should have access to that race to start with, and NOT pay more to do so. It is why some of us waited so long to reroll another character. So then we get the announcement that we will be able to change current species... a little overkill, but ok - that is so nice to be able to do that. and how can you? Through the cartel coins... Totally justifiable along with the cartel coin cost to change your name (although subscribers should be granted a one off because of the server mergers and they had to pick names fast to login)

Why should a new species potentially cost me a month of cartel coin grants... when it really did appear we would get that with 2.0? What would have happened if you up front told people - HEY preorder the expansion and then later you can use cartel coins to unlock Makeb, and then the Palace Op, and then your higher level of crew skills, and then... and then... You would have had a PR nightmare, subscriptions would have plummented. So fast forward to today - you release this new content that was initially expected with 2.0 launch and to be included in the additional money paid for the expansion... it is the same thing is it not? Instead of front loading this info and getting an initial reaction and lose sales, it comes past 2.0, alot of hype has died down, and the reaction is not going to be "as bad" - but doesn't the matter of what you did with Cathar still speak of you guys as a company? What will you do next, release a new class and say sorry you have to potential pay us more money to get it?

Now onto customization, this is a newer area as well, and the same argument for cathar apply here other than this was not a promise of the expansion. You SHOULD allow subscribers to change their appearances to anything they can already generate from character creation. With this release of customization, some unlocks could be applied through cartel coins and some should be player made, and some new ones should be given to subscribers.

Look at what you did with dyes. That is a good model to follow. SUBS got to add some to their crafters, some will be on vendors, and some through the cartel market. Wow, this is the fairest release of content I have seen - AND you honored the Colelctor's Edition Vendor.

So, bottom line, what do I think should happen?

1) Cathar should be a startable species free for any subscriber

2) Customizations that were already in game pre 2.1 should be free to subscribers

3) Pay attention to the impact of the Dye mods in this relase and how well it is received or not received.

The QUICKEST WAY to fix #1 - you should release with this patch a grant of whatever it cost to unlock Cathar for your account - 600 cartel coins or whatever it is? to EACH CURRENT SUBSCRIBER.

#2 - meh too much coding involved maybe time better spent in other areas of the game. If it is simple as editing a logic statement that a certain customization is unlocked for this type of account. test it and do it.

#3 - hopefully you are already watching this - it is the first time you have implemented this approach in new content release.

//Ghryen Kai

The Bastion Server

<Invalid Target>

Its called we're not valued Subscribers anymore. I don't care how much the dev's say they care about their subs they don't.

Just think as our Sub as a 15$ spend towards a Cartel Market item. We are no longer officially the Major only looked upon as a minor income to SWTOR. Considering it from a Business stand point, they KNOW we're going to pay 15$ a month irregardless due to idiotic caps and restrictions, thats where they get you first. Secondly they will start ushering in P2W items such as Space Gear that was declared "there will be no P2W items" yet the go against that. 3rdly, enjoying your SWTOR experience with your 15$ a month? Sure you get to play with no restrictions but anything and EVERYTHING future content will be solely based off a Cartel Market purchase. Honestly Bioware should just stop acting like they care and come out that they only care about the money. They should just stop allowing us to Sub through the page and add it as a feature on the Cartel Market, at least people would buy a few months rather than just getting 15$ worth every month to find out that they have to purchase additional CC to enjoy the content.

I agree that *simple* customization options that were already available to subscribers should be unlockable with credits. What I mean by simple is hair styles and tattoos. Body types, species change, full face changes, I can understand paying real money for, I'm used to that. If you give me some new cool stuff I couldn't do before, I have more incentive to actually pay for them.

I'm the kind of person that is usually happy with how I create my characters, so I don't intend on making many changes unless something new comes along that I love.

I agree that *simple* customization options that were already available to subscribers should be unlockable with credits. What I mean by simple is hair styles and tattoos. Body types, species change, full face changes, I can understand paying real money for, I'm used to that. If you give me some new cool stuff I couldn't do before, I have more incentive to actually pay for them.

I'm the kind of person that is usually happy with how I create my characters, so I don't intend on making many changes unless something new comes along that I love.

Same here - I take my time in character creation. I did enjoy the custom feature in SWG, but never overhauled my toon, it was one little thing at a time.

Its called we're not valued Subscribers anymore. I don't care how much the dev's say they care about their subs they don't.

Just think as our Sub as a 15$ spend towards a Cartel Market item. We are no longer officially the Major only looked upon as a minor income to SWTOR. Considering it from a Business stand point, they KNOW we're going to pay 15$ a month irregardless due to idiotic caps and restrictions, thats where they get you first. Secondly they will start ushering in P2W items such as Space Gear that was declared "there will be no P2W items" yet the go against that. 3rdly, enjoying your SWTOR experience with your 15$ a month? Sure you get to play with no restrictions but anything and EVERYTHING future content will be solely based off a Cartel Market purchase. Honestly Bioware should just stop acting like they care and come out that they only care about the money. They should just stop allowing us to Sub through the page and add it as a feature on the Cartel Market, at least people would buy a few months rather than just getting 15$ worth every month to find out that they have to purchase additional CC to enjoy the content.

Well, I think we are valued as subscribers, they try to steeply discount things that are relevant. You can't see the F2P/Cartel System as a slap in the SUBs face. The game would be on the outs if that was not implemented. Financially they needed those systems in order that we could go on. So in the light you have to view this new world as two entities co existing SUBS and NON SUBS. It is now BW job to make the best for both worlds, one does not exist without the other and they will need GOOD SOLID feedback on how to do that. Not whine sessions. Give them answers, not more problems.

After reading about and then playing with the customization last night, I am thoroughly disappointed with it's execution. The coins for every little change approach kills me, not because I can't afford it but as is was pointed out earlier in the thread, I already had all the content I was looking at available to me when I subbed. I do see the logic in new styles and new colors needing unlock as packages, but then having to pay every time I want to change on top of having to unlock the new options. That's just brutal.

Between this mechanic and the sometimes half-hour worth of start, stop, go back make a change I go through to create a toon's look, I'm thinking the only thing I might ever use this feature for is hair color. And even that will not ever amount to more than my monthly grant of coins. I don't intend to give any more cash to EA over this feature.

That seems to be the only way to get them to listen anymore, NOT spending extra money for the features that we, or at least I, see as things that should be included to subscribers as part of subscription.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.