Razer Orbweaver

amaresch

Anyone use this? Dulfy has a great breakdown, but am interested on reading the pro's and con's from others as well. I currently use a Naga/Nostromo combo and am generally happy with it. They are both getting on in years though, so someday I will have to look for replacements. The Nostromo is a little more unforgiving to those with overly large and small hands. The Orbweaver addresses that and has extra keys also, but how well does it do so? Like the Nostromo, there is a lot of hate on other review sites like Amazon. Any words on how the SWTOR community finds this?

I have thought about buying the nostromo a couple times, even had my hand on it a few times in store, but so far I never got myself convinced that I really could use the 8-way switch for effective moving... mostly cause I am pretty reluctant to substitute any other key for the spacebar for jumping.

If I ever get myself comitted, it would be the nostromo though, as I prefer logitech over razor for personal reasons.

Anyone use this? Dulfy has a great breakdown, but am interested on reading the pro's and con's from others as well. I currently use a Naga/Nostromo combo and am generally happy with it. They are both getting on in years though, so someday I will have to look for replacements. The Nostromo is a little more unforgiving to those with overly large and small hands. The Orbweaver addresses that and has extra keys also, but how well does it do so? Like the Nostromo, there is a lot of hate on other review sites like Amazon. Any words on how the SWTOR community finds this?

I'm using it since some weeks and I don't have any complains at all. I think it's great as soon as your hand remembers the position of all buttons.

That one looks very similar tot he nostromo. It's missing the weird *** extra button below thumbstick though and it's also mechanical.

Can't tell you much about that but the Nostromo is pretty awesome. I still use my keyboard for FPS games but the nostromo is a lot more comfortable for MMO's.

It takes some time getting used to though.

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded to the Orbweaver from the Nostromo after wearing out 2 Nostromos across 4 MMO's and 4 years of hardcore play. Quick tip: DON'T USE THE THUMBSTICK/D-PAD FOR MOVEMENT! You will cause hand fatigue so incredily fast that way. Use the thumb pad for your modifiers (Shift, CTRL, Alt) and for alternate key map for your menu buttons. Use the main keypad just like WASD.

Now, I love the mechanical keys on the Orbweaver, and I don't miss the wheel on the Nostromo at all (I used it for ordering companions to attack and passive). The extra keys on the Orbweaver are AWESOME. I found after using the Nostromo for years, I needed felt like I needed more key options. Helps to have an alternate key map for space missions, too.

Don't bother with macros, not worth the hassle (I've tried in other games).

So far, Orbweaver > Nostromo

I just upgraded to the Orbweaver from the Nostromo after wearing out 2 Nostromos across 4 MMO's and 4 years of hardcore play. Quick tip: DON'T USE THE THUMBSTICK/D-PAD FOR MOVEMENT! You will cause hand fatigue so incredily fast that way. Use the thumb pad for your modifiers (Shift, CTRL, Alt) and for alternate key map for your menu buttons. Use the main keypad just like WASD.

Now, I love the mechanical keys on the Orbweaver, and I don't miss the wheel on the Nostromo at all (I used it for ordering companions to attack and passive). The extra keys on the Orbweaver are AWESOME. I found after using the Nostromo for years, I needed felt like I needed more key options. Helps to have an alternate key map for space missions, too.

Don't bother with macros, not worth the hassle (I've tried in other games).

So far, Orbweaver > Nostromo

I moved on from the nostromo to the Orbweaver a few months ago and feel it was well worth it. the Orbweaver improved on all the issues I had with the nostromo (more keys, mechanical keys, better response, adjustable, etc).

But I will comment on the 2 negatives the post I quoted points out.

I have no issues what so ever using the D-pad for movement. After adjusting the orbweaver to fit my hand, I have never had any fatigue issues, and could not see using it set up any other way.

As far as macros go, The razer software take a little to get used to, but after that setting up macros and keybinds are easy and if you are not using them, you are not using the orbweaver to its full extent.

I don't know if this just happened with me but I havn't seen other people with this issue. They sent me two orbweavers and in both the sticky pad fell out after some usage. The sticky pad is the pad below the buttons on top of the curved thingie for your hand.

The glue can't hold the pad in place after a while and start to come off. Fixing it is easy as you just need to take the pad off and clean the old glue before putting on some stronger glue. Anyways, I thought I would mention it. That is the only big issue I have found with it so far.

I have owned my nostromo for probably 15 years now. Use to be owned by Belkin before Razor. I absolutely love it hands down. Took me about two months to get use to it, but after the learning curve ended it has become as natural as the mouse has to me. Try it, if you do not like it return it. On the nostromo there is a button below your thumb under the analog stick that works great as a spacebar, your thumb already rests on it anyways.

Absolutely love my Orbweaver and Naga Epic. Couldn't play without them now. I don't know how much of an advantage it has over someone who has become really good with a regular keyboard and mouse. It certainly gives you a lot more options and flexibility.

My only complaint I have is a random reoccurring issue with my Naga Epic. I've given up using it in wireless mode but even in wired mode it will sometimes for no apparent reason just stop working. Lights are still on but none of the buttons work and the cursor won't move. I have to unplug and plug back in the USB to get it working again. Everything is updated and am unfortunately using the Synapse software. I've read about similar problems(not exact) and it seems like the only answer is it is a dud. I've had it for almost a couple of years now so maybe I'll just get a new one. I tried out the Logitech G600 and couldn't stand it. It's a lot bigger in the hand than the naga and feels cheaper to me. After using it for a couple of days I went back to my Naga and it felt like this solid rock in my hand and the buttons actually easier to use despite what you would think by comparing the two side by side.

I still love Razer products though.

I have thought about buying the nostromo a couple times, even had my hand on it a few times in store, but so far I never got myself convinced that I really could use the 8-way switch for effective moving... mostly cause I am pretty reluctant to substitute any other key for the spacebar for jumping.

If I ever get myself comitted, it would be the nostromo though, as I prefer logitech over razor for personal reasons.

I've got the Nostromo and getting used to the 8 way key takes a little time but they also have a small knob that comes with it that you can use similarly to the one on the PSP but a bit bigger obviously. So you don't have to use the flat D pad you can use the stick. Still takes a little getting used to though.

I upgraded from the nostromo to the orb weaver. The orb weaver feels much nicer in its construction. The adjustable parts really make it fit your hand perfectly, The extra row helps me ease into playing other games like bf3. I miss the scroll wheel from teh nostromo but the orb weaver is still a great piece of tech that I hate playing without.

I do have gotten the Keypad and must say its AWESOME. One huge positive to it, is its form fitting to the hand for extreme comfort for long term play. One thing i must tell you before you buy one, is if you like to use control modifiers (shift, ctrl, and alt) this is because it is a MUST with any keypad out there due to the amount of keys. I know for myself that i use darn near every key on there with all 3 modifiers and i also have a Cyborg MMO mouse, which is where my next point comes in.

The Cyborg MMO must (http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm) is a GREAT buy; its up there with the price of the Orbweaver, but man is it a better buy then the Naga. This is due to button positioning and being able to grip you mouse without a worry of hitting that MASSIVE keypad on the side of your mouse. These two have been my MMO set up for about 2 years now and i will say its all so smooth that i could not go back to a keyboard and normal mouse for any game.

Edited by Soobydoo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.