GTN 2 Day Sales Limit

MaxPhoenixx

I'd like to see this increased to two weeks or more. Many of us who don't generate credits by trading do so by selling loot and after a while you can develop a pretty big inventory even if you cut prices drastically. 2 days simply isn't enough time to sell a lot of your equipment because not everything is a hot market item.

If any Dev's or Customer Service folks monitor this forum could you provide feedback on this suggestion?

If this should be posted in another discussion group please let me know.

Thanks,

Max

Two days is fine. Nobody wants people cluttering up the GTN with absurd prices on items and have them sit there for weeks. If you need more then 2 days listing time... you are probably over-pricing items. It's rare that I ever list an item more then once with the current 2 day limit.

Roll an alt..get more cargo space.

The normal log in cycle for this and almost any MMO is a week. Most active players that don't have some kind of RL issue keeping them away temporarily (hardware, out of town trip, finals etc etc) log in a minimum of once per week. Operation lock outs are set to reflect this. Two weeks is indeed way too long, but I do think allowing a maximum listing time equal to the normal cycle of a week makes a lot of sense. On the other hand the clutter issue is a real one, so my suggestion is allow an initial listing of a week, anything that doesn't sell within one week could only be relisted for maximum two day intervals. Allow longer listing time, but only once per item. IMO this might strike the right balance between multiple considerations.

I would also like a bid auction.

Bid/buyout would be nice.

I don't think not having it has hampered me.. but it would be nice to have. But with it, comes no refund on your deposit.. which means they would un-nerf listing fees as well. I'd prefer they not un-nerf listing fees as it freezes low capital players out of the market.

I'd like to see the limit increased to 3 days max so you could do a friday-sunday listing to cover the weekend, but that's about it.

Playing the market is not a 'fire and forget' deal and if it's cluttered up with garbage that people just put up for sale and leave then it's really not doing anyone any good.

I don't think not having it has hampered me.. but it would be nice to have. But with it, comes no refund on your deposit.. which means they would un-nerf listing fees as well. I'd prefer they not un-nerf listing fees as it freezes low capital players out of the market.

A bid style auction doesnt have to remove deposti refund, there is no reason for a failed auction to not return the deposit because even on a bid auction you can have a max buyout and buy it now price.

A bid style auction doesnt have to remove deposti refund, there is no reason for a failed auction to not return the deposit because even on a bid auction you can have a max buyout and buy it now price.

It's done to discourage abuse. That's why WoW did it. It prevents absurd buyouts just to create a lot of headroom for bidding.

Two days is fine. Nobody wants people cluttering up the GTN with absurd prices on items and have them sit there for weeks. If you need more then 2 days listing time... you are probably over-pricing items. It's rare that I ever list an item more then once with the current 2 day limit.

Roll an alt..get more cargo space.

Actually I under sell many of my items or sell them at quoted prices on GTN. That's just it...I don't have time to "play the market." I work a full time job so I don't have the time to do that.

I may check the market on mats but as far as equipment goes I sell at or below the GTN price.

2 days just isn't long enough for enough players to shop when "all" you do is sell loot to generate credits. Perhaps 2 weeks is too long but at least a week, as was mentioned earlier, would be much better.

This, IMO, would give GTN shoppers a chance to "cycle through" the available player/inventory market. Then you can repost after that.

Edited by MaxPhoenixx

I'd like to see this increased to two weeks or more. Many of us who don't generate credits by trading do so by selling loot and after a while you can develop a pretty big inventory even if you cut prices drastically. 2 days simply isn't enough time to sell a lot of your equipment because not everything is a hot market item.

If any Dev's or Customer Service folks monitor this forum could you provide feedback on this suggestion?

Thanks,

Max

Nothing you post for over 2 days will sell. You will be so insanely undercut by then, they'll always wait out their timer. Mostly true for anything over 24 hours.

There is no good reason to put anything on GTN for over 24 hours. If you need more storage, buy more storage.

The benefit to the current system is the buyer gets their goods right away. They don't have to bid and wait.

In WoW, back when I was playing the market like a Capitalist lunatic, buyouts were by far the norm. You priced it to sell now, not to auction.

It's better not to have bidding. Just sell your stuff.

Nothing you post for over 2 days will sell. You will be so insanely undercut by then, they'll always wait out their timer. Mostly true for anything over 24 hours.

There is no good reason to put anything on GTN for over 24 hours. If you need more storage, buy more storage.

I don't agree. Again...you, like many others, are viewing things from the viewpoint of playing the market.

I've reposted things at the same price once they didn't sell and had them sell quickly. The "player" market is a totally different animal from the "trader" market...which is why I'm suggesting this.

Perhaps the difference in time should be dictated by number of items per sale...? For example 1 item gets a week and anyting over 1 item gets 2 days. That way the market doesn't get skewed for the traders and us "store front" folks get to make a profit as well.

Edited by MaxPhoenixx

I agree with DarthTHC.

One thing a 2 week list would do though is crash the server databases all the freaking time because the GTN would bloom from 1000 pages of stuff for sale to 20000. We have a enough issues with them keeping the hamsters fed and alive on their server wheels as it is.

Do people NOT remember the GTN performance issues we had last year until they tweaked some things? And it's the query searches through a larger pile of stuff that probably gets the hamsters all worked up.

Edited by Andryah

It's done to discourage abuse. That's why WoW did it. It prevents absurd buyouts just to create a lot of headroom for bidding.

I understand where your coming from as i saw it on wow aswell, but its part an parcel of the economics. If something has a million credit buyout and has bids running in the 3000 mark and it lasts for 5 days, at the end of the 5 days its only going to sell for the highest bid. that said my posts in here would make a hell of alot more sense of where im coming from if you look at jendors topic http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=626598

Edited by Shingara

I don't agree. Again...you, like many others, are viewing things from the viewpoint of playing the market.

I've reposted things at the same price once they didn't sell and had them sell quickly. The "player" market is a totally different animal from the "trader" market...which is why I'm suggesting this.

Perhaps the difference in time should be dictated by number of items per sale...? For example 1 item gets a week and anyting over 1 item gets 2 days. That way the market doesn't get skewed for the traders and us "store front" folks get to make a profit as well.

I don't play the market. I post stuff to sell. Typically if my stuff doesn't sell in 12 hours, it's not going to sell during that posting. A handful of times a week, stuff sells near the 24 hour mark. That's across hundreds of postings.

I just can't imagine the benefit of seeing a crapton of stuff that's overpriced by a factor of 10 or more languishing on the GTN for 2 weeks. That's storage; that's not selling.

I don't play the market. I post stuff to sell. Typically if my stuff doesn't sell in 12 hours, it's not going to sell during that posting. A handful of times a week, stuff sells near the 24 hour mark. That's across hundreds of postings.

I just can't imagine the benefit of seeing a crapton of stuff that's overpriced by a factor of 10 or more languishing on the GTN for 2 weeks. That's storage; that's not selling.

I agree, after everyone's feedback including yours, that 2 weeks would be too long of a time. However, I think 1 week would be reasonable.

Your thoughts...?

Edited by MaxPhoenixx

I agree with DarthTHC.

One thing a 2 week list would do though is crash the server databases all the freaking time because the GTN would bloom from 1000 pages of stuff for sale to 20000. We have a enough issues with them keeping the hamsters fed and alive on their server wheels as it is.

Do people NOT remember the GTN performance issues we had last year until they tweaked some things? And it's the query searches through a larger pile of stuff that probably gets the hamsters all worked up.

I'd donate my hamsters, but they bite.

On topic: Really, 2 days isn't unreasonable. That really is par for the course in the MMO world (FFXI, for example, keeps items on auction for 3 RL days).

I agree, after everyone's feedback including yours, that 2 weeks would be too long of a time. However, I think 1 week would be reasonable.

Your thoughts...?

Still no benefit. But I guess I'd like to hear some real examples. How many people have had items purchased after they have been posted longer than 24 hours? 36?

I imagine the developers have stats on this. I wonder if they can tell us of the percentage of postings that actually sell, how many are sold in hours 36 to 48? If that's a reasonably high number, heck, even 10%, I say expand it by a day or two then keep watching it and expanding it, as long as stuff keeps selling in the final 12 hours of the longest posting.

Thanks,

Max

Back in Beta it used to be 5 days... The whole 2 days is lame and annoying, I'm constantly having to take stuff from the mail and relist it again... And no my prices are not to high the stuff sells but sometimes it takes 3-4 days before it does... I wish Bioware would at least go back to the 5 day limit

Edited by Monoth

Taking the view of say a newer player who comes in to sell something they won as a drop that doesn't fit their class... I can understand why they might post at a pretty high price and be willing to wait days for that best price. It's fun to get a big payday.

This wouldn't really help serious crafters any, but for the casuals it's pretty decent.

If you want some tangible examples I make vibroknives on my server and stock about x4 of each optimal type from lvl 9 all the way to 54. I have to relist those constantly, always at the same price for the last year or so. I sell them regularly and reproduce what sells. It's a chore to constantly list them on the GTN every few hours, they always come off the GTN at different times. Profit margin is not great, but I sell enough to make it worth the effort. I don't care if people undercut me because if they do they are not making cash, usually do not have the same prefix (worse version of my knife), and wont/don't want to be able to reproduce them like I can.

Was doing the same for power crystals but 2.0 made it so using those mats to make augment kits are a better use of my time, until they bottom out anyways, and they will.

I would like a 1 week turnaround for those listings, I would use the 1-2 day for other things.

Auction Market beast a GTN you can post for a week and its fine no clutter!!! because people buy as they see fit in time of length or short time frame. 75% if not higher then that of MMO's use an auction market because its smoother to use for sellers and buyers...... less having to constantly undercut people 24/7 and credits aren't always changing from day to day! instead if you don't worry about price to mucfh just buyout and the buyer bids on numbers he likes not just waits and waits.. and waits. and then less and less things get put up. Just take a look at biochem that has the most drastic mood swings for gear and mats. Whoever dreamed up the GTN when most MMO's use an AH should be shot =P.

If I were to suggest changes...

1) Allow up to 7 days but more expensive deposits after 2 days. Make a single day listing free of fee.

2) Allow a bid option with an additional fee. That fee would not be refundable. Auction is only 24 hours, listed in separate panel in the GTN.

3) Allow a Shift-right click into search box to search items.

4) Have the price suggested at a price lower than current lowest listed price on GTN.

Finally I would suggest they make it easier to search for certain specific Cartel Market consumables. There are too many items right now to surf....should be a second drop down to refine it more.

Just my two cents.

Edited by LordArtemis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.