23/0/23 The Bald Sniper

baldilocks

Been messing around with all the different sniper possibilities for pvp in 2.0(2/21/23, 40/3/3, 30/16/0, 7/36/3, 4/5/37) and i kind of stumbled on this surprisingly decent spec a couple weeks ago. On paper it doesnt seem like it would be optimal, missing the all important 3 points in engineering, and for a few situations, it isn't. What it lacks in sheer power for a specific ability like cull and series of shots, you gain by having or buffing the other. It has a really good flow, and has an answer for just about any opponent, where other specs have glaring weaknesses.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsbbdRkRZZGbbkrMRoM.3

It's an alternative to full lethality, more than a substitution for full marksman. Marksman is still going to have better target switching and energy regen, but you will play this one more like a full lethality sniper using a ghetto marks rotation in place of the proc'd takedown.

CG > CD > Cull > Lazed Snipe > Snipe > FT > Ambush > FT

CG > CD > Cull > SoS > FT

inserting (Takedown > FT), Shatter shot and Rifle Shots where needed and/or possible. Energy management is way way better than lethailty due to Sniper Nest, but not as good as marksman obviously. Lethal Purpose cant make up for Sniper Volley and Muzzle Fluting.

Im not sayings it optimal. But give it a try, its a damn fun build, and very viable. My highest dmg games are with this build. a 1.6mil total and a 1850 dps game.

Edited by baldilocks

Hah Followthrough, hasted SoS, and Cull :jawa_angel:. lol.

Why did you call it bald sniper? >_< I'm trying to look at the talents and can't see any reference to "bald" :confused:

EDIT: nvm it's your name / sig lol..

Edited by paowee

Did you know that 45% accuracy debuff from diversion and 20% accuracy debuff from flash powder talent (flashbang) from lethality tree stack? And they are both UNIVERSAL accuracy debuffs. Which means you can basically make somebody miss melee, ranged, force, tech attacks. Even stuns can miss with this thing.

Against ranged attacks while you are in cover you basically have 5%+ 20% + 45% + 20% = 90% accuracy debuff for 8 seconds!

Against the rest of the stuff that's 70% accuracy debuff, not bad. It's basicaly another defensive CD for you, every minute, more powerful than Saber ward and Deflection.

Did you know that 45% accuracy debuff from diversion and 20% accuracy debuff from flash powder talent (flashbang) from lethality tree stack? And they are both UNIVERSAL accuracy debuffs. Which means you can basically make somebody miss melee, ranged, force, tech attacks. Even stuns can miss with this thing.

Against ranged attacks while you are in cover you basically have 5%+ 20% + 45% + 20% = 90% accuracy debuff for 8 seconds!

Against the rest of the stuff that's 70% accuracy debuff, not bad. It's basicaly another defensive CD for you, every minute, more powerful than Saber ward and Deflection.

Wow did not know that! This should be interesting..... :rak_04:

Edited by paowee

I tried this out last night just a tiny bit. It's very interesting, to say the least. In fact, my cunning actually drops below 2500 in this spec (I'm rather unusual in my belief/infatuation with accuracy). Keep in mind I'm a tried and true marksman. I'm running full MM about 95% of the time with occasional dalliances into lethality.

Yet my damage output from the 3 test warzones I did wasn't the dropoff I thought it'd be. I was surprised at how often I literally FORGOT to use cull. I had to put it on a lesser utilized key because I still had followthrough access (usually when I switch to full leth, I put cull on the FT key). I was more able to do my MM rotation then I expected I would be.

I did run into energy management issues when I was able to DPS for a while, but I was doing admittedly more keyboard watching then screen watching as I adjusted keybinds. I was probably overusing the grenade, and definitely overusing corrosive dart. Stuff I won't do tonight.

The one thing I do miss is the mobility/CC from MM. Not just the seek cover, but using this build makes leg shot much less useful then in full MM. Not only is it back to 15 sec CD, but you've got no 3 second slow after it.

Edited by islander

I tried this out last night just a tiny bit. It's very interesting, to say the least. In fact, my cunning actually drops below 2500 in this spec (I'm rather unusual in my belief/infatuation with accuracy). Keep in mind I'm a tried and true marksman. I'm running full MM about 95% of the time with occasional dalliances into lethality.

Yet my damage output from the 3 test warzones I did wasn't the dropoff I thought it'd be. I was surprised at how often I literally FORGOT to use cull. I had to put it on a lesser utilized key because I still had followthrough access (usually when I switch to full leth, I put cull on the FT key). I was more able to do my MM rotation then I expected I would be.

I did run into energy management issues when I was able to DPS for a while, but I was doing admittedly more keyboard watching then screen watching as I adjusted keybinds. I was probably overusing the grenade, and definitely overusing corrosive dart. Stuff I won't do tonight.

The one thing I do miss is the mobility/CC from MM. Not just the seek cover, but using this build makes leg shot much less useful then in full MM. Not only is it back to 15 sec CD, but you've got no 3 second slow after it.

People look at their keyboards? Have you tried using "shift" key combinations? I never run out of keybinds once I started using shift. Once I got muscle memory, no matter what spec I play I never have an issue filling all abilities in with keys.

Example: E is CG, shift E is Frag makes it easy for that double toss

People look at their keyboards? Have you tried using "shift" key combinations? I never run out of keybinds once I started using shift. Once I got muscle memory, no matter what spec I play I never have an issue filling all abilities in with keys.

Example: E is CG, shift E is Frag makes it easy for that double toss

Muscle (and just plain mental) memory is specifically the issue I was referring to. Remembering OK frag grenade isn't here - it's here - and making sure I push the correct button.

I never look at my keyboard in my normal spec of full 40 point MM. I know exactly where everything is.

This is actually why I'll never be able to switch specs in a warzone, I'm old - I just can't switch keybinds at the drop of a hat and perform well. Going full leth is easier for me because cull essentially takes the place of followthrough on my keybinds. Corrosive overrides frag as the primary grenade, and if I fail to throw a couple of frags it's not a tragedy.

Whereas in this spec I bind cull to 'X', which is where my once very 45 seconds sniper volley is. Thus, why I was forgetting to hit it those first few warzones.

Edited by islander

I given it a try, and it is quite intresting. I took flash powder instead of slip away, and it does put up good numbers, and it kills. Of course, less good vs people who cleanse. Apart from some slight problem with setting up FT to a new keybind, it flows rather well.

thanks for posting this im totally going to give this a try when i log on tonight. Keep posting new specs to try out, I rember the days of 100k respecs. I played a tank/dps class and spent over 1mil a week on respecs. Now that they are free i love seeing people come up with new hybrid specs! ill let you know how it works for me

• 3 weeks later...

There hasn't been much talk about this lately. I play a 'slinger and came up with the same build a couple weeks ago, saw that you came up with it first so credit to you. I'll just call it the "Bald 'Slinger." I mostly pvp and don't feel I have fully tested the build in warzones yet, haven't had any good wz's where I just get to sit back and shoot 'em up the entire round. Anyways, I have mixed feelings about the build and just thought I would throw in my 2 cents about it.

Energy management is pretty good with the build, Cool Head or w/e the Imp equivalent is takes care of any deficiencies. I love that when I run into those healers that are consummate cleansers that I can just switch to SS/MM abilities and not be completely shut down; you aren't just the one-trick-pony from DF. It is much more bursty than the pure DF/Leth builds, you can put some quick burst on low health targets without wasting the setup time of DF.

I do miss some of the abilities from the top tier talents, mostly from SS/MM tree, there really isn't much in the DF/Leth tree that is amazing above wounding shots (wounding shots-->quickdraw was nice). I haven't been able to post the numbers I did with full SS/MM or DF/Leth but like I said I haven't been able to test it all that long. The rotation is kinda funky, I usually start with DF stuff and use SS abilites between Wounding Shots CD (I haven't figured everything out yet, can't seem to find a place to squeeze Aimed Shot in). I had a tough time competing with a skilled MM sniper in a 1v1, he beat me twice, but in retrospect I didn't play him all that smart, though if you are of equal skill a pure SS/MM will beat you every time (I think).

Those are my thoughts for now, I would like to see some more discussion and other people's ideas about it though. Maybe if you have had some more time to test this out some of your thoughts of overall viability.

Edited by zackmac

My biggest concern with the build is giving up Gear Head in the Eng Tree. 9% to you cunning is really a lot. Depending on your main stat, it could be anywhere from 250 - 270 cunning. That's in neighborhood of 7 - 8 additional augments to put it into perspective.

That's a lot of power & crit you need to make up. just my humble opinion.

You only need one point in the followthrough reset skill and you can lose the two points in cull crit chance to pick up the 9% cunning. Build plays better that way.

I found this out too, haven't been on to post really for the past month, but I did drop the cull crit and put on point in FT reset and it was a lot better. Im a firm believer in having ridiculously high main stat lol, so the original spec hurt a little lol. 9% cunning is nice.

In pvp its nice not being limited to just cull because of those pesky cleansers. Haven't tried it in pve, but I suppose I'll give it a whirl this Sunday and see how it handles. Might flow well working off of culls cd (9sec?) just use rifle attacks to get Ft in between.

agreed, putting the 3 points in engineering for the cunning is useful. Thanks for the sugestion. Makes it looks like this.

22/3/21 The Balding Sniper

I have been trying a variant that you might like as well, it doesnt get ft or hasted sos. but it gets 6% cunning and lingering toxins.

18/2/26 Lingering Nest

or this other one, where you get 1 pt in lethal takedown, still enough to proc your takedown most of the time, 9 ticks of cull (with the white counting?) at 15% means its still probably going to happen. energy management is a bit rough with this last one though.

12/3/31 Lethal ambush

with both of these you use your point in marksman for a snipe/snipe/ambush rotation every 2nd or 3rd cull when optimal. but in reality i end up saving for a sage or someone who cleanses too much.

Edited by baldilocks

• 2 weeks later...

Had a play around with this spec, its actually a nice little spec if unconventional and can dump out some decent DPS. I would say as was withing about 100 DPS of my usual Hybrid spec playing this.

I typically play is as similar to a lethality sniper and throw in the followthrough ability after snipes and sos.

I use almost the same spec and have mastered it. It's unreal, I drop the grenade dot bomb on them and let it tick away for internal damage (which is hardest to defend against) and rail them with cull/series/followthrough. I use ambush when others are on cool down. I never run out of energy as the ticks from dot crits restore 2 energy and being in cover gives 1, I clean house on WZ's. PUG groups I pull out 800K easily, good rated groups or decent PUG groups with healers I can dish out 1.5M.

It's a wicked spec to burn down the dps/tanks with dots then pound healers quickly with cull/series/followthrough etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.