Hybrid tanking through gearing not skill points

NebulaPaladin

Hey there, i have a shadow tank (Arahael) using the kinetic tree up to Slow Time, but i go heavy on Accuracy then Crit and Power, i even have a cartel crit crystal in the saberstaff, and i use a mix of Resolve and Force Wielder, for extra damage. I think of this as 'hybrid tanking' but through gear rather than skill points, and i find it very enjoyable and viable especially solo questing, even to the point of using a Focus when Tharan is around now and again. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or similar experiences, and i am particuarly interested in how this might work out in elder game content as i have just turned level 50. Thank you and best wishes

During the Sengoku era in Japan, a daimyo named Takeda Shingen (1521–1573) is said to have become almost invincible in all battles without relying on guns, because he studied The Art of War.[2] The book even gave him the inspiration for his famous battle standard "Fūrinkazan" (Wind, Forest, Fire and Mountain), meaning fast as the wind, silent as a forest, ferocious as fire and immovable as a mountain.

Edited by NebulaPaladin
adding quote

It works for questing because Shadow tanks have remarkable damage for a tank spec. Combining the impressive damage you would gain from DPS gearing with the substantial survivability increases you get from the tank spec, it creates a nice high functioning hybrid functionality. Btw, I wouldn't recommend switching out your Shield for a Focus: your Force regen is contingent upon Def/Shield so getting rid of your Shield is going to hurt both your mitigation and Force regen at the benefit of a bit more damage.

As to how it would work in the elder game, for any PvE group content, it's not going to work. Tanks *have* to be as survivable as possible especially on trash packs and ops boss fights. Shadow tanks have an *incredibly* steep incoming damage curve and the only thing that makes it tolerable is stacking mitigation like it's no tomorrow so that sudden bursts of unmitigated damage are less likely. We're no longer massively overgearing FPs, so we're forced to play effectively and intelligently once again. You're also not going to be a functional DPS because, while you'll have a nice hybrid functionality while solo, you're not going to do anywhere near the same amount of damage as a legit DPS because of all of those tanking talents you're forced to take (not to mention the fact that you would be a complete ******* to keep aggro from thanks to the 100% threat multiplier and high threat attacks).

Thank you Kitru this pretty much confirms what i thought would be the case, i was only experimenting with the Focus tbh and was rather doubtful as to it's use, and dig what you say about the regen, tbh i'm a field-tester as i'm still learning how the theory works, but i'll certainly keep it for pvp and Nadia can always have it as well as her's. With regards to Ops etc yeah i guess full tanking gear is really only fair to the other people you're meant to be keeping safe, i'd hate to get a group wiped through being incorrectly geared, and the shadow damage intake upon pulling multiple trash mobs can be considerable. Once again my thanks for the kind advice and best wishes Edited by NebulaPaladin
correct spelling and insert text

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.