SWTOR Crafting Application

Kraiserlich

So, I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a while now for a SWTOR related smart phone application. The application would be free with a current subscription or have a cartel market weekly/monthly pass. The functions of this application would be as follows:

• Send companions out on missions from smartphone devices
  • vendor or RE crafted items
  • learn new items from skill vendors
  • no transaction would be done if the character could not afford to do said action

So as you can see the application would simply serve as a tool to help level or craft while you weren't actually near a computer and able to play. I know many smartphone users frequently look at their phones to check emails, text messages, or just daily news and would also incorporate this task into their daily routine or would just like a small step up into leveling their skills or creating crafted items.

What does everyone else think about this idea? From a marketing standpoint? Usability?

People have thought of this before, the problem is that you are using a third party software ingame; which is I'm pretty sure is against TOS, even if it isn't a "hack" in the conventional sense.

Not really... SWTOR -does- have a smartphone app for its security key. The software would most likely be something similar, made by BW/EA and sold/downloaded through iTunes/Google app store. Neat idea though. Would be nice to do that to farm Mytags while I'm at work or something. Farming purple mats sucks. =P

Not really... SWTOR -does- have a smartphone app for its security key. The software would most likely be something similar, made by BW/EA and sold/downloaded through iTunes/Google app store. Neat idea though. Would be nice to do that to farm Mytags while I'm at work or something. Farming purple mats sucks. =P

Exactly. I'm no suggesting that someone else makes the application. I'm saying BioWare should.

I don't think it would be a bad idea, would we get a notification of when the companion returned as well? That way we could send them right back out? This would be nice for Bio, that way I could gather and gather and gather. Than Craft and craft and craft.

However, I think the price of the mission quests would have to go down or people would call it a credit sink. Because you aren't doing anything else to make credits while your doing remote crew skills. People will easily have their companions going 18 hours a day.

5 Companions x 45 Minutes (average) per mission x 2500 credits (average) = 225000 credits spent gathering in 18 hours.

While this could truly prove lucrative for your gatherer/crafters, it could be expensive for your gatherers. Especially if crits stay as low as they are on Thermal Regulators and similar products.

I think it's a a fine idea and it has been suggested before, even by BW at one of the conferences.

BUT its not really needed, what is needed is the ability to queue missions, then you could send your comps out on enough missions to keep the busy overnight.

However, the biggest thing that is needed IMO is to make crafting a legacy feature, so regardless of which character in my legacy I am logged in as I can send any crew from any character in my legacy out, avoiding the pita log out, switch toon and log in (which in fact only hurts the BW servers).

There would probably need to be some form of restriction on the number of missions you could queue up, but ultimately it WILL make mats cheaper and the products produced cheaper - so be careful what you wish for ;)

I would like to see them do something like Neverwinter did with their "gateway".

It's basically a website where you can send your minions ("crafting assets") on crafting tasks - they already have a very similar crafting system to SWTOR's, except that actual companions are your fighting buddies, while crafting assets are... well, your craftsmen - who'd have guessed?! :p

You can do other stuff through the Gateway as well, such as checking your mail, handling your Auctions, looking at your character sheet.

So people can log into it from their smartphone, or even their workplace's computer and do some crafting.

This idea is bad as it would allow more people to sell items driving costs all the way down so that no profits can be made.

I remote into my desktop at work and send all my companions to do missions and have almost made 100 million since early access of RotHC selling mats and missions. If I had an app, I could have made alot more.

This idea is bad as it would allow more people to sell items driving costs all the way down so that no profits can be made.

I remote into my desktop at work and send all my companions to do missions and have almost made 100 million since early access of RotHC selling mats and missions. If I had an app, I could have made alot more.

This idea is bad because it will help people compete against you, hindering your ability to generate additional wealth.

DOWN WITH COMPETITION! DOWN WITH A MORE EVEN PLAYING FIELD!

It's individuals like this ( and when I say individuals, you may sub in your favorite derogatory term ) that truely screw the economy, and other players in general.

It's individuals like this ( and when I say individuals, you may sub in your favorite derogatory term ) that truely screw the economy, and other players in general.

I have absolutely no problem with crafters making a lot of money.

But adding something like this so people who can't be at their computer (or remote in) all the time will even things out and is for the better.

I hope I am not alone in saying that I would gladly pay extra each month for this feature.

I have absolutely no problem with crafters making a lot of money.

But adding something like this so people who can't be at their computer (or remote in) all the time will even things out and is for the better.

I hope I am not alone in saying that I would gladly pay extra each month for this feature.

This should most definitely NOT be an extra cost feature. That would be, by definition pay to win. Either it's part of your sub, or not at all.

This should most definitely NOT be an extra cost feature. That would be, by definition pay to win. Either it's part of your sub, or not at all.

So paying IRL money to get more credits than you could get otherwise is pay to win? :eek:

Edited by DarthTHC

This would simply be an added benefit. Unlike adding a feature to the game this would most likely require them creating a whole new app to test (doubt they would bundle into the security code app but idk).

This would be the same as if they added GTN or something like that. If I had to pay $5 extra a month to be able to use an app like this. I would do it in a heart beat. Just like when WoW introduced an app that you had to may $5 extra a month to use.

Adding the crew skills are slightly different but they are only making it simpler to do something when you are away from your computer. YOu still have to do those things though. I don't know how in the world that would be considered Pay2Win

Id rahter just log in and out 50 times a day to run crew missions like I currently have to.

Riveting gameplay.

3+ minutes per login switch over 15 characters= hours wasted per night if I want to keep up with crafting.

And by riveting, I mean quite possibly one of the most boring and worst gaming experiences you can possibly waste your time on.

so, yeah, we have been asking for this since beta, and all the poor "I have no smart phone, I use smoke signals still " people think it will be too great an advantage for those of us connected to the 21st century.

I, on the other hand, just look at it from a gameplay/fun perspective.

Its not gameplay that is in any way fun, thus its very bad planning and implementation. This is a game we play after working 8+ hours a day. Its not a second job where I should need to spend tedious hours entering passwords and staring at login screens just to shuffle crew skills so my characters can have gear to wear...

The more frustrating and poor systems that arent fun in the game, the more people get frustrated and lose desire to play. Because, quite simply, its NOT FUN.

• 4 months later...
I want an app like this as well (I know this thread is more or less dead ) Or at least the ability to queue any crew skill not just crafting ones for either a set amount of time (an hour or 2) or 4-8 missions SO When I have the time to play I can actually play not have to log back and forth between my toons every half hour or hour to crew skill and still be able to get things done

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.