Solo pvp pug class, which would you choose

dannycarr

Like the title says, what is the best class for solo pug pvp? The reason I ask is that currently I am playing a class the requires some support i.e. I die really quick if no healers are around. I am getting frustrated pugging WZ and ending up with sub par players and spending the whole time in the respwan area. I play a sage dps atm and don't want to heal. So in your opinions which class would you pick that is the least dependant upon the rest of the group you are with?

For survivability on my own, I like my shadow-tank (tankasin from the imp side). I've got stealth to pick my own fights. I've got some kick-arse defensive cooldowns. I've got some nice escape tools. I have the ability to pull enemies into the fires in huttball. :) I have OK DPS. And now my shield works better. The down side is that people will expect you to solo guard nodes all the time (people don't seem to realize what even just your taunts can do for the team). If you acquiesce then you will often be stuck out of the action for much of the game.

Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah I know its a team game, and I do try and play for the team, but I feel that since I don't pre-made or do RWZ then I want a toon that is not going to be such an easy kill. In a perfect world I would have a great team and my sage would be amazing, but as it stands, I want something that can stand on its own two feet. I think a shadow sounds great.

My sin is tank spec, and I still had tons of fun in pvp with him (before 2.0, and making shield more effective overall). There was several occasions where I had to 1 vs 2 to take an off node, and did so. I also have an alt jugg, in veng spec, that does pretty well for himself, also. He does good damage, and the heavy armor helps him soak some hits. But it won't matter much what you run, if you get focus-fired.

I don't do ranked, and rarely even do advance teams. I just PuG it up, and hope for a competent team-mate or three. What server do you play on? (I am on Shadowlands.)

I'm on Red Eclipse, and there are some good players on there. Its usually a case of who has the best pre-made on our server for the win. I currently have a lvl 55 guardian that I may consider playing, is it worth playing a tank in pvp, or should I just go smash spec?

I'm on Red Eclipse, and there are some good players on there. Its usually a case of who has the best pre-made on our server for the win. I currently have a lvl 55 guardian that I may consider playing, is it worth playing a tank in pvp, or should I just go smash spec?

In a word, yes.

I always run solo in pvp and I have more tanks toons than any other role. I would go so far as to say I probably lean on tanking as a 'comfort zone'. I do think the recommendation of a shadow/sin is probably the best, but any of the three tanks are a good safe bet If you're looking for a tough sob to take down.

Honestly, with the seemingly overabundance of healer's and lack of tanks (or good tanks) q'ing, it almost feels like easy-mode. Other times you get into those WZ's where you are the only tank surrounded by 7 dps, that can get a bit tricky. Off node guarding is a good option in that scenario because you're tough to take down. If you're going with 'the zerg', make sure to throw your taunts around liberally. I am a bit stingy with my guard in those cases but I do still use it for whomever seems to be the most 'threatening' on our team.

Edited by Ridickilis

Haven't tried my tanks (jugga/assassin) since 2.0 came out but from my pre 2.0 experience trying to pug solo as a tank is just impossible.

When I'm on my healer yes I'll get a guard but then they'll wander off and never see them again so I guess it all depends on what you call tanking :) .....also depends on how often you come across healers. Yes theres a lot out there but its still surprising how many wzs you have without one in your team.

He's plays a sage dps, according to his op, and he's looking for a 'sturdier' class from the sounds of his follow up posts.

Perhaps he just needs a few pointers for his Sage?

I don't know about you guys but Jugg/Guardian tanking is awesome since 2.0, well I think so anyway. :D

Edited by Ridickilis

Like the title says, what is the best class for solo pug pvp? The reason I ask is that currently I am playing a class the requires some support i.e. I die really quick if no healers are around. I am getting frustrated pugging WZ and ending up with sub par players and spending the whole time in the respwan area. I play a sage dps atm and don't want to heal. So in your opinions which class would you pick that is the least dependant upon the rest of the group you are with?

I wouldn't pick merc only because (to me) it is very boring in terms of rotation. Not broken, just boring. Anything else is fine, though juggernaut has a lot of support functionality you might not want or need solo queuing. I think anyone who truly believes one class is inadequate for solo queuing or doesn't bring value is mistaken - though I will admit it is nice to be able to respec to tank or heals as needed - certainly not necessary.

Your example (sage DPS) is fine without heals in my opinion. No class *needs* heals. Any class will get stomped if you're with really bad teammates. I particularly like balance sage for the flexibility and mobility it has. Though its not 'easy' per se.

Edited by dcgregorya

He's plays a sage dps, according to his op, and he's looking for a 'sturdier' class from the sounds of his follow up posts.

Perhaps he just needs a few pointers for his Sage?

I don't know about you guys but Jugg/Guardian tanking is awesome since 2.0, well I think so anyway. :D

I missed that... def sounds like he could use a few pointers. DPS sage/sorc is great for PUGing IMO. And I LOVE tanking on my jug... but hate tanking as a PUG with a bunch of people not worth guarding or have no clue what to do when I move the fight and especially the little chance of having a healer to peel for.

Far more fun to tank or heal in a pre-made IMO.

And sage DPS is great because YOU can heal... after that being pointed out... I really don't know what the problem is other than maybe learning your class a bit better and working on kiting.

Edited by Baedwulf

Smash Juggernaut/Sweep Guardian. :D

More fun to play imho then Mara/Sentinel, ability to solo kill is pretty good and survivability is decent. Really fun class for Huttball, with Guardian Leap and Kick.

I have Sweep Guardian and Carnage Mara and both are nice in their own way and quite fun to play. Carnage Mara just takes lot more skill and timing to get it work properly, Sweep Guardian is lot easier to learn.

Yeah I think I made this in haste after a string of matches, its really amazing how things change over an hour, I go from running all over the WZ only dying once per match to being completly steam rolled. Note to self, learn to take the rough with the smooth, its not always going to go my way...... :p

Sorc Sage or Snipe seem to most reliably get the most medals. Pure DPS and Merc take the most finesse. Take a look at the number of deaths some of the top players get. It may seem like you are getting owned but mathmatically, some classes can do more damage and if in right area get more medals while still dying versus trying to stay alive. Also, if you learn to die in a way that buys your team time or position you will get MVP points.

I think soloing is rarely a good idea in a warzone. But if you want to make a difference by yourself, choose either a stealth or healing class.

Stealth can turn the tide of a warzone around by stealing nodes in civil war, hypergates, novare coast. Shadow/sin tanks are among the best huttball scorers. With scamper/exfiltrate, scoundrel/ops can get to the ball faster, and to nodes faster. These two classes also have excellent mobility to help with defense.

Good healing can contribute to a team a lot for obvious reasons. Turn your mediocre team into a less mediocre one :p with a healer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.