sniper - do you "sit there in cover" or do you "kite"?

Banderal

I'm looking for advice here as a pretty noob sniper (mid 30's level). So, I can sit in the back and pew pew away, and if no one bothers to bother me, then of course I'm fine. If one person bothers me - no problem. Knock them back with ambush, root them, kill them. I'm wondering what's the "good tactic" if you start getting focused? Do you sit there in cover and just take it because then you'll have all your best attacks available? Or do you get up and try to kite/LOS "them"? I can't seem to decide which helps me survive longer, and yet still remain effective. There may not be a one-size-fits-all solution, I'm sure, but is there a general rule of thumb that works best in most situations? Or is it totally situational for this class?

My .02

MM you really do weak damage on the run. Depends a lot on if I am entrenched. Once you get the AOE DR talents, you're better served actually standing in AOE fire (including smash) then moving. You'll crank out way more damage then you'll take in.

Lethality is much better hit/run.

Engineer I would 'guess' you'd be inclined to hunker down as you've got the best set of defensives/dots of any of the specs.

The better question to ask is: What do you prefer to play? If you WANT to hit/run, go the leth route. It's plenty effective.

Edited by islander

As a sniper most of your strenghts comes from:

1. Being in cover (which gives a load of bonuses do you)

2. Being positioned in the right place.

Obviously (2) requires you to be mobile, but it goes against (1). It takes some practice to understand when to move and when you should be focusing on your rotation and dealing with the threats while taking advantage of your CDs.

The better is your standing position, the more time you have to fully DPS. Your mobile DPS is mediocre and unless you are about to deliver a killing blow with takedown and other instant attacks, you are not good at hunting down targets.

As for kiting, I propose you to look from this perspective: A good, strategic positioning will require less kiting from you to do, and thus allow for more DPS. There is a difference when you spot and react to a melee at the edge of your firing range (35m), and one at 10m range just beyond the corner. In the second case you really need to think very well if you want to fight him while being your face or you just want to CC him and get the hell out of there.

Edited by NoTomorrow

With marksmanship, if you have a object to LoS with very close and people focusing on you are purely ranged, you can take the few steps to LoS. But you most likely don't, so it's better imo just stay put and use defensive cds. If LoS object isn't close, you'll most likely die while running towards it anyway.

*snip*

Your mobile DPS is mediocre and unless you are about to deliver a killing blow with takedown and other instant attacks, you are not good at hunting down targets.

*snip*

Wanted to snip this part to mention that something MMs don't always remember is that you can do both takedown and FT while on the move (obviously you have a frag you can toss as well).

If you've got a priority target that's almost dead and out of your range, don't hesitate to get up and finish him if you think it suits your team best. Say you finish a SoS and you've got said target down to 8k health and he starts fleeing. You could get up and chase, hitting your FT, leg shot (if now avail), Grenade, Takedown, and then another FT.

Edited by islander

Wanted to snip this part to mention that something MMs don't always remember is that you can do both takedown and FT while on the move (obviously you have a frag you can toss as well).

If you've got a priority target that's almost dead and out of your range, don't hesitate to get up and finish him if you think it suits your team best. Say you finish a SoS and you've got said target down to 8k health and he starts fleeing. You could get up and chase, hitting your FT, Grenade, Takedown, and then another FT.

yeah, Takedown + FT is the most powerful execute in the entire game.

All I can say is when im on my vengeance jug if I see a sniper leave cover im all over that guy like white on rice.

and that's fine too if it has to happen.

If your pug team has one good healer and I can 100% trade my respawn for his - it's a done deal. Their team loses out more.

I'm looking for advice here as a pretty noob sniper (mid 30's level). So, I can sit in the back and pew pew away, and if no one bothers to bother me, then of course I'm fine. If one person bothers me - no problem. Knock them back with ambush, root them, kill them. I'm wondering what's the "good tactic" if you start getting focused? Do you sit there in cover and just take it because then you'll have all your best attacks available? Or do you get up and try to kite/LOS "them"? I can't seem to decide which helps me survive longer, and yet still remain effective. There may not be a one-size-fits-all solution, I'm sure, but is there a general rule of thumb that works best in most situations? Or is it totally situational for this class?

It depends how bad the other team is.

As with all classes there are different styles of playing the sniper. I'd just find a way to play the class that works for you and stick with it.

What I will add to that though is if you spend most of your time pugging then you will no doubt find yourself being more mobile trying to compensate for the muppets you find you find in the warzones.

If on the other hand you spend most of your time grouping up with friends....well then your job is easier and you'll probably find yourself staying still a lot more. It's all very situational together with just how you like playing your toon.

As with all classes there are different styles of playing the sniper. I'd just find a way to play the class that works for you and stick with it.

What I will add to that though is if you spend most of your time pugging then you will no doubt find yourself being more mobile trying to compensate for the muppets you find you find in the warzones.

If on the other hand you spend most of your time grouping up with friends....well then your job is easier and you'll probably find yourself staying still a lot more. It's all very situational together with just how you like playing your toon.

LOL, very much this.

I love catching Snipers out of cover. My eyes light up once I see one get up to move.

As a sniper, I realize this and will totally leave cover to lure people out of the way and give my team a clear passage to an objective. You'd be amazed how often that works in Hutt Ball after camping the cat walks for a while. Get focused; jump down in your pit and hump[ the pillars. Meanwhile; your team is off and running with the ball.

I've yet to find a sniper that does anything other than promptly die when they try to kite or leave cover when attacked.

That's assuming the sniper is kiting to survive or bide time for others.

There's a lot of people that will loose interest in the sniper when they get out of range, the new roll is a prime example of that. People tend to just turn around and start wacking the nearest target. It's only the people who never give up and the decent players that actually keep at it.

A lot of the time its not important whether you die or not whilst kiting the important thing is if you help prevent a cap by surviving a bit longer.

Well, yes, there is that. So many times I'm in my nice little perch up on the 2nd level of mid in CW, and the rest of the team decides the best thing to do is leave the turret and go stand under their landing ramp. Then that one guy comes in stealthed from the other side, and uses the turret to LoS me while he starts to cap. Then I have to move to stop him. :mad:

Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone! Now to go try to put it into practice. I'm off to the WZs! If you see me there you should definitely just leave me alone. Because now that I have all this great advice you know I'll be kicking your butt if you try anything. :D

If you can 1v1 some one which should be traditional melee dps plus hit unhindered past 15' do not complain. How many snipers in real life can get full advantage in the pure physical open plus run and shoot for anything with that huge gun. To kill a snipe u will take damage or die and it becomes a choice between the snipe or a heal. If u question this try a merc(mercs can be good so dont hate). Just work on becoming more efficient.

On behalf of Knight players everywhere, I'd like to thank the snipers that don't stay in cover. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to leap to them and just tear them apart because of the bonuses I get when they let me use a leap.

aka: stay in cover as sniper unless you have a VERY good reason not to- you're not an operative, you're the best turret class

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.