State of the Combat Medic/Bodyguard

sergeanthawk

A little background of myself before I get onto the issue. I was a launch player and left shortly after the mess that was Ilum. I have both a 50 Commando and a 50 Scoundrel (both at 55 now, will come to that in a bit) and both of them are specced heals. I mainly PvP with the occasional PvE. I absolutely love PvP in this game, despite it being a CCfest at times. I love the innovative take on the warzones; sometimes some minor changes to a traditional gameplay element make a huge difference.

Now on to the issue. If I do remember correctly, Combat Medic/Bodyguard specs were nerfed sometime during the Ilum patch or 1.2. Some of the main nerfs (if I remember correctly) were:

1) Supercharged cells only grants 1 ammo.

2) Advanced Medical Probe only reduces Medical Probe's casting cost by 1 ammo.

3) Critical healing bonus of our main spells were reduced from 30% to 15%.

4) Trauma Probe costs ammo now.

No doubt, Combat Medics needed a nerf. They were quite the commandos back then. Here is some proof:

He was one of my guildie and we owned Imperials left and right during the launch months. Granted, Level 50s were still grouped up with sub-50s, and we were grouped up against PUGs, but there is no denying that Commandos needed a nerf.

Fair enough, the nerfs hit, and Combat Medics were still fairly good. At around the same time, My Scoundrel hit 50 and I tried out Scoundrel healing. I have no idea about Sage healing, but Scoundrel and Combat Medics seem to be on a fairly equal level back then, with maybe Scoundrel having more mobility and larger heals, but the difference really isn't that huge.

Now, with the expansion, we reach a new cap of 55. Commandos received a new ability called Electro-net, and Hold the Line, both of which are extremely useful in PvP, and really deals with some of the mobility issues that Combat Medics have.

However, in comparison to my 55 Scoundrel, I find that my Combat Medic lacks a lot in healing power and frequently run out of ammo trying to keep up with the high damage output in PvP. For example, my Combat Medic is in full Partisan and my Medical Probe crits for about 6 - 7k. My Scoundrel is in half Partisan and half Battlemaster gear (yes, Battlemaster despite it being detrimental to the new Bolster system), and crits for 7k+ on my Underworld Medicine. I believe this is because of the additional 15% crit bonus granted in one of the talents in the Sawbones spec.

The question is, what makes Combat Medics so much better that they only get a 15% bonus to their crit heals (even though it is 15% to ALL their heals compared to Sawbone's 30% to 3 heals)? I cannot say the same about Sages as I do not have a 55 Sage, but at the moment, Combat Medics are severely underpowered compared to Scoundrel healing (at least in PvP). Let me list down some points:

1) Slow-release Medpac costs 9 energy when talented, but Trauma Probe costs 16 ammo. Slow-release Medpac can be casted on multiple targets, Trauma Probe only 1. Trauma Probe activates every 2 seconds (talented) when attacked, Slow-release Medpac procs every 3 seconds I believe and can be stacked twice. Slow-release Medpac can be casted 'without costing energy', due to the global cooldown, but Trauma Probe cannot be. Is Trauma Probe really better than Slow-release Medpac to warrant this?

2) Pugnacity was changed to being a cooldown spell, and the extra energy regen was given to all Sawbones. Now Sawbone healers have 6 energy regen/sec, and requires no activation at all. Supercharged cells regen 1 ammo when activated, and prior to that, requires gathering 30 charges. I don't think I need to explain more.

3) Emergency Medpac requires Upper Hand to cast, and does not benefit from the 30% heal crit talent that Sawbones has. Bacta Infudion has a 21 second cooldown but does not require any ammo to cast. Both heal for relatively the same amount. However, I'm sure most Sawbones player can confidently tell me that they never really run out of Upper Hand charges. A simple rotation that can be done with Sawbones is Underworld Medicine -> Emergency Medpac for a huge heal. The same can be done for Combat Medics: Medical Probe -> Bacta Infusion. However, that is once per 18 seconds (with 4 set PvP gear). Scoundrels can do their rotation every single time without going down the 'unsafe level' of energy regen.

4) Diagnostic Scan crits regen energy to the Scoundrel. Hammer Shot can't be casted on the Combat Medic themselves, and provides no real value other than the building of charges.

It could be that Scoundrels are overpowered in healing at the moment, I do not know. I do not have a Sage to compare these 2 other healing classes. However, I feel that Combat Medics have to be reevaluated at the 55 level. The nerfs were definitely warranted back then, but right now, at a new level cap, and with every class getting new spells and abilities, the Combat Medic nerfs have to be reevaluated to bring them in line with the other healers. Either the other 2 healing classes have to be nerfed, or Combat Medics buffed to bring them in line.

I do not want to make any suggestions except for this: Bacta Infusion definitely needs a shorter cooldown.

TLDR version: Combat Medics need to either be buffed to be in line with other healers, or other healers nerfed to be in line with Combat Medics.

Thank you for your time.

TLDR version: Combat Medics need to either be buffed to be in line with other healers, or other healers nerfed to be in line with Combat Medics.

Indeed although we are in a better place post 2.0 than in a very long time.

Indeed although we are in a better place post 2.0 than in a very long time.

Its all relative. CM/Body guards improved over their previous iteration, but so have sages and scoundrels. We're still significantly outclassed. Its the unfortunate reality.

I would like to see the devs help, but what are the odds of that happening. Their mystical metrics always outweigh player experience.

Its all relative. CM/Body guards improved over their previous iteration, but so have sages and scoundrels. We're still significantly outclassed. Its the unfortunate reality.

I would like to see the devs help, but what are the odds of that happening. Their mystical metrics always outweigh player experience.

in order to balance healers, you don't buff mandos/mercs, you nerf operatives.

Commandos man, you buff then an inch, they want a mile!

Just spam Electronet and Hold the Line.

Not too sure if you play a Commando, but Electronet is on a 90 seconds cooldown as a Combat Medic, and Hold the Line is on a 25 seconds (with 2 piece PvP) cooldown. These abilities should always be on cooldown on any decent Combat Medic. They aren't exactly 'spammable'.

I don't think Combat Medics have ever been buffed. These are new abilities that every class gets on the way to 55. I would think in comparison, Sage and Scoundrels get far more useful abilities, in addition to their already better healing potential.

Edited by sergeanthawk

Unfortunately we are still looked at as the 'support healer'. Obviously pre 1.2 we were awesome (I remember running around and being pretty much unbeatable :D) but now we have perpetually taken the back seat to the other 2 healers but I reckon its due to the support and buffs we actually give others healers and classes.

So what we have is a armour buff with HoT from healing scan, which procs a reduced heat cost in rapid scan. Kolto bomb which leaves kolto residue which increases all healing done to that target for 15secs. Also if you hit your supercharge gas kolto bomb puts another armour buff on the target and they get increased healing. Right with that being said for a good merc/commando healer kolto residue should never fall off your targets but sometimes it happens :) Now for single target heals I still think that we have the best burst set of healing to give a tank but other that that yes we are behind the other 2 classes by quite a lot.

I still heal in pvp as a Merc healer mainly because its fun and my mates that I play with, one of them is probably the best operative healer on our server. We have noticed that when i'm not heal spec'd that he'll score around 200 -300k heals less than when i'm spamming kolto bomb on everyone.

But as you said originally no we are nowhere near as good as the other two classes, hence why we rarely see them in pvp and ops. Yes we did get a buff but I still think they need to tweak it a bit more.

I didnt read your post, it was so long and boring....just know operatives/scoundrels are so ridiculously over powered dont bother trying to compete. A complete facking moron could dominate with that class healing.

I love my Commando but I am leveling a scoundrel healer atm. If we got the changes we got in 2.0 in 1.6 everything would have been awesome. I think that would have put us on par with the other healers.

Since that didn't happen I still think we are only a couple of tweaks away from being on par with the other 2 healers. I have seen/had a few suggestions that would accomplish this around the forums:

- Make Trauma Probe have better synergy with our other healing abilities. Something along the lines of targets with Trauma Probe applied receive more healing from Hammer Shots or Med Probe crits on a target with Trauma Probe refunds X ammo.

- Restore SCC to what is was before the nerf. Or Kolto Residue.

- I would like to see a new ability for SCC. Maybe have Charged Bolts or Hail of Bolts work as a heal in the same vein as Hammer Shots while SCC is up. Maybe reduce the instant ammo gain but have increased regen while it's up.

- I would like to see something proc based to bring more depth to the class. Something like crit heals have a 15% chance to finish the CD on Bacta Infusion.

Commandos man, you buff then an inch, they want a mile!

Just spam Electronet and Hold the Line.

Well after you get nerfed 10 feet, that 1 inch might give you hope that one day you'll have a chance to get close to Sage quality. ;):rolleyes:

After awhile you get tired of getting mocked for not being as good as a Sage because EAware crippled your class.

If Operatives/Scoundral healer's survivability was nerfed CM/Bodyguards would be the hardiest of all the healers. Sages are a one trick pony, get them to blow their stasis and they're done.

Bubble + Speed + Knockback + 10 sec Bubble + instant Puddle Heal + Slow = 1 trick

Edited by Capt_Beers

I honestly can't figure out what the niche that combat medics are supposed to fill is. People keep throwing around the single target healer idea and support healer, but honestly why settle with a support healer when you can have a much more powerful single target and aoe healer like the sage and ofc the scoundrel. The only thing I can think of is the rude amount of damage a healing mando can pull compared to the other healers. I mean, in normals if you find the enemy damage lacking or if you have that many healer you could start pew pewing as heals spec, it's not half bad dps when you assist your dpsers, not to mention net. But then again, why bring the mando as heals and not as dps if the only thing a mando healer has over other healers is the higher dps output...

Yeah the changes in 2.0 were a significant improvement. Had sages and scoundrels just stayed where they were and commandos got their bump, they might be on par. But with the enormous bumps to both sages and scoundrels, medics are still lagging behind in the raw heals department. Which sucks for me. I have a sage, but I really miss my commando who is so much more fun to play. Sadly, the medic just can't pump out the raw numbers.

I'd be okay with either a bump to commandos to bring them up or a nerf to scoundrels and sages to bring them down. But I'm really not holding my breath considering how long it took for them to throw us a bone at all after they nerfed us almost out of existence. I think they just really don't know what the hell to do with our class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.