Leveling Help

Wieldsith

As the topic says I have a question about leveling I am hoping will clear something up for me. To start, I do pvp, flashpoints etc, and find myself usually 5-6 levels above the current planet level that my class story is on. Prime example: I am level 35 right now and just starting Alderaan which I have picked up some quests and they seem to be in the 28-29 range so far. Should I focus on my class quest and go to the next planet ignoring the other quests that are here or should I do everything?

Thanks a lot everyone for looking at this! :o

Depends.

I'm always in the same boat as you; over leveled about 4-6 levels all the time. Are you poor? If so you can grind out the whole planet in about an hour or so and make around 100k credits and 30-40ish planetary coms.

If you have money and gear coming out the wazoo, you could probably skip everything but the class story and go to the next planet if you're looking to be challenged.

I don't run fp's, I just pvp so I always need the coms and credits myself.

But you're not missing anything 'exciting' by skipping either, if that's your question. Especially if you've already seen the planet and storyline there.

Edited by Ridickilis

I'm a new player and found the same thing. I do run each FP 1-3 times, but don't PvP. What I've found works for me is to do the minimal questing on every other planet (just the class quests). I figure that if I roll an alt for the same faction I can catch up on the planets I skipped. This way I can keep level appropriate while "completing" the quest chains on the planets that I choose to focus on. Seems to be working.

Personally, I put the class story ahead of everything else, since no matter what I have to complete it in the long run, so why not complete it when it gives you the most XP?

I run Class quests exclusively until they turn orange, then PvP/FP/Space until they are back to yellow.

Rinse and repeat.

On my main, I did everything up to a certain point (level 40-ish), but during that time I also made a bunch of alts. Now I don't bother with anything (on any character) other than the class quest and each planet's main quest line, which usually contain some interesting parts.

I really prefer chilling out on the fleet doing whatever I feel like at any given time (pvp /flashpoints/crafting) and whenever I'm at the right level get the next planet done as quickly as possible. Planets taking forever isn't fun, not for me anyway.

On my main, I did everything up to a certain point (level 40-ish), but during that time I also made a bunch of alts. Now I don't bother with anything (on any character) other than the class quest and each planet's main quest line, which usually contain some interesting parts.

I really prefer chilling out on the fleet doing whatever I feel like at any given time (pvp /flashpoints/crafting) and whenever I'm at the right level get the next planet done as quickly as possible. Planets taking forever isn't fun, not for me anyway.

I'm the same way did everything with my 1st toon, but next few alts I was doing mostly storyline and pvp/fp I only did planet missions if 1) I liked them the 1st time, or 2) I missed them and just wanted to check it out. Also a good way to max out your XP if your above the planet lvl, try running thro your storyline, and that normally unlocks the planets bonus series they are pretty fun, give a good amount of xp and creds, and some good gear.

For you OP I would suggest NS bonus series if I remember right you should be the perfect lvl for it.

Personally, I put the class story ahead of everything else, since no matter what I have to complete it in the long run, so why not complete it when it gives you the most XP?

I run Class quests exclusively until they turn orange, then PvP/FP/Space until they are back to yellow.

What does that mean? I don't understand the color system, though I have noticed it.

What does that mean? I don't understand the color system, though I have noticed it.

Quoting this page:

"Each mission is color-coded to indicate the difficulty level. Easy missions, colored gray and green, are below your current level. Yellow missions pose a moderate challenge and are at or around your current level. Difficult missions, colored orange and red, are above your current level."

To find out the exact levels you only have to check your own mission log, level up and see when they change.

@ OP,

You could just do your class mission on Alderaan and then go right to Balmorra (Republic) or Taris (Imperial). But you are getting close to the cap on those two planets as well. The missions for you in Bal/Tar will be green at level 35 but if you class+side+bonus series you may come out at level 37-38. You can probably do class missions there too. But you've just skipped two planets so now you may have a problem with gear.

You'll be hitting up Quesh then Hoth then Belsavis next. IMO, you will want to have your gear upgraded by the time you leave Hoth, because Belsavis can be a bit of a pain depending on your AC. What kind of gear do you have? how many moddable pieces? how many commendation badges would it take to upgrade all your gear to -17 mods? (requires level 39). Or alternatively, by the time you finish Hoth can you afford mods and upgrades from the GTN?

At that point in the game you may have lots of moddable pieces. I have some level 40s who are about to start Belsavis and here is what they have. At mid level, i focus mostly on getting my toon ready for Belsavis. I get as many -17 mods as i can (Hoth mod commendation vendor), but i might have some -16 from the Quesh vendor.

63 comm badges = x8 armoring, x1 hilt

18 comm badges = x9 mod

14 comm badges = x7 enhancements

Of course you can forget about most of that stuff about comm vendors and badges if you have someone or know someone that can craft prototype. Or if you have lots of creds you can just buy stuff from the GTN.

Edited by swtonewbie

If you don't think you'll play through the story again with an alt ~ I'd play everything on Alderaan before moving on.

If you know you're going to level alts because you're already thinking about your next toon ~ do your class missions & move on.

There's far more content than is necessary to level a toon, and it would improve your experience with your alts if you saved some fresh content to play through.

Another thing to consider (if you have more than one character) is that doing all quests just doesn't make sense on some classes. On my Sith main it made sense to do most missions since they are building a power base, and any Jedi (lightside anyway) would be helping people as much as possible. It feels less so with Agents and Troopers, since they are ordered to do specific official missions and don't really have any reason to veer off from them apart from, say, "helping out with the war". Even less with smugglers and bounty hunters, though their dialogues usually include alternatives focused on payment. Overall it also depends on your character's personality; I enjoy getting immersed in them and therefore only do missions that I feel that they would do.

Overall it also depends on your character's personality; I enjoy getting immersed in them and therefore only do missions that I feel that they would do.

I think that you may be missing out on some funny dialogue options though. Even from class to class, there are a few minor difference here and there. I've leveled a bunch of toons through Nar Shadaa on rep side, even a gunslinger. But i leveled a scoundrel through there just recently and one of the missions that i always do, i actually tried a different dialogue option and it had me lol'ing. Even the 'evil' sith warriors have some funny dialogue options here. Some of the back and forth that goes on between you and Thana Vesh for example.

one of my favorites with my SW and Thana is

You are at the imp base talking to her master about the mission you just did. Thana calls you both on the holo and starts arguing with you since you left her and didnt help her. But one of the dialogue options is 'sorry Thana i have to go the emperor is calling' and you hang up on her. I think her master even thanks you when you cut the holo off.

Personally, I do most of the side missions, especially now that you get generic Planetary Comms vice the planet specific ones. Then I hit the fleet and upgrade my armor. Granted my main is 55 and my alts are in the lv 20-30 range, so I will probably change my strategy in a few hours.

i find it great to be a few levels ahead of the curve, although 6 levels is the max. (when quests are green you still recieve maximum quest reward xp)

This way you recieve maximal quest experience, can do all the 2 man heroics solo (sometimes even the 4 man heroics) You can run past most of the mobs to get to objectives faster and for me the most important:

You actually feel strong.

+ it does give you some flexibility to skip certain planets etc ( i always skip tattooine.. just hat that big Dune wannabe sandbox)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.