Thanks for the PvP clarification Erci M!

Genttry

Awesome. I am behind the curve, I know, but this post from Eric, which I found on the helpful Duffy site, makes things more tidy re bolster. I absolutely love the inclusiveness and the intent for the new bolster system! Incredible and keep up the good work Bioware! Here is the link and I'll post the bullets that I found helpful, word for word, here. (see page 28 of the SWTOR link). http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6144955#edit6144955 For those of you who missed this like me and per Eric:

•There is a very important note in regards to how the bolster system handles mixing expertise and non-expertise mods on a single item: The short answer is, you shouldn’t do it. The longer answer is, players are much better off than when they decide to make an item a PvP-focused item, they replace all of the mods inside it with expertise mods. The bolster system handles “PvP” items slightly differently than “PvE” items, and putting even a single expertise mod inside an item tells the bolster that the item is a “PvP” item. The result of this situation can be less than ideal for a player in either content channel, and certainly isn’t working as well as we intended. We continue to discuss fixes to this particular issue, but players can work around the problem by making sure they are either pure PvE items or pure PvP items. Note: This is only with mods on a per item basis, mixing different items on a full character is fine.

Gear vs. Skill•Pre-2.0 PvP was all about your items. Being ‘the best’ meant you had EWH with augments and no one could touch you. This situation was unfortunate because it made the PvP game too harsh on the ‘have nots’ and made the grind to EWH much more bitter because of getting your face pushed in the mud day after day. The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players. In 2.0 we don’t want to totally get rid of PvP gear progression, we still want a gear gap but we want to tone down how overpowered the top tier gear is versus the lower PvP gear so that the moment to moment gameplay is more enjoyable. We want everyone you group with to be contributors from a gear standpoint (them not responding to “inc grass 3” calls or not throwing you the Huttball when they are immobilized is something we can’t help :p). We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable. It is a balance act, sometimes it will slide too far on one side or the other and we will correct it but this methodology, the balance between skill vs. gear, will result in the most healthy PvP game and community possible for the long term.

[/color]The bolster system is a work-in-progress per his post. I've found that the matches are generally much more competitive. I've been able to contribute in a substantial way as soon as I hit 55. Similarly, more people can contribute in a meaningful way, per Bioware's goal. However. for both healing and DPS, there are still standout performers.

I will update this post as I dig into rated warzones this week. So far, though, I applaud Bioware for the changes with the bolster system. While it still has some flaws, we can see that Bioware recognizes a lot of them and will continue to improve this mechanic. I am very happy that SWTOR is moving in the correct direction. Additionally, I think a lot of competitive pvp'ers rejoice with me for making the games more interesting and fun!

Bioware, you did well! *tips hat* Keep up the the good work, despite many of the naysayers...

Edited by Genttry

Old news is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: And no one missed this, how about you quote his 7 post following that one that completely backtrack and admit the system is ****ed.

Edited by scraycroft

I've noticed NO change in the competitiveness in WZ's. I still am on teams that 3 cap , Im on teams that have been 3 capped, and I'm on teams that have players quit the minute they start losing .. Im not sure how you can say its better, competitively ..

I do feel like the gear gap has been closed .. but dont kid yourself, a fully min/maxed player STILL EASILY rolls a new PvP player ..

I've noticed NO change in the competitiveness in WZ's. I still am on teams that 3 cap , Im on teams that have been 3 capped, and I'm on teams that have players quit the minute they start losing .. Im not sure how you can say its better, competitively ..

I do feel like the gear gap has been closed .. but dont kid yourself, a fully min/maxed player STILL EASILY rolls a new PvP player ..

I guess I can say it because we have different experiences? I too, friend, notice the gear gap closing! Thanks for the reply and support!

Edited by Genttry

Old news is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: And no one missed this, how about you quote his 7 post following that one that completely backtrack and admit the system is ****ed.

Well, at least I didn't need my glasses or contacts on/in to read your post:) Thanks for the reply friend! It really sucks that you aren't enjoying the game as much as me!

Edited by Genttry

This!!! Nothing has changed, the players who sucked pre-2.0, still suck post-2.0, the teams that can roll most people, do roll most people. Just like pre-2.0, the team who can focus the best, generally wins. Damage is higher, healing is higher, but the human factor is still very much there.

This!!! Nothing has changed, the players who sucked pre-2.0, still suck post-2.0, the teams that can roll most people, do roll most people. Just like pre-2.0, the team who can focus the best, generally wins. Damage is higher, healing is higher, but the human factor is still very much there.

Well, that's good! You and I, being competitive pvp'ers, want the human factor to still be there, right? That's why we queue in the first place! Bioware could have remained on the same track and made the gear gap even bigger, but they closed it so you and I can continue to queue up! Hey, thanks for the reply and support:)

Edited by Genttry

Well, at least I didn't need my glasses or contacts on/in to read your post:) Thanks for the reply friend! It really sucks that you aren't enjoying the game as much as me!

You're welcome bud.

I'm still enjoying the game, just playing alts to 55 until they fix bolster/my sub expires, whichever comes first.

TESO isn't too far away, and that keeps me calm.

This is my assessment as well. The main thing I see is more individual archtypes are more competitive in pvp, but that's got nothing to do with lolbolster, and more to do with the class changes in 2.0. "On the whole" they did a solid job on rebalancing classes at 55. There are some exceptions though. Its just not as bad as it used to be.

Edited by islander

You're welcome bud.

I'm still enjoying the game, just playing alts to 55 until they fix bolster/my sub expires, whichever comes first.

TESO isn't too far away, and that keeps me calm.

Sounds good, pal. Hope you have fun with the alts! At least the general concensus is that Bioware did well with the leveling experience:) Stay calm, but frosty, buddy!

edit: What's the advance word on TESO? I spent many hours playing elder scrolls instead of studying while in law school. At least I put my laptop to good use!

Edited by Genttry

This is my assessment as well. The main thing I see is more individual archtypes are more competitive in pvp, but that's got nothing to do with lolbolster, and more to do with the class changes in 2.0. "On the whole" they did a solid job on rebalancing classes at 55. There are some exceptions though. Its just not as bad as it used to be.

I agree with the reblancing part; thanks for the support:)

Edited by Genttry

You guys dont think assassins are OP?

I think that a lot of the classes/specs can seem OP when in the hands of a truly good player. There are a few

really good players out there, too. On the whole, I think they are a strong PvP class from what I've seen so far. I think answers on this topic will vary depending upon which class the poster plays.

Not at all, maybe its different for other roles, but I'll take an assassin wailing on me over any other class on my Sage, except maybe a PT.

Poor PTs:( I agree with you for the most part; my sorc has more problems with some other classes riding her tail, looolo. However, there is one assasin on my server who is an excellent player and is a real pita...

Pre 2.0 there really weren't many people running around in recruit or less. At least not on my servers. Of course 10% of 500k players who can't hack it can make a lot of noise on msg boards and should be appeased if possible. But not at the expense of pissing off the other 90% which is where we're at now.

Pre 2.0 there really weren't many people running around in recruit or less. At least not on my servers. Of course 10% of 500k players who can't hack it can make a lot of noise on msg boards and should be appeased if possible. But not at the expense of pissing off the other 90% which is where we're at now.

Sorry you don't like the game post 2.0 I'd be willing to bet your numbers are off, though. I'd bet there is a big difference between the number of passionate, pissed-off pvp'ers who post on the forums and the total number of happy players who enjoy the changes.

Thanks for posting, and for taking time to support this thread!

Why do I feel like I am on drugs reading this thread? Look plain and simple

1 fix not knowing what gear is going to give you statwise in pvp

2 give people a reason to pvp if gear is all going to hit the same level or relatively the same

3 fix the augment bug

If you don't want to do all of those three then just give us all the same damn stats. Maybe we can earn cool looking gear through pvp. The current system is ambiguous and multiple ways to cheat during each and every patch of new gear in the future. If i buy one more better item to have it lower my overall stats in a WZ ill crack. We need something to show us what the difference after bolster is going to be when looking at pieces.

This is the first MMO I have played that actually gave me higher stats for a lower stat item. I think i must be on drugs

Oh I forgot to add 2 more things...

Perhaps after 1 year have more then one pvp expansion

FIX game breaking PVP bugs faster then 1.5 months. We would all understand a hotfix

Edited by Kegparty

Sorry you don't like the game post 2.0 I'd be willing to bet your numbers are off, though. I'd bet there is a big difference between the number of passionate, pissed-off pvp'ers who post on the forums and the total number of happy players who enjoy the changes.

Thanks for posting, and for taking time to support this thread!

You're just about the only person I know of that's happy with the changes to the level 55 game. Wait, I don't want to assume... Do you pvp at 55 right now?

You're just about the only person I know of that's happy with the changes to the level 55 game. Wait, I don't want to assume... Do you pvp at 55 right now?

Yep. I have 3 toons with 2 at 55. I've seen quite a few people on these same forums who like 2.0 too, friend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.