Woot! Good to be back! Got some game questions:

ReckonerH

So I finally bought a new PC that can actually run this game smoothly! A friend of mine, who also just got a new computer and missed out on the game entirely up until this point, convinced me to sub with him.

My questions:

-From my understanding the old lv 50 pvp gear is useless. In fact more than useless, I hear it gimps you due to the bolster system? So should I just stop wearing those pieces entirely? And what should be the first set I buy now?

-Is there any reason to buy the expansion before we reach end game? I plan on getting it eventually once i reach lv 50, but seeing as Im about to start on a new character to accompany my friend as he levels his first character, is there any reason to buy it now?

-And lastly, has duel speccing been implemented yet?

Thanks

I don't PvP so I cannot help you with that one =)

You don't need the expansion yet, unless you want to gather achievements while you lvl, there is a new achievement system in place now.

No dual-spec at the moment, but if you buy field-respec it is quite ok. Then you don't have to go to fleet in order to try something new.

Welcome back and have fun!

PvE armor > PvP armor in the broken bolter system. As always try to get the best gear possible (which sadly the old end game 50 gear is removed).

If you want to get to level 55 and get better gear, you should buy the DLC.

But be warned: Clicking on your ship's holoterminal activates a sequence that takes you to Makeb, which takes place after your chapter 3. So from 47+ you can go there but it acts like you completed you story already, even if you didn't. So if you want to avoid spoilers I'd avoid hitting the terminal and avoiding Makeb unless you have another mission that requires it / complete Chapter 3 for your character(s).

-From my understanding the old lv 50 pvp gear is useless. In fact more than useless, I hear it gimps you due to the bolster system? So should I just stop wearing those pieces entirely? And what should be the first set I buy now?

No longer true. For a brief period of time, the system was bugged. Sub-55 PvP gear is "useless" in the sense that it is no longer PvP gear -- they removed the expertise from it. Bolster is *almost* working properly now, and is being patched again next week.

-Is there any reason to buy the expansion before we reach end game? I plan on getting it eventually once i reach lv 50, but seeing as Im about to start on a new character to accompany my friend as he levels his first character, is there any reason to buy it now?

Everything included in the Expac adds on to the end of the game. The only things you will be missing:

Level 51-55 and all included content (Makeb + Ops + 55 HM FPs)

Crafting from 400-450

You can safely level from 1-50 and not notice anything missing.

Technically, yes AND no.

We currently have "Field Respec" as an unlockable character perk. This allows you to reset all talent points with the click of a button, no matter where you are. It functions much like dual-spec, but doesn't save your bars or points. Once you get the hang of swapping (if you do so often) it takes under a minute or so to fully switch (depending on roles).

Welcome back, and have fun!

You don't need the expansion yet, unless you want to gather achievements while you lvl, there is a new achievement system in place now.

I thought the achievement system was part of 2.0 and thus free for everyone? Hmm, did the entire 2.0 simply become Makeb then? I could've sworn they said they were separate at some point. :confused:

No longer true. For a brief period of time, the system was bugged. Sub-55 PvP gear is "useless" in the sense that it is no longer PvP gear -- they removed the expertise from it. Bolster is *almost* working properly now, and is being patched again next week.

Yeah, don't get too bound up in the current drama around bolster. It launched with bugs.. but they will get them sorted out and the PvP will slide into the working as intended track (people will still QQ about it of course, but for the audacity of the developers to not design the PvP for each persons personal desires, that's a different beast entirely).

Where they are going in PvP is to make it so that gear does not win PvP... skill+teamwork+gear wins PvP. And personally, that is how I feel it should be. They just need to finish removing a few bugs here and there.

I thought the achievement system was part of 2.0 and thus free for everyone? Hmm, did the entire 2.0 simply become Makeb then? I could've sworn they said they were separate at some point. :confused:

Achievement system is available to everyone ,no need to buy ROTHC for it.

Did they update all 50 PVP gear to remove expertise, or just (Elite) War Hero? Just to be sure OP, I would suggest checking your PVP gear and if it has any expertise on it then don't use it, unless of course it's the new 55 PVP gear.

Don't use PvP gear with expertise on it in pre-55. WH and EWH had thier expertise removed, so they are fine. If you still have centurion, champ, or BM, they will now gimp you since they still have expertise. Expertise is now only for level cap.

Did they update all 50 PVP gear to remove expertise, or just (Elite) War Hero? Just to be sure OP, I would suggest checking your PVP gear and if it has any expertise on it then don't use it, unless of course it's the new 55 PVP gear.
actually i seen an old centurion pvp still with expertise on it

I don't PvP so I cannot help you with that one =)

Achievements are part of 2.0 for free, you don't need RotHC to gather them.

Yeah, don't get too bound up in the current drama around bolster. It launched with bugs.. but they will get them sorted out and the PvP will slide into the working as intended track (people will still QQ about it of course, but for the audacity of the developers to not design the PvP for each persons personal desires, that's a different beast entirely).

The major issue with the current system is that there is a significant exploit that is being exploited on a regular basis...and they don't punish exploiters or do anything about it. If they are not going to punish anybody for using it, they should let everybody know about it so that everybody has a chance to enter the warzone on even terms.

The major issue with the current system is that there is a significant exploit that is being exploited on a regular basis...and they don't punish exploiters or do anything about it. If they are not going to punish anybody for using it, they should let everybody know about it so that everybody has a chance to enter the warzone on even terms.

The augment exploit is certainly not "significant." It is NOWHERE near as bad as what we saw on the PTS.

And, they've announced that it is being fixed in 2.1, which released Tuesday.

Surprisingly, I've seen very few people on my server using it -- and even those who are, still aren't doing any better in PvP.

My questions:

Sub-55, use PVE gear (there are no sub-55 pvp vendors). At 55, you can purchase pvp gear (has expertise). There are two tiers of 55 pvp gear: partisan and conqueror. WH and EWH gear no longer have any expertise - they just removed it. Bolster is now being used in 55 pvp, so it has some interesting side effects. For example, wearing a full set of the partisan may not give you as good of pvp stats as wearing half partisan, half pve. Also, there is a bug relating to augments that is being exploited by some.

For pvp, each class gets a really cool new ability at 51. Sub-55 pvp may be more fun than 55, depending on your preferences and how often you encounter people exploiting the augment bug, so it may actually behoove you to avoid the expansion and stay in sub-55 pvp bliss until they fix it.

Like somebody else said, you can unlock the ability to field re-spec (which is pretty cool). However, you can't change your gear attributes. So, if you have tank gear and want to re-spec to dps, you can't change your gear attributes.

Thanks

My responses in red.

EDIT: Refer to Kilora's posts for my mix-ups. Also, you get a cool new ability at 51*, not 55. My bad.

Edited by teclado

Sub-55, use PVE gear (there are no sub-55 pvp vendors). At 55, you can purchase pvp gear (has expertise). There are two tiers of 55 pvp gear: partisan and conqueror. WH and EWH gear no longer have any expertise - they just removed it. Bolster is now being used in 55 pvp, so it has some interesting side effects. For example, wearing a full set of the partisan may not give you as good of pvp stats as wearing half partisan, half pve. Also, there is a bug relating to augments that is being exploited by some.

Just wanted to touch on this quickly. There *ARE* sub-55 "PvP" vendors. The PvP vendors located on Dromund Kass (and Coruscant) were not removed from the game. They still sell the old PvP gear -- although as you stated, the expertise was removed from them all.

PvE gear was fixed -- it no longer gives better stats bolstered than Partisan gear.

Said before -- but augment will (hopefully) be fully fixed on Tuesday. *fingers crossed*

Where they are going in PvP is to make it so that gear does not win PvP... skill+teamwork+gear wins PvP. And personally, that is how I feel it should be. They just need to finish removing a few bugs here and there.

PvP is a bigger mess than you let on - they've overcomplicated things, tried to fix things, and failed at every turn. I suggest you read this reply to get a better understanding of the frustrations PvPers are feeling:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6261220&postcount=1526

PvP is a bigger mess than you let on - they've overcomplicated things, tried to fix things, and failed at every turn. I suggest you read this reply to get a better understanding of the frustrations PvPers are feeling:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6261220&postcount=1526

Funny, though, how all but one of those was fixed incredibly quickly. And now, the final one will be fixed in under a week.

I'm not saying they don't have a reason to complain -- but it doesn't matter to someone JUST coming back into the game. They don't have to deal with anything except for the augment problem, which will be fixed in 6 days.

Funny, though, how all but one of those was fixed incredibly quickly. And now, the final one will be fixed in under a week.

I'm not saying they don't have a reason to complain -- but it doesn't matter to someone JUST coming back into the game. They don't have to deal with anything except for the augment problem, which will be fixed in 6 days.

Hopefully you're right - given their past performance, there's plenty of reason for me to remain skeptical.

SWTOR is a very fun, I'll be here for the foreseeable future, I have no plans/desire to play anything else - but it has problems that I think are foolish to ignore.

Hopefully you're right - given their past performance, there's plenty of reason for me to remain skeptical.

SWTOR is a very fun, I'll be here for the foreseeable future, I have no plans/desire to play anything else - but it has problems that I think are foolish to ignore.

I don't see many people ignoring the problems, though. Bugs are an expected problem in any game that does regular updates.

The fact that we got a MASSIVE amount of bug fixes in the 2.0.1 patch -- and that they have responsed and quickly fixed issues that we've reported -- should give you a little more optimism. *Recently* they have done a MUCH better job.

Granted, it is still quite reactionary, as opposed to pre-emptive. I hope that can change -- unless they want to start paying us consumers for being the QA team :-D

I don't see many people ignoring the problems, though. Bugs are an expected problem in any game that does regular updates.

The fact that we got a MASSIVE amount of bug fixes in the 2.0.1 patch -- and that they have responsed and quickly fixed issues that we've reported -- should give you a little more optimism. *Recently* they have done a MUCH better job.

Granted, it is still quite reactionary, as opposed to pre-emptive. I hope that can change -- unless they want to start paying us consumers for being the QA team :-D

It's frustration because people can do a test server, report bugs, and those bugs go live anyhow. And this isn't the only game that does it. More do this than those who push things back to fix the bugs before going live.

I received the free spectacularly ugly PVP set off of the terminal way back in the day at level cap. I still have the complete set.

Should I just get rid of it now? I kept it just in case I wanted to try PVP again one day, but if it's useless now I'd rather vendor it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.