DPS need to step up

When I run pugs on my healer and tank (never bother queueing as dps), it's always the tank or healer communicating. If I don't know a fight or a FP in general, the dps NEVER offer advice or strats. I always think of the two dps players in my group as a couple of trained chimps. If you are dps, check the other dps if they're not giving the tank a sec to establish aggro or pulling for the tank, etc. Or just doing stupid s*** in general. Only dps can fix their bad reps at this point.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bad players regardless of role. I often run into tanks who think they are in warzones, running around like chickens with their heads cut off and guarding the healer when the dps is pulling aggro 1 minute into the fight. I've ran into healers who somehow couldn't master their 4 button "rotation" There are just going to be bad players no matter if they are a tank, heal, or dps.

I agree 100% stupid is stupid, can't avoid it., But dps never contribute vocally.I can't remember the last time a dps laid out a boss strat or gave good feedback. Plenty of dps will nerd rage and say they have geared tanks or healers, but can't be bothered to properly dps or contribute.

I have seen some very good dps players that have lead groups through both Operations and Flashpoints. However Jimvinny actually does have a point, all of the good dps leaders I know also have toons that perform different roles. I am a selfish self-centered jerk that refuses to run a tank (even though my second toon to 50 was a shadow). My main is a Sawbones, also have agent healer and am now leveling a Seer. I know would have never considered leading a group from just my knowledge of a instances from my healer, but having seen the fights now from both a healer and a dps perspective I have starting co-leading operations on my DPS for our guild. Running different roles really helps you understand the game mechanics and make you better at your primary role, plus improves your group because it allows you find ways to make the other group members roles easier. I know on DPS I often get complements from healers for not only using aggro dump and defensive cooldowns, but using them at the right time. I know the right time because of running stuff on my healer first. So if someone only runs one role, they either need to read a lot, or they are going to have trouble telling healers and tanks what needs to be done in any given fight.

So my guess is DPS that does not speak up, does not know. Which is preferable to one of the alternatives, they don’t know, but speak up.

Edited by mikebevo

My main is a dps. I've had dps mains in some 70, 80% of the MMOGs I've played (and believe me, it's a LOT).

I am raid leader for my guild, I routinely give tactics when needed, I have led pug raids through stuff.

Pre conceived ideas are stupid.

Then again, in FPs if I see the tank or the healer are not up to the task, I simply react accordingly and prevent their mistakes. Unless people are failing miserably or are completely clueless, there often isn't a reason for me to actually speak up, while simply acting is faster and gets the job done too.

since there are 2x as many DPS per team than tanks/heals it stands to reason you have twice as likely a chance at running into bads.

Plus the fact that DPS is the mindless button mashing specs most younger/dumber people find easier to play means that the pool you are drawing from has been peed in many times.

the idea of this thread is pretty dumb

How so? DPS are generally lazy, in my experience. I am commenting on that. They also take the brunt of the complaints regarding bad player base. If the good dps step up and check the poor players more often, we all benefit. Too often do tanks and healers carry the workload in a FP.

My main's a DPS. But I'm usually the one that ends up explaining the fights in HM FPs and ops to inexperienced tanks. I actually don't remember the last time I ran HM LI without having to talk the tank through it, and I used to be Tactics Girl for an imp side guild's raiding 101 ops groups. I have healer and tank alts but I don't play them very much.

When I do get into a group with tanks that know what they're doing, then I sit back and let the tank outline her tactics before fights because, you know, she's the tank and she presumably has an idea about what she's doing. Best to let her do it the way she knows. Too many cooks spoil the soup. Only if a tank says something that directly contradicts something I know about a given fight's mechanics will I step in and offer advice.

My main's a DPS. But I'm usually the one that ends up explaining the fights in HM FPs and ops to inexperienced tanks. I actually don't remember the last time I ran HM LI without having to talk the tank through it, and I used to be Tactics Girl for an imp side guild's raiding 101 ops groups. I have healer and tank alts but I don't play them very much.

When I do get into a group with tanks that know what they're doing, then I sit back and let the tank outline her tactics before fights because, you know, she's the tank and she presumably has an idea about what she's doing. Best to let her do it the way she knows. Too many cooks spoil the soup. Only if a tank says something that directly contradicts something I know about a given fight's mechanics will I step in and offer advice.

this is the real reason because you don't notice a good dps..

someway things should go like:

hi

hi

hi

hi

kill run kill run kill run kill loot

thanks bye

there is quite a range of players you can find and various method to measure how good they are..there are pugs that lead anywhere from the first two seconds and others who can be saved by some advice to right player...

How so? DPS are generally lazy, in my experience. I am commenting on that. They also take the brunt of the complaints regarding bad player base. If the good dps step up and check the poor players more often, we all benefit. Too often do tanks and healers carry the workload in a FP.

Because being bad isn't exclusive to what role you play, neither is being lazy. I've had bad tanks, dps, and healers as pugs and they're all equally as bad. I'd rather have a lazy dps who does nothing but hit his buttons than a terrible tank who doesn't know the fights, won't admit he doesn't and can't hold threat or a sage healer that's constantly out of force because he only uses his thingy for an instant salvation instead of noble sacrifice.

Edited by bigheadbrandon

Recently there's more and more FPs where there's no need to say more than "hi" and "thx all" during the whole thing. Personally I have no problem to explain things, but if somebody starts to do that quicker, I won't repeat it. But anyway, I don't care what you think DPS's reputation is like.

Tbh, now that I think about it, I do explain less boss tactics on my dps (I have characters for all roles). Reasons would probably be, though:

1. I just do more ops and fps on my tanks and healers, since they get faster pops. I don't always have the patience to wait for a queue to pop with my dps.

2. Unless I'm (in gf pug) assigned automatically as the leader/no one else seems to take the charge, I won't try to lead the group. And it seems to be that whoever takes the leader's part, usually ends up explaining the tactics. Just came from a gf pug, and no one seemed to take the charge, so I took it, and I also explained the boss tactics. But I was on my tank, so I guess that doesn't count.

My main is a dps. I've had dps mains in some 70, 80% of the MMOGs I've played (and believe me, it's a LOT).

I am raid leader for my guild, I routinely give tactics when needed, I have led pug raids through stuff.

Pre conceived ideas are stupid.

Then again, in FPs if I see the tank or the healer are not up to the task, I simply react accordingly and prevent their mistakes. Unless people are failing miserably or are completely clueless, there often isn't a reason for me to actually speak up, while simply acting is faster and gets the job done too.

My main is a dps, too.

But after I rolled a healer and started healing endgame content, my ability as a player went way up. It also made me more situationally aware when I would go back to dpsing.

When I got around to rolling a tank and tanking endgame content, my ability as a player went way up again. I actually became a better healer AND a better dps.

A dps that CAN tank and that CAN heal could surely lead a group. A dps that can't do EITHER would make a terrible leader.

Since you're a successful leader, I wouldn't be surprised at all that you could probably heal and tank perfectly well, but just choose to dps. Am I right?

When I run pugs on my healer and tank (never bother queueing as dps), it's always the tank or healer communicating. If I don't know a fight or a FP in general, the dps NEVER offer advice or strats. I always think of the two dps players in my group as a couple of trained chimps. If you are dps, check the other dps if they're not giving the tank a sec to establish aggro or pulling for the tank, etc. Or just doing stupid s*** in general. Only dps can fix their bad reps at this point.

Don't insult chimps. A DPS with the I.Q of a chimp....would be an improvement.:eek:

Well the times I have offered advice its usually the tank saying I know how to do this if you don't like it go sit inanother que. IMO most tanks have this weird sense of " I am the only person who matters here besides maybe the healer" so it goes both ways. And to op thanks for posting yet another thread that makes my latter statement even more true.

I have 4 55's atm and I play all roles of the trinity. Not all players are so bold to come and post some sort of EPEEN post comparing a person mental state to the classes they play. Its a game get over it, don't like your group, you always have the option to leave.

Edited by Philastra

Because being bad isn't exclusive to what role you play, neither is being lazy. I've had bad tanks, dps, and healers as pugs and they're all equally as bad. I'd rather have a lazy dps who does nothing but hit his buttons than a terrible tank who doesn't know the fights, won't admit he doesn't and can't hold threat or a sage healer that's constantly out of force because he only uses his thingy for an instant salvation instead of noble sacrifice.

Excellent points! As a dps, do you offer advice or do you get all crab assy like you are here?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.