Cool unwearable armor models

ScarecrowES

Hi all. I was trying to have this discussion in general chat in-game, but unfortunately I was being hounded by an individual who simply couldn't wrap his head around what I was talking about. I'm almost certain he was trolling me, and was doing such a fantastic job that it was actually preventing other people from getting what I was talking about, so hopefully I can start a better discussion here about armor models in the game, especially cool looking ones, that cannot be worn by players.

Here's the technicals of the matter...

Many armor items in the game... in fact most of the basic ones, have a different appearance... a whole completely different model... for each faction. When a Republic player looks at an item on the GTN for instance, he will see a completely different item than a player from the Imperial side. The item will have the same name... be listed by the same player for the same price, but players from each faction will see a completely different item when they look at it in their faction's markets. Different model, different colors, etc. In fact, each faction has models that are completely unique to that faction. A Republic player will never see that model available for a Republic player to wear, for instance, and vice versa. A good example is the "Despot" style helmet. This style of helmet is a common model for helmets on the Imperial side, but cannot be found anywhere on the Republic side, unless as a part of the Cartel Market "Despot" armor set. Another example would be the Mandalorian style helmets.

Now, my complaint here is NOT that each faction has unique gear, or that each faction sees a different model for the same item. Bare that in mind. My complaint is how that is handled when a particular piece of gear is locked to a particular class.

You see, if a piece of gear is locked to a Jedi Knight, for example, no other class can wear that piece of gear. A trooper couldn't wear it. Nor could an Imperial Bounty Hunter. However, the trooper will see the same version of that item that the Knight does. Both will see the Republic model of that item. An Imperial player, however, will see an Imperial version of that item... but no Imperial player can ever actually wear that version, because the item itself is locked to a Knight, and the Republic players will wear the Republic version of that item. In a sense, no player can then wear the opposite faction model of a class-locked piece of gear.

Are you following me so far? Because apparently that last bit was the one my "troll" was unable or unwilling to come to terms with when we were in general chat.

Now, because of this system... certain armor models being unique to factions, and then certain armor items being locked to classes, there are rare occasions when a certain type of model becomes unique to a piece of gear or a series of gear which is completely locked out for the opposite faction. In some cases, there are models which only appear on one faction's version of a piece of gear but that item is locked to a class of the opposing faction. Thus, in those rare cases, no player on either side may wear that model of gear, even if the item itself (with a completely different model) is wearable by one faction or the other.

Still with me? I hope so.

One example I can come up with, though I cannot recall the name, is a particular orange-grade helmet that is class-locked to the Jedi Knight. On the Republic side, the model is a simple headband... little different than the myriad other headband types available to Republic players. On the Empire side, though, the model for that same item is a version of Revan's Mask. The texture work on the face-piece of the mask itself has been redone, so the details of the mask no longer have the Mandalorian look of Revan's Mask, and it lacks the chrome-type forehead of that mask as well... but the general shape of the face-piece is the same, with the sharply contoured cheekbone curves and all. And the remaining portions of the helmet... everything but the face-piece, remains identical to Revan's Mask, with the same texture work and coloring as that mask. However, this exact model of helmet is not available on any other item I have seen on the Imperial side, though there are some items which are built on the same basic model... and clearly neither the basic model or this particular version of it appears at all on the Republic side.

Thus, even though the item itself can be bought and worn as a headband by any Jedi Knight, no Republic player could buy a mask that looks like the one seen on the Imperial side (other than Revan's Mask itself). But because the item itself is locked to a Jedi Knight, even though Imperial players can see the "Revan's Mask" model version of that item no player on the Imperial side may wear the mask either. Thus, while that particular model appears in the game, no player can actually wear it.

I find this sad - for this particular model, as well as several others that find themselves in similar circumstances.

I get what you're trying to say and it's true, armour models appear differently depending what side you play.

A good example is the new Troublemaker Duster, a chestpiece that was released in the Vice Commandant pack. It looked exacly the same as several other chestpieces that were available and craftable on the Imperial side. The Republic players, however, could never wear these long black coats because on the Republic side it looked completely different. That's why the Troublemaker set was so popular - for the first time, Republic Smugglers (and other classes) could finally get that awesome long black coat. I have a Chiss gunslinger that wears it now. It was totally worth it. As a roleplayer more than a MMO player, how my character looks and what he wears is of the utmost importance.

I'm definitely looking forward to unlocking that duster account wide once 2.1 hits. It's been the signature look for my Gault, although he doesn't wear a moddable version yet, and that will soon change :cool: I also plan on using this particular model on my new Cathar Assassin and probably dye it in a different colour. The possibilities are endless.

Thus, while that particular model appears in the game, no player can actually wear it.

As an orange piece maybe, have you checked that the model doesn't exist somewhere for Empire as a green or blue, either quest reward or a drop ?

Also, funnily some very nice models are companions only and on slots that don't show for that companion : one example is the droid (T7 for example) that can use a pistol that many MANY smugglers or BHs have asked the look of (see third row on that pic) and that can't be obtained yet to be wield by a player (see, we have zillion versions for the first 2 rows, zero for the third, for players that is). And in the case of that particular blaster, unless am mistaken, the very first time we've been able to actually see it was since the release of the expansion and for Dr Lokin...

EDIT : hmmm seems Malavai Quinn may have one available from before the expansion, but lvl 27 orange hmmmm... Unlikely though... And look at this very nice orange lvl 31 version for Vette... Hmmmmm... Odd... i don't remember companions having such low lvl orange weapons, but I could be wrong...

Also, not all class-locked items have the duo looks. The class specific world drops for example can be previewed by both factions and give the same result in the dress room. Stuff like the vendetta set, etc...

Edited by Shoogli

Also, funnily some very nice models are companions only

This came to mind when I read the OP too. I tend to have a bad habit of keeping my companions properly geared through mods and stuff, so a lot of the times I just end up taking the green companion quest rewards (I know this is inefficient). It bothers me because some of these sets are really good looking! I've even refused to change a green chestpiece for longer than I should just because I liked the look of it.

IMO, all green armor should be moddable and not tied to any companion/class. I also dont think there should be any faction restricted armor like what the OP is referring to. There doesnt even need to be an alternate set for the other side.

And a lot might disagree with me on this but I would even take it a step further. I'd like to see ALL armor in the game adaptive. You can already make your class look like another class through the CM, so why not take it a step further with all items in the game.

As an orange piece maybe, have you checked that the model doesn't exist somewhere for Empire as a green or blue, either quest reward or a drop ?

Also, funnily some very nice models are companions only and on slots that don't show for that companion : one example is the droid (T7 for example) that can use a pistol that many MANY smugglers or BHs have asked the look of (see third row on that pic) and that can't be obtained yet to be wield by a player (see, we have zillion versions for the first 2 rows, zero for the third, for players that is). And in the case of that particular blaster, unless am mistaken, the very first time we've been able to actually see it was since the release of the expansion and for Dr Lokin...

EDIT : hmmm seems Malavai Quinn may have one available from before the expansion, but lvl 27 orange hmmmm... Unlikely though... And look at this very nice orange lvl 31 version for Vette... Hmmmmm... Odd... i don't remember companions having such low lvl orange weapons, but I could be wrong...

Also, not all class-locked items have the duo looks. The class specific world drops for example can be previewed by both factions and give the same result in the dress room. Stuff like the vendetta set, etc...

I can't speak to the non-custom versions of armor-series, as once I hit a level high enough to buy moddables, I never look back.

I can tell you there is a similar mask for Sith... something like a "Maruader's Mask," or similar name, with the imp model. This is also much like the Revan's Mask for every part except the face-plate, but also has a different look on the face-plate than the model they used for the Jedi-only one. To me, I can only describe the Jedi one as looking like what Revan's Mask might look like without a seperate face-plate. More integrated-looking. I tried to find it today to show folks in general chat what I meant, but couldn't find any of the Knight-exclusive helms at the time.

I dunno... I just thought it was funny, when I discovered the mask the other day, that there wasn't actually anyone in the game who could wear that particular model/texture set.

And I imagine that, unlike the duster, because the mask is based on the most hightly sought-after item in the game (Revan's Mask), it's unlikely we'd see a more openly available version become available.

And I imagine that, unlike the duster, because the mask is based on the most hightly sought-after item in the game (Revan's Mask), it's unlikely we'd see a more openly available version become available.

I wouldn't be so sure :jawa_smile: !

I don't remember who it was but it's been stated they're going to add the eradicator mask in the CM as a single direct buy item (like for example the gamorean axe).

I'll edit later to insert the link if I find it.

EDIT : oh found it ! Here and here ! Update 2.1 !

Oh and in case you were wondering, the "glamourous" version of this mask can be seen here.

(well glamourous if you don't get kicked in the teeth, that is...)

Edited by Shoogli

I wouldn't be so sure :jawa_smile: !

I don't remember who it was but it's been stated they're going to add the eradicator mask in the CM as a single direct buy item (like for example the gamorean axe).

I'll edit later to insert the link if I find it.

EDIT : oh found it ! Here and here !

That's actually pretty cool, but you gotta admit the set looks silly without the mask.

That's actually pretty cool, but you gotta admit the set looks silly without the mask.

I dunnow :jawa_redface: !

I bought the complete set from the GTN and stored it in a vault for later use but didn't quite check...

Also bought the gloves for later use for a scoundrel (suckerpunch with eradicator's gloves anyone ?)

:jawa_biggrin:

Oh and here's an even more glamorous pic ha ha...

Oh and if you look at 0:26 on that video it shows exactly how it will render in game btw.

Edited by Shoogli

generally from my experience the sets that are locked to a certain class have the same set locked to their opposite faction mirror.

in other words if there is a set that is locked to a jedi knight there will also be one locked to the sith warrior and if you preview them from their opposite faction they share the armor design.

I think I found the one you're talking about

the Sentinel Elite head piece is the republic version

the Marauder Elite headpiece is the Sith version

if you preview either piece on the republic side it will show as a headband but if you preview either piece on sith side it is a mask

there is also a BOE drop that shares the same armor design and I have it on my Operative

http://www.torhead.com/item/d2wwpa4/force-sentinel-headgear

but I think it still changes it appearance depending on with faction you view it from

Im actually working on a collection of suggested changes that I will be shortly posting online to things like helmets, headgear and armor. I had to change quite a few because we are going to have color change shortly, so no need for those suggestions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.