So whats my intial reaction after my first full night of SWTOR?

Davuk

Decided to jump over from wow and try Swtor. So whats my intial reaction after my first full night of SWTOR?

26GB DOWNLOAD IN 112 SEPARATE INSTALLS WITHOUT ANY SENSE OF PROGRESS ARE YOU CO CO FOR COCO PUFFS.

So after asset 1 10 G I thought woot I get to play . Wait no there's another..

OK 2's installed here we go ... oh wait there's another one.

OK 3's done Star Wars here I come oh wait .... add nausea.

111 done and now just to drive you over a wall 112 is 2.5GB

FREAKING REALLY?

Anyone ever heard of a progress bar? Stop taking lesson from microsoft how hard is it to put 100 of 112 or whatever it is?

Been siting here for 4 hours thinking I could play any minute just to get another install followed by another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another just to finally write a forum post to ask.

How many of these stupid assets are there?

The game can take a very long time to download depending on your connection. At home I downloaded in 2.5 hours. At the office, 12. It's a very big game and is absolutely worth the wait. Welcome aboard.

My client is currently at 22.1 GB. Feel bloody lucky. On my connection it took me two straight days to download tor on launch at 120kbps. Yeah. HOWEVER, it does go considerably faster once you get the biggest pieces done. You're in the home stretch.

Further, looking in my assets folder, there are 95 items. That may or may not help you get a picture of where you're standing.

Edited by CyberTronX

oh wait after 114 main assets it started over and starts counting again with English assets. What the hecks the point of the progress bar? This is bad very bad. For a first impression its terrible. I accept that the game is big and if it all has to load I'm good with that but anything else (non-Microsoft) has a progress bar. So you know how long until it completes its ui design 101 give feedback to the user that your doing something as well as feedback of how much remains to be done.

The download UI needs a total size / timer counter I agree completely. There is a per file bar right above the large one at the bottom, but it won't tell you the size of the entire download that's left. What I can tell you is that the English Assets files were among the last I had to get, if I can remember the process. It was over a year ago.

I wish the game had a "play as you load" option like some of the other MMOs, but with some it's just not possible.

Edited by CyberTronX

So From what I can tell for the next poor schmuke that trades in an lfr dps que for swtor install as of 5/6/2013 its

114 main assests

followed by

116 english assests

followed by

about 100 Game Client assets

Considering these are all close to the same number I wouldn't be surprised to find there are 116+ of each some just go to fast for me to see.

At the end of it all the Download client makes a sound. So start the download and go Que for TOT LFR when you hear the distinctly Star Wars power up sound your GTG.

Again if anyone on SWTOR Staff reads this PLEASE add a freaking overall progress bar. Or at bare minimum post the number of each type pf file in the patch notes I spent a better part of 1 hour during my 5 hours of progress bar hell searching for any place that told me how many files I had to download.

I did the exact same as you - looked around for someone who had posted just how many of each file I had to go through. Anyway, glad it's done for you now, and welcome to the game! If you have questions about anything related to the game, go ahead and post em' in the forums. Can talk to me in-game or in a PM if you like as well, I'm always happy to help newer players.

Again welcome aboard :)

I only thought the pain was over. The download is done but now when I start game I get a splash screen of a sith and a chick which sits for a minute or two (downloading more I assume) and then I get the nicest color of pink with a yellow arrow in the middle. The sound track of music on the see shore is nice but for some reason after 5 hours and 22 GB I expected more then a pink screen a yellow mouse pointer and a sound track.

All things considered I should have just que'd for lfr. thanks for the help though Im done for the night. 5.5 hours of swtor and all I got to show for it was a pink screen with really good music. :D

But in the mean time I bought 5500 credit cause I hade nothing to else to do read endless blogs about how great the game is and purchased a wonderful training robot, a dancing chik with tenticles and a mount for $4.99. perhaps I could see them if they came in pink.

Think we'll mark this swtor attempt up to fail maybe i'll try again when I forget that this actually IS more painful then waiting in a lfr Q.

Way to go being a good sport. I raged so hard the first time I installed swtor. The download process went fast with my connection (100mbps) but installation took forever! Took twice as long as downloading did. Never seen that with any other game. After all the rage though, and I was finally able to get in game, it was ALL worth it. I love this game :)

I Must be a lucky one, because My re-install, due to a corrupted Chat Key Bind took only 1h hour 15 mins, the other day.

I think its also Down to What you using Internet wise.

I am on probably the fastest Fibre Optic Connection in UK, with VirginMedia.

But That doesn't guarantee me the quoted speed, its also to do with how far you are from Your

nearest providers Network hardware. If I lived a long way out of town, I probably wouldn't be getting Most downloads

at more than 980meg a second, Which I do at times Using Emule.

Must admit, wouldn't like to be tied to a telephone Broadband connection again, that's always pretty slow, because of the restrictions of how much data can be streamed down very thin telephone wiring, plus extensions eat up a lot of bandwidth using phone line Broadband.

I well remember installing WoW years ago with a telephone based Broadband, and that literally took all night, hence had to leave the computer on till 4am in the morning:eek:

I highly reccomend picking up a physical copy of the game. It cuts download times by about 70%. The physical copy has everything from V1.0 then all you have to download is up to the latest version. Trust me its alot faster. you cut down on your download time by about 2 hours or more.

my download wasn't so bad for this game well not for me anyway as I know my net is rather pants so I expected it to take a while and was done after 2 x 4 hour downloads so wasn't so bad for me i just let it get on with it and haven't really looked back i rather enjoy the game unlike most people who just seem to ***** about anything and all lol but yer i may not be the best player on the game but i sure do give it my all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.