Protection For a Vanguard in PvP

Kormad

I'm aware this is a minor thing, but I'm curious as to the reasoning behind why, on my Vanguard, whenever I use my Ion Pulse or Explosive Surge, which lowers their damage dealt when talented in to it (which in this case I am), I do not receive Protection. It reduces the damage that target can do, similar to that of my taunts, which obviously give me Protection.

This probably can occur with other tank classes/specs, so I'm curious why this would not give me Protection when it acts similarly to taunts.

Thanks. :D

It does not simply because if you go Pyro, spec into said talent, and spam Ion Pulse (and don't taunt) you will not get Protection. Also, in a Huttball, if I'm carrying the ball (which I typically am), I'm spamming Explosive Surge, and yet do not get Protection. I can't provide any pictures or anything to prove it does not-only the fact that I talented into it as a Pyro for one game, didn't taunt (that was painfully hard to do), and played a normal game. Afterwards, I had no Protection.

Either way, if I taunt a DPS then use Ion Pulse on them, I'm going to lose Protection points because they now do 5% less damage for my taunt to absorb. So I'm preventing damage from being done, doing my job, and losing Protection points for it? That just seems stupid. If I'm going to lose Protection points by doing my job give me credit for all the abilities I can use to lower damage being dealt at least.

Going to be honest, reason I'm taking an interest in this is because I did 944k Protection recently...I can't help but feel that the combination of Explosive Surge and my taunt caused me to lose a lot of Protection points.

Thanks for any input you can give, really want to see what other people think about this kind of thing in general.

This is one of my pet peeves of the PT mechanics, and I agree it should be calculated into protection.

I can confirm that it is currently not calculated in, as I have used it in HEGC stance and have purposefully not used taunts in a game and ended the game with 0 protection.

It's a zero-visibility talent, which sucks.

This is one of my pet peeves of the PT mechanics, and I agree it should be calculated into protection.

I can confirm that it is currently not calculated in, as I have used it in HEGC stance and have purposefully not used taunts in a game and ended the game with 0 protection.

It's a zero-visibility talent, which sucks.

Yeah, it does suck doing our job makes us look worse at it, eh? :p It's cool to see I'm not the only one that this annoys.

Also confirming this.

5% isn't a dealbreaker, but as mentioned above, it does actually count AGAINST your protection score when used. You're reducing damage output by 35% when used in conjunction with taunts, but you're only getting credited for 30%. Again, not a big deal, but it does add up over the course of a match.

In the above example, 944k is 95% of 1 million. That extra 5% would've put him very near or even over the 1 million protection mark had it been calculated.

Wither (5% damage debuff that's basically always on) never counted as protection so don't see why the similar version for other classes would matter.

Protection only counts for taunts and guards. Sure you can argue there are other stuff that does the same thing as Protection, but the game simply doesn't count them. You can say spec so that sleep dart debuffs the enemy after it wears off. Thta is obviously going to reduce the damage they do but you sure won't ever see an Op with Protection numbers.

I also think it's fair to point out that at with Explosive Surge and Ion Pulse, if I hit a target that I don't end up taunting, that's some Protection I should be getting credit for but I don't. I think I speak for all PT and VG tanks out there in saying we would love to see those numbers tacked onto our Protection score. It's a little thing, as said previously-but it something we should get credit for.

Wither (5% damage debuff that's basically always on) never counted as protection so don't see why the similar version for other classes would matter.

Protection only counts for taunts and guards. Sure you can argue there are other stuff that does the same thing as Protection, but the game simply doesn't count them. You can say spec so that sleep dart debuffs the enemy after it wears off. Thta is obviously going to reduce the damage they do but you sure won't ever see an Op with Protection numbers.

Really, to be honest, I don't see why that doesn't count for Protection either. If it works in the same way as abilities that give you Protection, they should give you Protection. Same thing for the Operative Sleep Dart. I could care less if Operatives can get a few thousand points worth of Protection- if it's what their abilities are doing, they should get credit for it.

Edited by Kormad

The problem with the -5% damage from ennemies is that it's also benefic to yourself too, and it seems that protection only counts damage reducers that cannot affect you such as taunts and "guard".

I can understand that reducing your own incoming damage isn't protecting, and that it may be hard for the server to sort the loss of damage due to a debuff depending it was benefic to the owner of the bebuff or another player. (not sure I was able to be clear with this sentence)

So that's why I'm not surprised this kind of debuffs do not count towards protection at all.

Edited by Altheran

I like to use my Healing Debuff on my Sniper, lots.

It never counts as damage done though..... All those heals cut short.

Fight the power. We demand equal representation on the Scoreboard. F U Lethality Snipers. Go hide behind your developer! /rude

The problem with the -5% damage from ennemies is that it's also benefic to yourself too, and it seems that protection only counts damage reducers that cannot affect you such as taunts and "guard".

I can understand that reducing your own incoming damage isn't protecting, and that it may be hard for the server to sort the loss of damage due to a debuff depending it was benefic to the owner of the bebuff or another player. (not sure I was able to be clear with this sentence)

So that's why I'm not surprised this kind of debuffs do not count towards protection at all.

That's a valid point and that's probably why it is the way it is. But still, our Protection numbers get lowered because of this, when we need to use it to be a good tank. So we're just supposed to deal with the fact we lose 5% Protection if we taunt a target with the debuff one them, and if they're a strong DPS, always will? That doesn't make sense.

I like to use my Healing Debuff on my Sniper, lots.

It never counts as damage done though..... All those heals cut short.

Fight the power. We demand equal representation on the Scoreboard. F U Lethality Snipers. Go hide behind your developer! /rude

That doesn't actually affect your damage numbers by using it, though. It doesn't make your Overall Damage go down like this makes our Overall Protection go down.

i think altheran is spot on there, taunts only have effect for your teammates and not yourself.

And as a side question do you realy need more protection ? you can get enough atm alrdy 400k-500k ish

I see your point OP. I doubt this would be changed though. You're helping your group, whether the stats tell this or not.

Would be odd to see an Anni mara with protection (through AgonizingSabers) at the end of a match, on top of heals, wouldn't it?

Edited by Seengularity

i think altheran is spot on there, taunts only have effect for your teammates and not yourself.

5% damage debuffs also affect teammates. The target is dishing out less damage, similar to how taunt works. There's literally no difference.

5% damage debuffs also affect teammates. The target is dishing out less damage, similar to how taunt works. There's literally no difference.

And the target is dishing out less damage to you aswell wich taunt doesnt do you can taunt a player as much as you want his damage is still max against you

• 4 months later...
Also confirming this.

5% isn't a dealbreaker, but as mentioned above, it does actually count AGAINST your protection score when used. You're reducing damage output by 35% when used in conjunction with taunts, but you're only getting credited for 30%. Again, not a big deal, but it does add up over the course of a match.

In the above example, 944k is 95% of 1 million. That extra 5% would've put him very near or even over the 1 million protection mark had it been calculated.

It's not just vanguards -- I've encountered similar protection numbers problems with my Jedi Shadow tank. The more taunting, the lower the protection score. Also, after adding augments relating to defence and absorb, I have also noticed that my protection scores have dropped. :confused:

Flashbang can reduce target accuracy by 20% for 8 seconds after ending.

That's A LOT of damage never done. For classes with debuff stacking based rotations, it's as much as 25% of their damage lost.

Not protection.

Any stun of mezz against a player attacking someone else also, strictly speaking, protects them. Not protection.

You'll notice the protection number actually displays "highest protection in single life" popup. Protection per this game's definition is expected, generally, to lead to you receiving more damage than otherwise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.