EA signs exclusive SW rights with Disney

It doesn't seem to be the case for 1313 sadly :

Link.

Thats a shame, mind you we dont know how far into it they actualy were, the fact ea didnt pick it up might be a sign though but it could be an insperation atleast.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are for the films arnt they, what were the domain names, they could give hints to when the films are being set.

I doubt Wookiee Hunter, Order 67, and the couple others are based off the movies.

They are for the films arnt they, what were the domain names, they could give hints to when the films are being set.

A few mentioned here: Link.

Some of the more notable domain names that were registered include Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Wolf Pack, Star Wars Alliance, and our personal favorite: Wookiee Hunters.

Other domain names include Wolf Pack Adventures, Order 67, Bothan Spies, Gungan Frontier 2, Gungan Frontier 3, and Gungan Frontier 4.

I still don't see that is terrible news. While EA has butchered some companies they still have the monetary power to back some big, awesome games. I don't think you understand how the industry works. Games are extremely expensive now and while I love small independent developers as much as the next guy, they don't have the financial backing for the big projects.

I agree.

Besides... it's short sighted to focus on just the game development side of the equation when discussing why a company like EA won the exclusive rights with Disney. Disney are big boys...they understand how business works.. and that having a great product is useless (even a SW product) if you cannot market it and distribute well, and world wide. They also know the difference between having core competency and tapping core competency in business. EA is core competent in game development, marketing, and distribution. EA brings together studio, marketing, sales channels, and distribution weight in the major consumer channels of brick and mortar. It's a single shop for Disneys needs. It's precisely the kind of operation Disney would be seeking to partner strongly with.

In addition, nobody knows how SW properties will be developed over time. EA is going to be short of headcount to be able to produce all the movie tie-in games needed for Disneys one movie a year release schedule beginning 2015. EA may very well sub-contract (whole, or partial) game design to smaller studios to meet demand.

Edited by Andryah

So Star Wars is now to games what the NFL is: swallowed whole by EA with no chance of competition.

Disney can now crap out crappy games based on all the movies and there will be no Star Wars alternatives.

This IS bad. Truly bad.

So Star Wars is now to games what the NFL is: swallowed whole by EA with no chance of competition.

Disney can now crap out crappy games based on all the movies and there will be no Star Wars alternatives.

This IS bad. Truly bad.

What competition was there before? Star Trek?

That's right, Trekkies. Come get me.

This may be interesting: http://beta.fool.com/thequast/2013/05/09/new-hope-for-star-wars/33900/?source=eogyholnk0000001

Seems like 1313, like any great Bounty Hunter, may have had it's reports of it's death to be greatly exaggerated.

There will be hell to pay if you get the hopes of the natives all worked up.. only to be let down by a press release later on. :D

I agree.

Besides... it's short sighted to focus on just the game development side of the equation when discussing why a company like EA won the exclusive rights with Disney. Disney are big boys...they understand how business works.. and that having a great product is useless (even a SW product) if you cannot market it and distribute well, and world wide. They also know the difference between having core competency and tapping core competency in business. EA is core competent in game development, marketing, and distribution. EA brings together studio, marketing, sales channels, and distribution weight in the major consumer channels of brick and mortar. It's a single shop for Disneys needs. It's precisely the kind of operation Disney would be seeking to partner strongly with.

In addition, nobody knows how SW properties will be developed over time. EA is going to be short of headcount to be able to produce all the movie tie-in games needed for Disneys one movie a year release schedule beginning 2015. EA may very well sub-contract (whole, or partial) game design to smaller studios to meet demand.

all true

time will tell if the result is quality games made for gamers or shallow console ports made for casual players

not trying to upset casual players its just that some people want deep games you can waste hours on . coffee break games are great for well. coffee breaks

All I care about are these few things.

If DICE will make a new BattleFront or some other Star Wars FPS game.

The Battlefield Series is my favorite FPS Series in the entire FPS Genre. I just really prefer there style of Multi-Player FPS GamePlay. It really would fit well for a new Battlefront.

Not sure if anyone has played the First Strike Mod for BF2142. Even though the mod is not made by DICE the mod is for DICE's BF2142 game which worked very well for a Star Wars FPS game. So the chance to see a new Star Wars FPS on there new Frostbite Engine with a combination of Vehicle and Ground Combat would be great. :D

Next...

If Visceral will take over for Star Wars 1313 or what ever game they may make. Hopefully it is 1313. They could really make that into a great game. What ever they make should be great. I am a big fan of Dead Space, so I have great hopes that they can do a good job on something else, especially a Star Wars title.

Also...

I am wondering if other Subsidiaries will get to make something. Like say ReSpawn. :rolleyes:

If ReSpawn could pick up a title then that would great as they have a really good chance to make a great game. The team they have put together is pretty darn impressive. I can't wait to see what there first game is and I hope that later on they pick up a Star Wars title as well.

There will be hell to pay if you get the hopes of the natives all worked up.. only to be let down by a press release later on. :D

If EA renewed the trademark, they must have a play to release it. Though I'm certain it'll only to be an Assassins Creed contender, like with BF and CoD.

What competition was there before? Star Trek?

That's right, Trekkies. Come get me.

As funny as that is, there is some truth to it because beyond MMO's when 1 Game was being made no other company was creating, for the most part, any other Star Wars Game [not counting different developers for the same game but different systems].

hey I haven't time to read what I missed as it's an ungodly hour ( no gods in swtor but meh you get what I mean ) . EA shares up 17 % :o , beating activision he he , anyways something for yall to discuss within this thread , have fun .

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ea-shares-skyrocket-6408102

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'm not surprised, all their shareholders are probably ecstatic about landing such a sweet exclusive deal!