Ability to swap companions on same side and swapping ships.

Hyoga_

Ok so I have all my companions at 10000 affection, I would like to be able to switch companions around between my characters of the same faction once I have them all unlocked. Here is an example.

http://i40.tinypic.com/25an59f.jpg

Also I would love to be able to switch ships. weather buy them from the cartel market or just swap them. I don't get why I have to use the same ship when I already unlocked all of the other ones???

How so if as it is the companions story is not continuing???

Not to mention that not even our main story is continuing... We have planet story which has no impact whatsoever in our companions.

Edited by Hyoga_

Because a Republic Commando running around with Lord Scourge makes no sense at all. The Companions are Class-specific & it is going to stay that way, plus it gives means to play those classes anyway. Besides, getting the Companions to 10k Affection gives you bonuses as it is.

Because a Republic Commando running around with Lord Scourge makes no sense at all. The Companions are Class-specific & it is going to stay that way, plus it gives means to play those classes anyway. Besides, getting the Companions to 10k Affection gives you bonuses as it is.

Indeed, and it's dumb to restrict what companions someone has access to. As a Consular, I'm stuck with a weird religious zealot, a pervert, a bland Twi'lek who I can't customize very well, a generic soldier (not terrible), an annoying butler droid, a psychopathic assassin droid, and a decent Jedi.

Why can't I just buy a T7? Everyone else in the galaxy is able to buy droids, why not me? Can't I hire some dudes to come with me?

Allowing cross-character companions (perhaps at 10k affection and completing class stories) would get me to play more than just my Shadow. For now, I have no reason to do anything else.

Well, given how my Jedi's ship doesn't even have a kolto tank, I'm sure he wouldn't mind using a Smuggler's ship instead. xD I think ship swapping would be problematic due to cut scenes and story stuff though, even post-50.

I can also see the big obvious story problems with Companion-swapping. BUT -- it seems that we will not be getting any class-specific story content going forward. If this is true and does include Companions (and I don't see why it wouldn't, as Companion conversations are class-specific quests), I think it would be nice of Bioware to allow it anyway as a consolation prize of sorts, maybe something you unlock by completing your class story and all of the quests for that specific Companion.

I can see it now: "We know you love Mako, but sorry, your character will never have another conversation with her again. But hey, cheer up, at least now you can now have Mako heal your Sith Warrior too!" Or something like that. :p

Edited by Gwena

Crossing companions over from one character to the next means crossing them over stories as well, & that to me makes no sense at all. I think the little bonuses from the 10k Affection is enough, we don't need story-breaking features like that, same for the ships.

Speaking of ships though, it would be nice to have more designs of ships for each class to choose from. The Force-Sensitive classes always have the same ships really bummed me out, but allowing the classes to use the ships of other classes would not work well - rather, there should simply be ~more class ships to choose from\purchase, whatever.

Bioware/EA already spent a fortune on Voice actors and scenes with the fixed options currently available. Although, I do agree that it would be a neat feature. I suppose if they allowed it _after_ completing your class story, as a reward, then it would reduce the development cost considerably. As for now, I would be happy if Companion Customization face changes would be reflected in the Companion Mission Window; when you have an rp relationship with them the way they appear after being Customized long ago, it's immersion breaking to see the original, now unfamiliar, face. Edited by Vil-lynne

Crossing companions over from one character to the next means crossing them over stories as well, & that to me makes no sense at all. I think the little bonuses from the 10k Affection is enough, we don't need story-breaking features like that, same for the ships.

Speaking of ships though, it would be nice to have more designs of ships for each class to choose from. The Force-Sensitive classes always have the same ships really bummed me out, but allowing the classes to use the ships of other classes would not work well - rather, there should simply be ~more class ships to choose from\purchase, whatever.

This is similar to saying players shouldn't be able to use the same companion on the same planet, because there'd be two of them. (Save for droids, which would be reasonable.)

Generally people who really care about story are the roleplayers, who form their own story and don't incorporate the class canon because it would interfere with other peoples' class canon.

So as a roleplayer, my own story has me not nearly as associated with the Jedi Order as my class canon suggests. Thusly, I would like to have an arrangement of companions more to my tastes as a roleplayer. My roster:

Nadia as a generic padawan or love interest (depending on whether this part of my RP actually gets going).

Tharan as a generic on-board technician.

T7 droid.

Lt. Iresso or Corso Riggs as generic mercenary (I like Corso's voice better, but Iresso has a charm to him).

Blizz because he's awesome.

2V-R8 because my character originates from Imperial space.

HK-51 because OOM droids haven't been invented yet.

Edited by ZoeTuah

Well I assume that means they'd have to make up entirely new voice acting parts if say your Commando were to have Scourge with him, because Scourge saying, "Perhaps you are still young enough to cultivate the teachings of the Sith," to a Trooper, would be ridiculous. Swapping companions between classes would be way too huge of a project, & one that wouldn't even make sense to fulfill, as far as story goes, whether you're looking to RP it or not.

Well I assume that means they'd have to make up entirely new voice acting parts if say your Commando were to have Scourge with him, because Scourge saying, "Perhaps you are still young enough to cultivate the teachings of the Sith," to a Trooper, would be ridiculous. Swapping companions between classes would be way too huge of a project, & one that wouldn't even make sense to fulfill, as far as story goes, whether you're looking to RP it or not.

Things like that are forgivable. I'm sure nobody looks at Super Smash Bros. with distaste for its conflict with many series' canon.

A more in-house example, nobody ever questions where the Jedi Consular gets all these rocks and droids from. Is it coming out of the ground? Why is there no hole there? Why can they do it anywhere at all?

If it really breaks a person's suspension of disbelief, they're not going to use it.

But to lock us into a selection of companions based on what kind of class mechanics we like isn't very compelling. I don't want to have to be stuck with some reptilian religious zealot, a bland jerk of a Twi'lek, or an insufferably chipper gold protocol droid. And there's quite a few people who aren't satisfied with having a perv or that annoying timid schoolgirl of a padawan.

Also, it's not a big project. It may not be as easy as some things I suggest, but it should by no means be difficult.

Well for a game that's based around story, comparing it to Super Smash Bros seems a little irrelevant. Each Companion plays a significant roll during the Class Story, so to interchange that simply to add spice, I admit would be fun, but I feel would be too game-breaking in the respect of preservation for the story. How could your Jedi Guardian even know that Bowdaar exists, if you were to look only at their Class Story?

While something like that shouldn't affect a simply swapping of companions, I have to mention again how the interaction between the characters is the most conflicting part of it. They couldn't use the dialogue meant for the proper Class between the Companion & their new PC, so they'd either have to turn them on mute or develop new dialogue, which doesn't seem like would be a very good priority to undertake with all this other stuff that is currently being developed.

I mention SSB because it's an example of mechanics that butcher story far worse can still be tons of fun.

Perhaps not a great example, but this pain medicine I'm on makes it hard to think of better ones. My point is that not everything has to follow canon absolutely perfectly to make a fun game. Perhaps that multiples-of-companions example was better. Doesn't it conflict with the story to see someone else walking around with the same companion as you?

Regarding conflicts, this is why I suggest restricting it to companions with max affection on characters with their class story completed.

Personally I'd like the option to swap ships. I feel trapped on my Sith Inquisitor Fury because I much prefer the Sith Warrior Fury, but sadly there is no way to swap between them (And trust me, they layouts are a lot different.)

As for companions, yes, I'd like that too, but I realize it would be incredibly difficult to implement. I'd like having Nadia Grell instead of Ashara Zavros because Nadia seems to have more character to her than whiny, wannabe Jedi Ashara. Also wouldn't mind replacing Andronikus with Ensign Temple or Vette, Talos Drellik with Elara...

^ And that's another reason why they won't implement it, everyone knows that Bioware and EA HATE Harems, and Harems would be a likely result of allowing companion swaps (Although for Nadia and Elara, it's not just about the romance, but that I actually PREFER them over their counterparts)

Ahh noo it's way too story breaking! The ships are designed to comfort their respective classes specifically, if you want different ships, ask for there to be more designs to choose from for each class, but not to use the ship of another class.

The Companion thing won't happen because it is incredibly story-breaking & there would be way too much involved in terms of scripting & voicing for the characters which aren't supposed to have any said follower, who now suddenly have them.

Edited by DewyMossEmpire

These sorts of things weren't problems in SWG. If a story gets in the way of having a good game, then what's the point?

Yeah, the story is one of the reasons this game IS good. Therefore, if you break that, you make the game not as good.

Also, you know that SWG was terrible about breaking canon, right? So mentioning it in comparison to a game that is all about lore and story seems a bit pointless.

Edited by seekerofpower

the question I have is... why?

you wouldn't be able to swap them before their story is done, because its a logistical nightmare, since their stories are directly intertwined with that of the class they are attached to. but by the time you have them all at 1k, their worth is more of what they can do - their role. and every class has every role covered.

it sounds even more complicated than character gender swap, and to be honest - pretty pointless.

now. I do think that certain companions fit other classes better (for example IMO - Kaliyo would fit in much better with bounty hunter, given her attitudes, and Tanno Vik seems more like the smuggler type ) however, that's not where they were written and at this point switching them around would be near impossible.

Well some of us we had our alts at max level for a while now. and granted that every companion has a role, as long as we respect that role there shouldn't be an issue swapping them. It is really not to have conversations but more so to be able to run with the companion of you choice, the one that makes the comments you like the best while fighting. the ones that you actually enjoy looking at while fighting. That is the point.

I already have every companion maxed affection and done with the conversations. I will not get any more story with them that portraits just to them. therefore I Don't see the point of not being able to use my favorite companions with my character instead of having to use 5 I don't like and have all the other ones parked on other toons that I don't even like playing with.

If something like this were to be implemented, it would most certainly have to only be allowed after the Class Storyline is 100% complete, because having Companion that your char is not sppsd to have during the Campaign would be utterly game-breaking.

These sorts of things weren't problems in SWG. If a story gets in the way of having a good game, then what's the point?

SWG didn't have a story to it like this game does. SWg basically had to overlying story of the Civil War. That was it. Your character had no storyline to follow, you created it yourself. Here, Bioware creates the stories for each class and their companions. In Galaxies, there were no companions and no storylines to follow. Ships were faction restricted, not designed for a particular class like here.

You can't use Galaxies as a comparison in this discussion because it was a totally differant style MMO than TOR.These things weren't problems in SWg because SWG was not built around story. TOR is, and that is why companion swapping will never work. It would just be story breaking. Future story content would be altered dramatically, both faction and class based. Yes, I said class. Do you really think BW will completely abandon class story content when it is so highly requested? Sometime in the future we will get more individual class stories. Swapping companions would just make no sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.