Endurance vs Mitigation

yllesius

I have a question.

There have several mentions regarding trading Endurance for mitigation. I remember KBN mentioning 31/72 mods offering 2>1 trade are a good choice. However, Dipstik in his post says that only at 2.5>1 trade Endurance becomes worth.

Is there any testing done on this subject or are all of those claims just raw assumptions?

Thanks all for taking time to reply.

Only the lettered mods have a good enough trade to argue for. As far as enhancements go you want the high mitigation every time. Also the lettered mods are only more beneficial to shadows. They are inferior to the other tanks, to the best of my knowledge at least.

I wasn't asking about enhancements, that's a no-brainer.

I'm rather interested if even the 2>1 trade is truly giving more final mitigation. As stated above, Dipstik says it's not worth. KBN said it is but I'm not aware of any research done. 'Good enough trade' is not convincing and judging by the self-heal attained when checking logs, I'm not entirely sure that 2>1 trade is really worth it.

I'm not talking about other tanks, hence why I'm posting this in the Consular: Shadow section. Thanks for your reply hak, but it is quite irrelevant :)

The problem with the Endurance-to-Mitigation comparison and assigning numbers to it is that it depends upon the level of incoming damage, for the same reasons that the answer to what the best relic load out is changes based upon incoming damage: the survivability contributions of Endurance beyond the value of not getting one shot are static whereas the value of mitigation stats scale with incoming damage. As such, you're never going to get a flat conversion rate between the two.

Honestly, the value of Endurance compared to Mitigation, insofar as mods are concerned (in every other case, you want to use the Mitigation option rather than the Endurance option) is more one of personal preference. Personally, I prefer to use unlettered mods exclusively because they combine high Willpower with maximum mitigation. As long as you're not using A variant mods, stacking the wrong enhs or augs, or using a dramatically wrong itemization ratio, you're going to be golden.

Kintrus absolutely right, but it really boils down to preference.

I prefer the lettered mods for the health pool and increased self healing, but for a couple high damage fight the mitigation is the better choice.

Again its all about preference.

As a healer and a tank I prefer damage mitigation over HP pool. While the extra HP seems tempting, i prefer the mitigation because damage mitigated = damage that does not need to be healed. A high HP pool

Is nice for some fights but for most a high HP / low mitigation tank is going to stress the healer and take away from their ability to effectively heal both the tank and group. "Squishy" tanks are not fun to heal. Keep in mind (like Kitru said) that there are many other determining factors and a direct HP to mitigation ratio is difficult to really rationalize. Defensive cool downs, a shadow's self healing ability, and especially skill also need to be taken into account.

It might be different if healers' heals scaled with a tanks HP (ie. a % based heal vs a static number heal) but if you are not mitigating damage and just soaking up damage with HP all the time that translates directly into extra healing required to keep you up.

In the end, I am still a fan of maximum mitigation over stacking END.

As a healer and a tank I prefer damage mitigation over HP pool. While the extra HP seems tempting, i prefer the mitigation because damage mitigated = damage that does not need to be healed. A high HP pool

Is nice for some fights but for most a high HP / low mitigation tank is going to stress the healer and take away from their ability to effectively heal both the tank and group. "Squishy" tanks are not fun to heal. Keep in mind (like Kitru said) that there are many other determining factors and a direct HP to mitigation ratio is difficult to really rationalize. Defensive cool downs, a shadow's self healing ability, and especially skill also need to be taken into account.

It might be different if healers' heals scaled with a tanks HP (ie. a % based heal vs a static number heal) but if you are not mitigating damage and just soaking up damage with HP all the time that translates directly into extra healing required to keep you up.

In the end, I am still a fan of maximum mitigation over stacking END.

I am not talking about taking HP over mitigation, god forbid.

I am talking about the self-healing gain (self-heals scale with the % of our total hp). Since it is treated as mitigation, my question was, if the extra self-healing gained while using Endurance heavy mods gives more mitigation than the extra defense/absorb gained while using mitigation heavy mods.

Most of the time, those numbers will be pretty much the same imo. But as Kitru said, it probably cannot be tracked to the level where we could firmly confirm either of those being the ultimately better choice.

So my reason to ask in the first place was whether someone has tried to measure the significance of these two ways of modding.

If you really dig into the threads, you will find where one of the two did provide all the math. I think it was Dipstick.

The result was pretty much what you've already read and know. The value of endurance as a mitigation stat varies just like Kitru said. But looking at the actual numbers.... The ratios for the various fights in S&V ranged from 2:1 (which makes B modding good) all the way up to numbers as high as 3.75:1 (I rounded a bit). So while yes (on some fights) endurance provides better heal-mit. It's not consistant enough to warrant gearing that way full time. So your options are carry multiple sets of gear, take the time and creds to swap mods between every fight, or just roll with a high mitigation set at all times.

Edited by Grumpftard

I believe the current content does not require this swapping for each individual boss so I personally stick with mitigation all the way.

I mean it might sometimes be slightly better to have higher HP (for certain fights) but it still wouldn't be the decisive point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.