Standardize range for companions 'charge' ability

swtonewbie

Hi everybody,

I've been playing my Jedi Sage a lot in the last few days. And one of the things i've noticed about Qyzen Fess, is that it seems like he takes a bit longer to engage. The range on his charge ability "Flush Prey" is only 5-15m. For comparison, Khem Val has a 100m max range on his ability...although it is a dash. However both of these abilities serve as a gap closer for them since they are melee tanks. The difference is with Qyzen, if i am at 30m range and i hit CTRL+1 to get him to attack i have to: wait for the small pause, watch him unsheath his weapon, walk to within 15m of the target, then charge. Keeping in mind that once you CTRL+1 a mob your sprint is disabled meaning your companions sprint is also disabled.

So my suggestion is to standardize the range on all charge/dash type abilities. Make them all 35 meters, or at least look at all the companions that have a very short range charge/dash ability and bring them up a little bit higher to either 30 or 35 meters. I think melee dps/tanks and range tanks are the only ones that have a charge, dash and i think one comp has a grapple/pull.

thanks

Edited by swtonewbie

I think they should give them bach their 30m range. The change is non-understandable.

I'd add that because of it, Ranged Tank behave strangely, or at least Pierce do. His charge is not on his priority list, he just do what he can at his range, meaning that when in the 20-30m range bracket, he only do 30m abilities.

As a result, he is bad as hell, he have bad aggro because the abilities meant to build aggro are his point blank ones and never go into this range... unless the NPC is running towards him and enter the 20m range, then Pierce will charge.

If you want ranged tanks to not hold aggro too easily when in DPS stance, then make them so they behave like this in DPS stance only. In tank stance, they have to do their best as holding aggro, and it means charging into melee as soon as possible.

Edited by Altheran

I think they should give them bach their 30m range. The change is non-understandable

Wait a sec...are you saying that at one point Qyzen **had** a 30 meter charge but they changed it to 15 meters?

I think they tried to RP a little with Qyzens gap closer ability. Everybody else simply has the generic charge or dash (with some having the grapple or w/e). But with Qyzen they may have though 'ohh he's a trandoshan, they are a hunter oriented race' so they created a special charge ability for him and named it 'Flush Prey'. But i simply cannot understand the reasoning for them going from a 30m charge to 15m charge (if that was the case before).

Wait a sec...are you saying that at one point Qyzen **had** a 30 meter charge but they changed it to 15 meters?

I think they tried to RP a little with Qyzens gap closer ability. Everybody else simply has the generic charge or dash (with some having the grapple or w/e). But with Qyzen they may have though 'ohh he's a trandoshan, they are a hunter oriented race' so they created a special charge ability for him and named it 'Flush Prey'. But i simply cannot understand the reasoning for them going from a 30m charge to 15m charge (if that was the case before).

Yes. All the tanks companion did get a charge with 30m range, maybe except Khem Val and his dash (which both have advantages and inconvienients).

Companions can have a charge compatible with the fact they are non-force users (they don't do a plain 30m leap), and their charge can look more like Vanguard's Storm (fast sprint, and leap half way)

Like I said earlier, their behavior is to simply use what they can at their range andseek for auto attack when nothing special can be used. So when the charge was 30m, this how they acted towards a 20-30m ranged NPC pack :

Melee

Unseethe > Charge > Point blank AoEs (extra threat ones)

Ranged

Casted single hit > All other ranged attacks > charge > point blank AoEs (extra threat ones)

Now it is :

Melee

Unseethe > Walks (as he can do nothing) and reach 20m range > Charge > Point blank AoEs (extra threat ones)

Result : a bit longer to initiate the fight

Ranged

Casted single hit > All other ranged attacks > Auto attacks

Result : very bad aggro and bad DPS as he will not use half of his attacks, unless you manually order him to charge, or put a NPC in his 20m range (knockbacks, pulls).

Edited by Altheran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.