Finally Getting To Makeb, Enjoying It But...

I'm not liking the black screen every time you take a speeder, a short cut by Bioware that should have not been there, it really breaks immersion. I hope the next time they make a DLC, that they reconsider that. Edited by AlaricSevGirl

I'm not liking the black screen every time you take a speeder, a short cut by Bioware that should have been there, it really breaks immersion. I hope the next time they make a DLC, that they reconsider that.

I guess they did it to please the whining masses that complain about travel times.

Problem is, once you've done Makeb once during levelling then you will be returning there mostly for dailies and the weekly. These are grindy enough already, due to mob density, mission design, amount of travelling needed within a zone etc. So to add speeder journey time would just make things worse. The only other option would be a highly accelerated speeder, which would probably be just as immersion breaking as a black screen.

This was pretty much the last thing on my mind. No, it wasn't even on my mind. I don't think watching a space car fly for 5-10mins is worth...anything. Different strokes for different folks but I don't think Bioware is going to expand on the idea of watching the space car fly. Its a waste of time for "most" people.

More like 2 minutes. Or 30 seconds, whatever.

Taxi travel isn't that long.

I agree, it really breaks immersion.

They should make it optional: normal taxi travel for those of us who are...well, normal, for lack of a better word...and the "fade-to-black" quicktravel version for min/maxers who approach the game as a race to reach top-level stats.

Edited by Machine-Elf

More like 2 minutes. Or 30 seconds, whatever.

It takes over 5 minutes if you take a taxi from one end of Alderaan to other end, at least. Could use a black screen there...

I found this a little weird first, but I got used to it. Not really annoying anymore.

Some of those long speeder rides do get a bit annoying.... but, I'm wondering if they actually did this because there are so many areas on Makeb that are unfinished in the places you aren't supposed to walk.

And if they're going to implement something like this it makes no sense for every single one of the preceding planets before Makeb to take a different route.

It's called "improving over time". They didn't go back to rework the older lengthy taxi rides, but they've made taxi rides in the new content better.

I'm not liking the black screen every time you take a speeder, a short cut by Bioware that should have not been there, it really breaks immersion. I hope the next time they make a DLC, that they reconsider that.

This was actually one of the first things I noticed about Makeb that annoyed me. I like to see the Scenery of game worlds. Makeb is pretty cool and I was expecting to see more of it when I traveled between the zones. Sadly though they decided to remove that. I am not sure if it was because of people complaining about travel times or BioWare just taking a shortcut in designing or programming of the world. But for me I think that it sucks. :(

What is a few extra seconds anyways? Really! :rolleyes:

Edited by WarbNull

It's called "improving over time". They didn't go back to rework the older lengthy taxi rides, but they've made taxi rides in the new content better.

It's also called inconsistent development. If it really was an improvement—which, as this thread indicates, is debatable—then they should have taken the time to "improve" the taxi rides on the other planets.

I maintain they should make it optional.

It's also called inconsistent development. If it really was an improvement—which, as this thread indicates, is debatable—then they should have taken the time to "improve" the taxi rides on the other planets.

I maintain they should make it optional.

Sure, they could have spent the time to make all the other taxis work the same way. However, that's not necessarily desirable. For example, some taxi rides are purposely pathed to show you things like Datacrons.

Also, that's additional investment into old features with negligible to questionable benefit. That's not a trade-off decision most software project managers would make. Most would prefer focus forward, at least in the absence of serious defects.

I liked the concept, but not it's implementation. I would have liked if it gave you the option to watch the ride or not. For me I really wanted to get the nice aerial views the first time through the beautiful new planet, but it would have gotten old fast and I would have wanted to switch the to system we were all forced to. The funny thing is you can see that they actually did plot speeder path. Occasionally the black screen loads at the wrong time and you see the speeder take the flight path at like 10,000x times normal speeder speed. It's quite funny.

I suspect it was just a cost/benefit decision. Would it have been worth all of the design time to create all of the non-playable areas between zones just so people could enjoy the scenery of a taxi ride? Since the game went F2P, all design decisions are going to face this sort of cost/benefit analysis. The lack of a taxi ride doesn't break my immersion any more than seeing DarthNoob or HamSolo run past me when I'm out questing.

I suspect it was just a cost/benefit decision. Would it have been worth all of the design time to create all of the non-playable areas between zones just so people could enjoy the scenery of a taxi ride? Since the game went F2P, all design decisions are going to face this sort of cost/benefit analysis. The lack of a taxi ride doesn't break my immersion any more than seeing DarthNoob or HamSolo run past me when I'm out questing.

The interesting thing is that it's not actually a lack of a taxi ride. It's just the game painting black over the screen during an extremely accelerated taxi ride.

Whenever you get that black over the screen, something is actually going on. They just don't want you to see it for whatever reason.

I guess they did it to please the whining masses that complain about travel times.

Exactly.

This was a cave in to people complaining about having to endure the flight time from point A to point B. A silly complaint in my mind but obviously not to everyone.

That's why I turn off nameplates.

jesus christ... people are having "immersion" issues because the devs rightfully eliminated the tedious travel times in game?

The less load screens/slogging across landscapes/sitting in taxis unable to do anything the better.

what the hell is wrong with you people? they finally got something right instead of working on more cartel packs they solved an in game time sink that no one should miss...except the OP, apparently.

jesus christ... people are having "immersion" issues because the devs rightfully eliminated the tedious travel times in game?

The less load screens/slogging across landscapes/sitting in taxis unable to do anything the better.

what the hell is wrong with you people? they finally got something right instead of working on more cartel packs they solved an in game time sink that no one should miss...except the OP, apparently.

Some of us view the game as an experience to be relished, as opposed to a minor inconvenience to avoid during our race to level cap and subsequent min/maxing efforts.

Some of us view the game as an experience to be relished, as opposed to a minor inconvenience to avoid during our race to level cap and subsequent min/maxing efforts.

Can you PLEASE stop exaggerating and making everyone who disagrees with you out to be the bad guys?

You have one playstyle. Almost every person has a different playstyle. I LOVE walking places, and exploring areas that I may not have been before. Especially when I accidentally end up in an enemy base on Hoth.

Some people may not like that. Does that mean they're racing through the game? No.

I enjoyed the travel time while leveling. After 6 characters on some of those planets -- I've literally seen it all. You CANNOT tell me that, after watching the same never-changing scenery, you don't get a little bored of it.

I've enjoyed the rest of Makeb. I trust that they could've done this for a really good reason, beyond "caving" to those horrible people you think ruined the immersion for you. It isn't game-breaking to either side -- it's inconsequential for most people, and only a minor annoyance for others.

If you are actually enjoying this game significantly less because of something that small -- I hope you have followed the news on 2.1. A hot pink Revan's Mask walking by would ruin immersion for me much more than lack of scenery on a 5 second taxi ride.

If you are actually enjoying this game significantly less because of something that small -- I hope you have followed the news on 2.1. A hot pink Revan's Mask walking by would ruin immersion for me much more than lack of scenery on a 5 second taxi ride.

Actually, "Lore Items", like Revan's mask, will not be open to color customization.

But if you've kept up with my posts, you'll have noticed the great trepidation with which I've reacted to armor dyes, as this post in the following thread indicates:

I just hope armor dyes doesn't = Shocking Pink Jedi robes.

That's just one of the many comments I've made in which I expressed a distaste for what armor dyes might entail.

Finally, notice how I took other players' playstyles into consideration by suggesting sped up taxi rides be optional.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.