Item Bolstering Clarity

Ryvirath

I've seen a lot of this and it's always a chore to explain to people why wearing pre-WH gear (centurion, champion, BM) is worse then wearing no gear. Or why slotting an expertise crystal into a full 63 lightsaber is going to paradoxically reduce their expertise by a huge amount. The system is pretty obvious once you understand it. Expertise in any slot flags the entire item as pvp and the item won't benefit from the bolstering affects of expertise. Also as you gear past 63 pve gear bolster affects gear less and less. Either bolster needs to become more intelligent or a guide needs to be included explaining how it works to newer players.

I've seen a lot of this and it's always a chore to explain to people why wearing pre-WH gear (centurion, champion, BM) is worse then wearing no gear. Or why slotting an expertise crystal into a full 63 lightsaber is going to paradoxically reduce their expertise by a huge amount. The system is pretty obvious once you understand it. Expertise in any slot flags the entire item as pvp and the item won't benefit from the bolstering affects of expertise. Also as you gear past 63 pve gear bolster affects gear less and less. Either bolster needs to become more intelligent or a guide needs to be included explaining how it works to newer players.

To elaborate a bit, I hit 55 with full columi pve gear, I was bolstered to ~1900 (!!!) expertise, I am now in full 69 PvE gear (Still some crap 50 auggies but I'm working on that) and I am around 1450 (Still wow) expertise. If I pop on my new PvP relic and a crystal I drop to 1200ish.

It basically is not worth wearing PvP gear until you have a full set.

I didn't do any tests with my old Champ/centurion gear since it wasn't even close to those numbers back before my first quit. (Part of why I had crap gear 1.0-1.2 then back for RotHC)

Edited by Battyone

Yeah, there are so many dumb little things in bolster that aren't immediately obvious that need to be explained or fixed so unaware players won't be putting themselves at a disadvantage.

That's one of the main problems with Bolster. The system is simply not transparent. The stats on your gear used to be the stats you had - what you see is what you get. That's no longer the case. They should have found a way to achieve the goals of bolster while maintaining this very basic functionality.

I really don't understand what is so hard about factoring in existing expertise. If it's an extra stat on armoring/mods/enhancements just ignore it and apply the bolster algorithm to the rest of the stats, if it's a crystal, see it as power and move on. There should be no reason why I can't equip the color crystals I want because it will damage my stats in pvp.:rak_01:

I sadly still don't get it. I can craft a set of blue 28 mods (66 equivalent?) for a new 55. Would that be a good start for 55 pvp? Would 25 Makeb mods be better? Would using my conqueror mainhand drag my bolster down? What's the ideal item level considering I can't access columi?

That's one of the main problems with Bolster. The system is simply not transparent. The stats on your gear used to be the stats you had - what you see is what you get. That's no longer the case. They should have found a way to achieve the goals of bolster while maintaining this very basic functionality.

I agree with this SO much. Can you imagine if PvE gear worked this way in operations? The Flashpoints & Operations subforum would absolutely explode with rage.

I don't play enough to get the comms or money to swap all my mods so I just play it my old Battlemaster Gear till it slowly gets upgraded.

I still do above average damage, healing and objectives among my teammates so maybe I'm just an awesome player?

The basic logic is that any gear above the best PvP gear (rating 154) loses significant Expertise to ensure they're worse than Conqueror by a significant amount. Therefore the best PvE gear to wear, until you can get Conqueror, is rating 152, which is from level 54 crafted RE recipoes.

The advanced 25 mods are 156 and are too high. The blue 25 mods are 148 or 146 (forgot exact amount) and probably are better anyway for PvP.

The closer to rating 154, the better gear it is for PvP, but you cannot go over it. Of course in the long run, Conqueror gear is exactly rating 154 so they'll still be best, but you get like 98% the stats of a Conqueror piece with rating 152, including the expertise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.