What Really Makes RotHC For Me...

dankat

SWTOR for the longest time didn't have something. And it was something important. A sense of living in the universe. SWG accomplished this, which is why it is revered despite it's many problems. You never felt you lived in the Star Wars universe. Questing was an immensely enjoyable campaign, with there being the acclaimed story, polished and immense amount of gameplay. There was fun group content and over time the elder game became robust and offered distinct fights and gearing systems to differ itself from other MMORPGs. The game did bring a number of unique things. But I never quite felt like a denizen of the Star Wars Universe.

I never felt any incentive to visit older places, making that 'immensely enjoyable campaign,' not much, unless you replayed it (which they did encourage with the Legacy System). With Macrobinoculars and Seeker Droids, the ambient dig sites, GSI daily quests and Shroud and Seeds of Rage story arcs, I feel incentivized to go back, and see some different thing to do and achieve than before.

Legacy Achievements work perfectly well in incentivizing and rewarding the players to do things and explore things they normally wouldn't, as well as give the game longevity, something that SWTOR lacked for a while. But it's here now.

Now onto story. Story in SWTOR was always brilliant, but I feel RotHC went a step beyond. Not only did they provide us with the plethora of lore, fun characters, scenarios, choices, romances and antagonists that they did before, but they improved the gameplay in those scenarios (Questing In Makeb, Puzzle Questing for the Shroud and the Seeds of Rage), and more importantly told the story visually. With stunning new cinematography that SWTOR's story deserved, the story has much greater energy and momentum, especially considering how focused it is. Everything had to do with the main Makeb story, and I prefer that form of storytelling over Classic SWTOR's.

For example,

Katha Niar's death felt truly involving, the music cue, the character herself, the cinematography, was way better than most story moments in any bit of Classic SWTOR, and in that way, more involving. I felt more immeresed with the experience.

Makeb itself is a living world. I was immediately impressed with it's beauty, massive amount of questing, living environment with moving people and interaction.

TL;DR: RotHC was pretty cool. Thanks BioWare.

I completely agree. While there are still several features from swg that I miss in swtor, I still find all of the content (at least pve as i don't do pvp) engaging and enjoyable. Being a bit of an altaholic, things are kept fresh by experiencing content from both rep and imp perspective, and largely completely disparate content that feels new and different each time. Overall, RothC has been outstanding and mostly enjoyable.

• 5 weeks later...
Yeah i really liked makeb... the only thing that bothered me was the density of mobs, which could be explained in the story, but was still annoying.

Actually, I have always felt pretty proud of myself when I find ways to avoid aggro on crowds of mobs. It is challenging but generally not impossible while navigating Makeb. There is always that little rock shelf or space behind a wall where you can cruise just out of the mobs' sights. I actually found that the devs seemed to put a lot of thought into this on Makeb. They needed enough mobs to be able to have many, many players running the same missions simultaneously, but also give routes (albeit sometimes difiicult to find) to allow the less belligerent players to circumnavigate.

The first time I arrived on Makeb, the opening cinematic of the ship reaching the planet and everything that followed made me think this is what they all should be like. The only other time in the class story you see this kind of quality is in the very first "scene" in your class quest, after that there are only a few exceptions to just having a holocall with someone across the galaxy, or in your little conference room on the ship.

The Makeb landing sequence is a nice reminder of the kind of landings we had back in KOTOR. Let's have more of that! even if it means redoing the ones we have now.

The Imp story for Makeb was very good. The Pub story was horridly dull. Neither are worth doing twice imo. Many prior planet storylines were much better, and the Makeb story doesn't even touch the class stories...well, except for Trooper, but that's just because that class story is straight garbage.

I can't express my supreme disappointment with the design of the planet itself. The mesa idea is great for a single player game, but horrible for an MMO. Makeb was my personal hope for the revival of organic OPvP, but the mesa layout diminishes the potential for fights bigger than 1v1s or 2v2s. Everything is too clustered together and driven into the dirt by npc oversaturation.

Not to mention that the physics of the planet itself never made any sense to me. For instance, why do groundquakes happen on the mesas when they are floating in air? There are other elements that bugged me to, but whatever (don't want to put out any spoilers).

The cinematics were outstanding. There was that plus.

Glad some people liked it. I'll just be leveling via PvP for my remaining toons and foregoing Makeb entirely.

Edited by DarthOvertone

I love Makeb, it has a great story, I just wish I could replay it again instead of doing boring daily quests. Why are not all the story content like class stories and some of the planetary stories and flashpoint stories like The Jedi Prisoner repeatable? Replaying my class story again in one go would be epic, especially now that I have some cool looking armor to use in cutscenes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.